Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:25 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albivx View Post
Let's see if this thread is even remotely still active....

How does the education system in Tasmania compare to other parts of Australia?
They apparently have the problem that the rate of students not completing high school is higher than most of the rest of the country. Partly resulting from kids in small towns needing to change schools to complete the final couple of years if high school. It is also a cultural problem that apparently some parents fear that if their kids get too much education that they are more likely to lose them to the mainland.

In Australia the majority of students attend university in their own states and often live at home with their parents. I am not sure if the Uni of Tasmania has the full range of courses and I think many successful young people end up in Melbourne or other places at least in the short term. Some parents fear this happening.

The state government is taking steps to address the issues but I expect change will be gradual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I met an ex-Tasmanian in Melbourne a number of years ago and he warned me off Tasmania as full of sheep and boring. But i ended up going there last year, and I was delighted and surprised. Had a great time in Hobart and saw Port Arthur and the Tasmanian sea cliffs and loved it all. Hobart did look stuck in a time warp though, someplace closer to the 1970s rather than now.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 5,073 times
Tasmania is fantastic! Beautiful weather, great cider, nice people, but! I felt the prices (food, clothes, activities) were higher compared to Qld (just my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand