Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Australia but haven't lived there for over 25 years.

I sometimes have the vague idea of moving back and buying a small rural property,most likely in NSW or VIC.

I grew up in QLD however so that isn't out of the question.

Family lives mainly in WA but it is too expensive there for us.

So,what is it like in the more rural parts of NSW and VIC?

How are jobs?

Is it possible to live a 'simpler life' there or is it too difficult to make a go of it?
We like changes in scenery so that rules out the flatter/more arid regions.

Also any suggestions on areas.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Rural SW WA is also expensive?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Jobs in rural areas are often an issue, as they'd be quite limited, depending on your field. Perhaps find a job in some rural area first, versus moving there only to realise you can't find work and the whole thing turns into a stressful, expensive experience. Maybe try it out, by renting some rural place first just to see if you'd like living here again?

Have you considered living the simple life in some rural area of the US?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Jobs in rural areas are often an issue, as they'd be quite limited, depending on your field. Perhaps find a job in some rural area first, versus moving there only to realise you can't find work and the whole thing turns into a stressful, expensive experience. Maybe try it out, by renting some rural place first just to see if you'd like living here again?

Have you considered living the simple life in some rural area of the US?

Well actually that is the plan...we have the land and our home is in the process of being put together...I just sometimes think it would be nice to be over there.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well actually that is the plan...we have the land and our home is in the process of being put together...I just sometimes think it would be nice to be over there.
Sorry, not quite clear ... the land and soon-to-be home is in the US?

25 years is a long time but I know what you mean about wondering if it'd be nice to "come home". I always had that feeling when I lived in Canada, for pretty much as long as you. Always wanted to "come home". It's been great but I realised that in those years away I lost (or maybe never had) that attachment to this place as I thought I would have. I find some of the culture alien and annoying, like I'm just not a good fit. Most of all, I find it just too far away from everywhere that's meaningful for and interesting to me, especially from the place where a large part of my heart will always be: North America.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Yes here in the USA,western North Carolina to be precise.

Quote:
25 years is a long time but I know what you mean about wondering if it'd be nice to "come home". I always had that feeling when I lived in Canada, for pretty much as long as you. Always wanted to "come home". It's been great but I realised that in those years away I lost (or maybe never had) that attachment to this place as I thought I would have. I find some of the culture alien and annoying, like I'm just not a good fit. Most of all, I find it just too far away from everywhere that's meaningful for and interesting to me, especially from the place where a large part of my heart will always be: North America.
Hmmm,well it might be the same with me...I very much enjoyed visiting for a month to Perth earlier this year.

But Perth was SO expensive for property.

Of course,the other thing against this dream is the US dollar tanking...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Sounds nice, and a good plan. Can't remember much about NC, I only ever have driven through it on 95 but I imagine it's very pretty as much of the eastern part of the US is very scenic and pretty to me.

Quote:
Hmmm,well it might be the same with me...I very much enjoyed visiting for a month to Perth earlier this year.
Who knows, it may be different for you? You might find you prefer it here, or fit in better ... everybody's different. But 25 years is a long time and you change and you get real used to some things. There are a lot of things similar or the same about Oz and the US but a lot of differences - culturally especially. Little things, which to some would be no big deal, but you just can't get used to, or like. And add up all the little things and it's just too much

Quote:
Quite the shocker, eh? You'd think it being so far away from everything, location should count against the price but nope! And it's not just property - most consumer items are expensive too. And going up all the time.

An article in the paper today was talking about coffee prices in Perth - a trivial thing but a valid indicator of general COL here - and how they're more than Melbourne as barristas here get $10 more per hour! I just don't think it's worth that much more for someone to make you a coffee - and not a very good one at that. $4 minimum for a flat white, but $4.50 is the norm. I very rarely buy coffee here. We buy good beans by the kilo and make a good strong filtered coffee at home and have one before we get going for the day. Can't bring ourselves to pay almost $10 for mostly milk! Rip-off City!

Rents are very high here, as well as wages, so it all gets passed on to the customer.

Quote:
I know what you mean! The currency volatility is so scary if you're thinking of making such a move. For us, it's the same. The AUD has a bigger chance of tanking as it's been a yo-yo for the past few years. Just hope it doesn't decide to dive when we're ready to leave!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:

A good friend of mine was about 30 years old in 1975, married an American woman and left Australia. He returned only once in 1985. Finally getting older, he decided to make the big move home and he lasted less than 2 months.

I also know an australian american gal who grew up in Australia in her bi national household, moved to the USA for about 10 years and then decided to move back to Australia. She lived over there for a year and came back as her whole life was mostly here.

This is their opinion, not mine, but both of them said they found Australia a step down, a bit boring and not at all enlightening nor interesting after having spent so much time in the USA.

Home to me is kind of a vague concept, ill defined at best. I think it is where you find yourself most comfortable.

I find a lot of rural NSW and Victoria quite nice. I like the New England tablelands, I like it around Canberra and I like various mountainous parts of rural Victoria. For jobs I think it all depends what you do for a living.

For the OP, especially if you have US citizenship or a green card and can make a no hassle return to the USA, I don't see why it would hurt to give it a go for a year or two for the adventure. Maybe just rent for a year and see how it goes before making final commitments.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:

Country Victoria and NSW ain't that much cheaper unless you go real rural with acreage and out of town. The towns that are cheap have real standard of living issues. One thing about Australia is that its not cheaper than the US but can be more relaxed. If you're not looking for that then it will be a bit of shock. Its much more laid back than the West Coast so you can just imagine the difference to the East Coast.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 AM

As long as it has a store within 30 minutes we would be fine...it is about that far to town at our land in NC.

It is a pipe dream I imagine,with the collapse of the economy here we simply wouldn't be able to sell our place for enough to buy outright anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand