Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 AM

205 posts, read 617,805 times

Advertisements

Good point CATXTransplant...it was early morning, but I confess I associated the handle with a male and now that I think about it, could just as easily be a female. Now, the problem is, if this thread is no longer being read by Flower Pots (which I think sounds better than refering to Old Toilets) we may never know for sure. I guess I could have looked at the profile. I form a picture of who is posting from the handle and the content of the posts. So it is funny when the gender/age/race etc is way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:21 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
and reading your post, I'm picturing a female. Not because of anything you said, just a feeling. It always makes me laugh when I talk with out of clients for a long time over the phone, I get a mental picture and they usually look nothing like it! Interesting the way the brain works...

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM

LOL CATXTransplant
That's great to read! My husband often jokes around and says "I married a man", simply because I am competitive; goal-oriented; decisive; aggressive (when I need to be), risktaker and thrive on challenge. Although I am very nurturing and protective of the young, the old, the underdog etc. I like to see all sides of an argument, but I have a low tolerance of bigotry, racism etc and will challenge that kind of thinking. I'm an idealist when it comes to society...I don't see any reason (excuse) for the status quo...society should always be evolving for the betterment of humanity and the world we live in.
I think my liberal expression of emotions in my posts are a dead giveaway that I'm female - it's hard to get away from stereotyping yourself, LOL. We could get on a whole new topic..I'm going to start it now!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
You look like Bill Gates in dreadlocks in that! LOL!.....very hip.....seriously...you looked very cool back then!
I'll take that as a compliment.

And you, sir ITC, look much different than I imagined. I pictured an overweight bearded computer nerd in his 50s with glasses and a plaid sport shirt with pocket protector. The type one might procure from Central Casting for a movie part where the slightly quirky but very smart Mountain Dew swilling geek hacks into the mainframe to save the world from doom.

Instead you present as a dashing, fit everyman who probably stands ready to aid and assist strangers in need, especially damsels in distress. At least that's my take on your pic.

Steve

Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM

Austin-Steve kudos to you.
IMHO that has to be the most entertaining post I've read from you (forgive me but my history with this board only goes back a few weeks, so you can correct me if there's been others that would blow your last post out of the water)
I liken you to a vine that creeps up and before you know it, has embedded itself permanently in the landscape. Many twists and turns as it spreads its tendrils.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM

477 posts, read 1,581,348 times
Seriously, my last post was commenting on how interesting it is that we form mental pictures of eachother in our heads. And, how funny when we do find out we were way off. Apparently, I really offended OldToilets who just sent me a direct message telling me to respect his/her privacy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't I have to know something about them or be asking about them to be invading their privacy? What we know about eachother, we know from previous posts. Since when do I have to sensor my own thoughts and musings? Isn't that the point of a blog?

Last edited by CATXTransplant; 08-06-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM

CATXTransplant...I can empathesize with you - it's not a wrongdoing unless you're aware of it at the outset. And that's next to impossible to know in this setting. Regardless of this being an online gathering of people and their ideas - everyone has a personal bubble which needs to be respected. It's a little difficult to gauge the prefered distance (level/closeness) that each person sets - so, it's inevitable that from time to time someone's toes get trod on (metaphorically speaking).

I'm with InTheCut on his intent for this thread, there's nothing sinister or shady about it. Human beings when given the option to live in the dark or the light predominantly choose the light - that's what it seems to me to be the intent, to shed some light on who it is we are interacting with on a regular basis. I can't imagine meeting someone face to face and there not being some sort of exchange so why should it be any different here?...Everyone is at liberty to share or withhold as they so choose. There's also plenty of voyeurs, who never post but read everything. They remain anonymous through choice - you could of course speculate why but this is not a witchhunt!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio2texas View Post
I have to agree! I've met some really wonderful people on message forums! I think this is great, although I wouldn't consider myself a "regular". Here ya go!
Thanks for posting your pic, Ohio! You definitely look happy in it!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Agreed. It's important to respect others boundaries. While it is interesting to compare real images with preconceived ones, I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone for not playing. Sort of goes against the ethos of the thread: a good will attempt to create a more trusting virtual relationship by investing a layer of personal info.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
BTW, here's the HST suicide note:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always b*tchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."

I promise you, I'm not that guy!
Man...first time I read that was about a month ago in Ralph Steadman's book about HST.......yeah, pretty heavy suicide note...he planned his way "out" in '79, designing his blastoff of ashes on a rocket, and Johnny Depp actually paid to build it and shoot it off.....and Hunter lived 100 lifetimes as it was, had a debilitating illness, and just thought it time to check out...he made sure family was there when he did it, and they thought a bookshelf fell over......He certainly marched to his own beat, but was surely a great writer for our time......read just one of his RS articles for proof!

BTW, Twange, they played "Spirit in the SKy" when they shot off the rocket....how cool is that?

Hunter Thompson's Final Blast-Off - TalkLeft: The Politics Of Crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin