Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the boycott of Arizona?
Yes 27 25.47%
No 76 71.70%
Not sure 3 2.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,739 times

Advertisements

Austin residents, do you support the city council's boycott of Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM

206 posts, read 483,582 times
I'd like to boycott the Austin City Council by voting them all out of office.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Does the City Council not have any AUSTIN business they could be taking care of??? It's bad enought that we're a 'sanctuary city' (whatever that means!)....but really, Arizona citizens and their laws are none of our business!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Austin doesn't do any business with the State of AZ. That came out in a memo to the council before the vote. Makes their whole "boycott" issue kind of moot.

Austin will not do business with Arizona
"Austin has no contracts with or investments in the state of Arizona, according to memos from city controller Diana Thomas."

Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
This is the first thing in a long time that I am in complete agreement with the Austin City Council, and the resolution did not take long. I wish it had more teeth. The recent laws in Arizona simply provide grounds for the racist harassment of that state's extensive Latin@ population and the bill against ethnic studies and teachers with accents that Hitler's ugly step-daughter signed today is profoundly un-American, and will hopefully be found so by the Supreme Court. I will not spend a penny in the state of Arizona until these laws are revoked, and am delighted to hear that the fascist k-unt is starting to worry because of all the canceled conventions in Phoenix - some 90 million $ in revenue lost. God bless the good people of Tucson and their leaders who are fighting this tooth and nail! And while I love the Spurs, for the time being I am am happy to say Go Los Suns, Go! What is happening to this country when regular citizens have to answer the request "papers, please?" The whole thing is a disgrace and while I wish the Austin City Council would address a range of more local issues, on this particular account, they have my full support!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,789 times
"What is happening to this country when regular citizens have to answer the request "papers, please?"

Really????? There are so many other things happening to this country that make this necessary!!!
I will gladly provided papers if that is needed to make a change.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
I am personally boycotting the state of Arizona. I have lived in a police state overseas and it is not fun. We are becoming what we say we hate.

Now, they have passed a law banning any high school or middle school electives that focus on ethnicity. So elective classes in African American history or Latin American studies are banned. Idiots!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 AM

22 posts, read 44,558 times
I'm just curious, how many have actually read the bill?

Here is the bill summary on what situations the police have the authority to ask for immigration papers:

The bill requires a reasonable attempt to be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of a person:
a) For any lawful stop, detention or arrest made by a law enforcement official or agency of the state or political subdivision;
b) In the enforcement of any other law or ordinance of a county, city or town or this state; and
c) If reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an unlawfully present alien.

It's no different than if I go to Europe and get stopped by police, then I have to show either proof of citizenship or a valid passport. Shoot when I was in Germany, I had to show a valid passport just to exchange money at the bank and I had no problems with that. This is not a situation where the police can just detain someone for no probable cause. If they do that in Arizona, then that is a different issue entirely that needs to be dealt with within their law enforcement community.

I have absolutely no problems with the bill that they signed into law. It just gives the police authority to enforce the laws of the country. The last time I checked it was illegal to be here without proper identification and paperwork either in the form of a visa or a green card.

As for the Austin city council’s vote to boycott Arizona, I disagree with it entirely. The message that is saying to me is that the Austin city council does not support the enforcement of federal laws. For that reason, I will not vote for anyone in the city council that supports this boycott. I also give full support to the people of Arizona to have the guts to tackle an issue that the federal government has ignored for many years that costs the states billions of dollars annually.

For the record, I am not in any way shape or form against immigration. I believe that it is a great diversifier in America. Both sides of my family came through Ellis Island in the 1800’s and early 1900’s from Poland and England. They did it properly to find more opportunity and in my mother’s side to escape the war torn Poland on World War 1.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
It is time for a law suit against the city of Austin for not enforcing our laws.
The Sanctuary City policies, have ruined this city and all construction related work, especially quality and pride in craftsmanship.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,719 times
Well homeinatx, 70% of this country disagrees with you. Texas is on the same path to pass the same law so get ready for it. Many other states will follow suit. If the government can't get immigration reform done then the states have every right to do so. The boycotts are doing nothing, challenges to AZ are failing. This is the new normal so get used to it.

I think I'll go to Arizona and drop a bundle. Yeah for state's rights!

Eric Holder hasn't even read the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin