Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Isn't that one of the contributing factors to the obesity problem in this country?: added hormones in the beef which is then consumed by people...if it's given to the cows to bulk them up??? Such an artificial way of growing food is going to have negative impact on the consumers (people).

Thanks for all of the interesting posts about the trailer fast food places - I'm wondering if their meat also has hormones added to it? Is most of the meat we buy in the supermarket like this? Makes me want to have my own chickens (raise them) and skip eating beef altogether. Although, I'm sure there's a local ordinance to prevent me from doing so.
Well, lots of good books too...Here's a good one I read two years ago...

Amazon.com: Beyond Beef: The Rise and Fall of the Cattle Culture (Plume): Jeremy Rifkin: Books

I didn't stop eating meat after reading, but I learned all I ever wanted to know about the whole process from that book......older but still current, as thats how long they have been doing this to the beef...

BTW, teen-agers actually mature earlier BECAUSE of those hormones that make their way in beef and milk....read somewhere that girls reach puberty 1-2 years earlier just because of that, and boys the same......
thats beyond the other problems for adults....risk of diseases, far beyond the mad cow variety......

I thank everyone for posting too, as I have not thought of this for a few years.......time to mend MY eating habits as well..

oh, and then you have the whole contaminated beef thing, which was ALWAYS a prob.....

Colorado bad beef recall-380,000 pounds! | Press Release

and remember that Mcd's only cooks your burger for 42 seconds after you read that last link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Regarding the "girls mature earlier because of the hormones", in our family (anecdotal, but it does rule out the genetics issue), my sister and I matured VERY early (I'm almost 60, she's in her 70's) - I started maturing at 9 and periods at 10. Our daughters, on the other hand, matured several years later than we did. We ate beef with no hormones; they ate beef with hormones. So it's not all that cut and dried.

You can, however, continue to eat beef without worrying about hormones, simply by eating grass-fed beef, which has the advantage of having more flavor (just like free range chickens, and their eggs, have more flavor - we're not the only ones who are what we eat, after all!). Locally (which makes it even more likely that you'll know what was fed to it), you can get grass-fed beef at a variety of places, but I recommend starting at Ross Farm and going from there. You can even find someone to raise a steer for you and deliver it to the slaughter house where you can have it custom butchered.

You can, indeed, raise chickens in Austin. In fact, there was a backyard chicken coop tour city-wide recently, and following it, someone started the Austin Backyard Poultry Meetup Group, if you'd like some help getting started.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
My boss has a bunch of chickens out in Manor. It's great, free eggs!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Seriously, what better time, with the recession, to grow your own.......you can eat the chickens as well.....and slaughter your own meat...even hunt it and freeze it from hunting trips doing the same, just like keeping frozen fish in freezer.......

Per girls maturing early......many studies have mentioned early sexual maturing as causing far higher rates of breast cancer...hence so much of it in the population now....and far more in the future....
That could all be wrong, but who knows? One thing we know for sure...Milk and most domestic beef is shot full of bovine growth hormone, we ingest some everyday, accumulate it during a lifetime in fat tissues, of which breasts compose much of, which could be causing single-handedly the high breast cancer.......think of all the "think pink" walkathons for breast cancer now.......maybe if we just stopped injecting the bovine hormone, the cancer would subside......

Too much money made by Big Ag for them to stop, unless people demand they stop doing it..

Interesting article...

Early Sexual Maturity and Milk Hormones

From the article:
Little girls do not take birth control pills. Little girls do not inject steroids, and do not require estrogen replacement therapy. Little girls are born with bodies that are genetically pre-programmed to transform them into women. By consuming cow's milk and cow's milk products, little girls become big girls long before Mother Nature intended. Is being taller, having larger than normal breasts, starting your period earlier than you're designed to, and increasing your risk of breast cancer worth it?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Seriously, what better time, with the recession, to grow your own.......you can eat the chickens as well.....and slaughter your own meat...even hunt it and freeze it from hunting trips doing the same, just like keeping frozen fish in freezer.......

Per girls maturing early......many studies have mentioned early sexual maturing as causing far higher rates of breast cancer...hence so much of it in the population now....and far more in the future....
That could all be wrong, but who knows? One thing we know for sure...Milk and most domestic beef is shot full of bovine growth hormone, we ingest some everyday, accumulate it during a lifetime in fat tissues, of which breasts compose much of, which could be causing single-handedly the high breast cancer.......think of all the "think pink" walkathons for breast cancer now.......maybe if we just stopped injecting the bovine hormone, the cancer would subside......

Too much money made by Big Ag for them to stop, unless people demand they stop doing it..

Interesting article...

Early Sexual Maturity and Milk Hormones

From the article:
Little girls do not take birth control pills. Little girls do not inject steroids, and do not require estrogen replacement therapy. Little girls are born with bodies that are genetically pre-programmed to transform them into women. By consuming cow's milk and cow's milk products, little girls become big girls long before Mother Nature intended. Is being taller, having larger than normal breasts, starting your period earlier than you're designed to, and increasing your risk of breast cancer worth it?
Followed your link, who is Robert Cohen? Is he an expert? Anyone can create a web page, please cite these numerous studies? My understanding that was girls were reaching puberty earlier because of more body fat. That may have to do more with our becoming a completely industrialized society - far less physical activity than we used to engage in. And before you ask me to cite my source, I'll tell you that I don't remember where I read it so you should take it for what it is, conjecture.

Last edited by Jennibc; 07-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: adding an omitted word

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I was wondering that, and then I went to the Home Page and then I looked around, and, yeah, I'd really like something a little more objective for a cite.

As I said about my own story, it was strictly anecdotal. Simply an observation that it's not a black and white causality situation.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM

This one is from a consortium of Physicians........read into it what you will......

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (http://www.psr.org/chapters/oregon/recombinant-bovine-growth.html - broken link)

All I can say is that anyone that consumes processed food unquestioningly, especially after word is out regarding the processes of the same, and doesn't care, or doesn't mind, or thinks it silly to mention such things, isn't worrying about it anyway.....

Maybe its all inflammatory nonsence....but, I've heard this stuff on major news stories for years, so this isn't exactly new.....and Monsanto and such seem to be backing away from such charges now, along with the whole GMF controversy......

Not many options....eat without worrying about it, and say that its wrong or silly, or find out what they ARE putting in what you eat, and do something about it......

BTW, Whole Foods has lots of milk-options...and beef options.......thank God for them.......

Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
This one is from a consortium of Physicians........read into it what you will......

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (http://www.psr.org/chapters/oregon/recombinant-bovine-growth.html - broken link)

All I can say is that anyone that consumes processed food unquestioningly, especially after word is out regarding the processes of the same, and doesn't care, or doesn't mind, or thinks it silly to mention such things, isn't worrying about it anyway.....

Maybe its all inflammatory nonsence....but, I've heard this stuff on major news stories for years, so this isn't exactly new.....and Monsanto and such seem to be backing away from such charges now, along with the whole GMF controversy......

Not many options....eat without worrying about it, and say that its wrong or silly, or find out what they ARE putting in what you eat, and do something about it......

BTW, Whole Foods has lots of milk-options...and beef options.......thank God for them.......
I don't think anyone here has said that they don't care or don't mind, at least my only point was that whenever I see someone saying numerous studies - I'd like to know what those are so I can evaluate the information for myself. So many people bandy about the phrase "numerous studies show" that it really means nothing without being able to take a look at where the information comes from.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I don't think anyone here has said that they don't care or don't mind, at least my only point was that whenever I see someone saying numerous studies - I'd like to know what those are so I can evaluate the information for myself. So many people bandy about the phrase "numerous studies show" that it really means nothing without being able to take a look at where the information comes from.
I'd imagine a consortium of physicians would have at least a modicum of trust.....

Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I'd imagine a consortium of physicians would have at least a modicum of trust.....
What does this have to do with my post? I was explaining why I don't trust something that says numerous studies. And honestly, no, sometimes consortiums of physicians are on pharmaceutical payrolls. So again, it is always best to see the original information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin