Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Broad spectrum is a blanket statement.
Yes, it means they have UVA blockers/filters,
but the SPF rating system itself is only rated for UVB blocking ability.
Well yes, but I don't see how that changes the fact that sunscreens can block out UVA which is what you said. That the UVA effectiveness can't be measured using SPF is a limitation of the SPF methodology (ie it's visually based on observing the skin) not that the cream won't provide sun protection.

Quote:
If you mean a painful sting, then you are right.

But UVA affects tissue deeper down, which is why it won't hurt to the touch.
Sunburn is the painful sting, not deeper tissue damage.

Quote:
I think I've had bad burns from it over 10 hrs sun exposure, UV 9 wearing an SPF30, thinking I'm immune.
The next morning my hands feel like a dentist injected Novacane into them, as they were mostly numb and had a reddish undertone.
In Australia, I'd say staying in the Sun for 10 hours is nuts. Honestly, I'd be careful about doing that too often.

Quote:
The "sunburn while driving" is likely a UVA burn, if you had your windows up.
UVA burns show up faster after exposure, within 4-6 hrs and the redness seldom lasts more than 2 days.
UVA doesn't cause sunburn.

Quote:
In the past, UVA was considered less harmful, but today it is known it can contribute to skin cancer via indirect DNA damage (free radicals and reactive oxygen species). It penetrates deeply, but it does not cause sunburn.
Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
These days with the internet a lot of it is unnecessary. Many towns for instance in the USA are not tourist oriented towns or areas and have no need for such things anyways. Towns of tourist interest usually have a well marked office if need be.
Yeah I often have a look at the tourist websites for a place, but often I just go to a place not knowing much about it or what is good to see and do, so rely alot on the visitor's centres. We're pretty spoilt with our network of great visitor's centres I've become used to just pulling into the info centre as my first stop, often just to find accommodation in town.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
lol @ the people complaining about bare feet. I once went to a supermarket in bare feet and it felt very awkward. However, almost every time I go to the shops, I go in thongs (not the rubber ones with that bit that goes between your two toes but the sandal-like ones). In fact, if I could, I would go into the lab with them!

I do haaaaaaaaaaaaate all the broken beer bottles at beaches, parks, footpaths etc. What is so F'en difficult about picking up your bottles and taking them with you to an F'en bin?!?!@#!#!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I often have a look at the tourist websites for a place, but often I just go to a place not knowing much about it or what is good to see and do, so rely alot on the visitor's centres. We're pretty spoilt with our network of great visitor's centres I've become used to just pulling into the info centre as my first stop, often just to find accommodation in town.
My town has a visitor center right at one of the main intersections in town and the previous town I lived in, which was all about tourism, there was tons of info about with several info centers.

There are just a lot of places in the USA where other pursuits are more important and there just wouldn't be demand for such a thing because there is no real tourism going on.

Depends on the states, but rest stops along interstates, especially "welcome centers" on entry into the state, will frequently have info available. And most chain hotels and many local restaurants will often have local brochures of things of interest.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
My town has a visitor center right at one of the main intersections in town and the previous town I lived in, which was all about tourism, there was tons of info about with several info centers.

There are just a lot of places in the USA where other pursuits are more important and there just wouldn't be demand for such a thing because there is no real tourism going on.

Depends on the states, but rest stops along interstates, especially "welcome centers" on entry into the state, will frequently have info available. And most chain hotels and many local restaurants will often have local brochures of things of interest.
Of course, information centres are located in places that would be visited by tourists for one reason or another. In the case of Australia, most every city with over 25,000 will have an info centre. The US has many more cities so obviously not every one would have it's own visitor's information centre. In major centres like LA, though, I can't recall even seeing a single one anywhere.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Sunburn is the painful sting, not deeper tissue damage.
Okay... But I'd still like to avoid deeper tissue damage, caused by something that *isn't* a burn.

It is either strongly believed, if not proven,
that melanoma is from UVA, not UVB.
That may be classed as "deeper tissue damage" too.
Other less serious skin cancers are caused by UVB like basal cell and squamous cell.

If UVA is not harmful,
then there should be no health risks in visiting certain solariums
and use beds that are designed to put out 99.75% UVA and 0.25% UVB,
instead of the ones that try to closely mimic natural sunlight at 95% UVA, 5% UVB

Quote:
In Australia, I'd say staying in the Sun for 10 hours is nuts. Honestly, I'd be careful about doing that too often.
This was not in Australia. It was in northern Ohio, USA and several summers ago.

Btw, I dislike a full day exposure even with my base tan.
I'll wear a strong sunscreen if I expect to be out that long uncovered, say for watersports?

Quote:
UVA doesn't cause sunburn.

Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You want to use Wikipedia to show me?

I took this from your link:

Quote:
...This rating, however, offers no data about protection against UVA, exposure to which does not lead to sunburn but is still harmful...
^^ My mistake.
So they don't technically consider it a burn, but it's still harmfull.
I believe I can feel UVA, especially if I've already been overexposed.
Say 1/2hr after sunrise or 1/2hr before sunset, there's basically zero UVB even in Darwin
so if the sun still stings your overexposed skin at that time of day,
there has to be a good reason for that I reckon.

Here's something else from Wikipedia you might like:

Potential health risks of sunscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-15-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I do haaaaaaaaaaaaate all the broken beer bottles at beaches, parks, footpaths etc.
What is so F'en difficult about picking up your bottles and taking them with you to an F'en bin?!?!@#!#!!!
F'en Oath!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:

Here's something else from Wikipedia you might like:

Potential health risks of sunscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll put that in the "everything causes cancer" category!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I do haaaaaaaaaaaaate all the broken beer bottles at beaches, parks, footpaths etc. What is so F'en difficult about picking up your bottles and taking them with you to an F'en bin?!?!@#!#!!!
Some are just bone lazy, can't be stuffed. Some, the ones who deliberately toss it out their windows to smash on the footpath (I've seen this a few times), are just arseholes. But I think it would really help to put a price on the empties. At the rate some of them drink, they'd get enough for a bottle of beer in no time.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Some are just bone lazy, can't be stuffed. Some, the ones who deliberately toss it out their windows to smash on the footpath (I've seen this a few times), are just arseholes. But I think it would really help to put a price on the empties. At the rate some of them drink, they'd get enough for a bottle of beer in no time.
Yeah why is it only in SA where you get 5 cents for every empty bottle? I hate it when I'm driving somewhere and I see the driver in front of me toss rubbish out of the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand