Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

I have been exploring Tasmania via the net over the past few days. That place is gorgeous!!! Why don't you guy visit it or desire to live there? At lot of it resembles Northern CA where I live but with a more tropical look to it.

Now I am very fascinated with Tasmania.

I had a neighbor from there and he did not want to go back once his luck ran out in Texas. Now that I have been exploring Tasmania I can't understand why he would not want to go back there. I think I know why...he hated cold weather. He NEVER turned on his AC and during the hottest part of the Texas summer he was having the time of his life without AC. He loved the hot weather of Texas.

The weather looks similar to the coastal regions of Northern CA. I am cold here most of the time as well.

Do any of you desire to live there?

What is the story on Tasmania?

Last edited by TVC15; 12-02-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Cold, no jobs and no big city. Wooden houses are cute, though.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Pretty much what WCG said. It's the poorest state in Australia (although poor by Australian standards isn't the same as poor in the US) and it has very little industry outside of forestry and tourism. It's a beautiful part of the world though and very different to the rest of Australia. The West Coast of Tasmania can feel like you are the only person left on Earth. It's completely untouched and there are few roads, if you like hiking it's your dream spot. Freycinet, Wine Glass Bay, Federation Peak, Cradle Mountain. There's so many amazing places in Tassie. It actually is drawing more and more international visitors these days, but the state has a lot of conservationist minded folks who are unlikely to allow runaway development to take root.

Not sure about the tropical bit, it's at the same lattitude as Nova Scotia.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Pretty much what WCG said. It's the poorest state in Australia (although poor by Australian standards isn't the same as poor in the US) and it has very little industry outside of forestry and tourism. It's a beautiful part of the world though and very different to the rest of Australia. The West Coast of Tasmania can feel like you are the only person left on Earth. It's completely untouched and there are few roads, if you like hiking it's your dream spot.

Not sure about the tropical bit, it's at the same lattitude as Nova Scotia.
Wow that sounds like a very cool place to explore! I love hiking!

I wonder what it will be like in 15-20 years?

Tasmania Latitude and Tropical do not equate

Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Wow that sounds like a very cool place to explore! I love hiking!

I wonder what it will be like in 15-20 years?

Tasmania Latitude and Tropical do not equate
Probably fairly similar to how it is now. The Greens (political party) have their roots (pardon the pun) in Tasmania and still are strongest there. Hopefully, the tourism industry can scale up there without affecting the environment, in a similar way that NZ has managed to.

Tasmania is actually one of the oldest settled places in Australia, much older than Melbourne, for example. It was originally used as a penal colony for the worst of the worst offenders who were sent to NSW and then if they misbehaved were sent to Port Arthur. Unfortunately, Port Arthur has become somewhat infamous for the events that occurred there in 1996.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Actually, Lonely Planet reckon Hobart just got cool

Hobart, Tasmania | MONA | Lonely Planet top 10 cities | Hip and happening

Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Probably fairly similar to how it is now. The Greens (political party) have their roots (pardon the pun) in Tasmania and still are strongest there. Hopefully, the tourism industry can scale up there without affecting the environment, in a similar way that NZ has managed to.

Tasmania is actually one of the oldest settled places in Australia, much older than Melbourne, for example. It was originally used as a penal colony for the worst of the worst offenders who were sent to NSW and then if they misbehaved were sent to Port Arthur. Unfortunately, Port Arthur has become somewhat infamous for the events that occurred there in 1996.
Very cool info thanks

So are most of the folks over there considered roughnecks so to speak?

Have you ever visited Tasmania?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Very cool info thanks

So are most of the folks over there considered roughnecks so to speak?

Have you ever visited Tasmania?
They're considered a little backward. But they're not what you'd call "rednecks". Most of them just want the quiet country life.

Yep, I've been down there twice. Well worth it if you get a chance. Tasmanian scallop pie is probably the best "meat" pie you can get.

I order them every now and then from these guys: http://tasmanianscalloppiecompany.com.au/

Don't know if they ship to the US.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
They're considered a little backward. But they're not what you'd call "rednecks". Most of them just want the quiet country life.

Yep, I've been down there twice. Well worth it if you get a chance. Tasmanian scallop pie is probably the best "meat" pie you can get.

I order them every now and then from these guys: Tasmanian Scallop Pie Company

Don't know if they ship to the US.
Well now I have to visit! I love quite country places to escape to

Those pies look so delicious! Yummy!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Well now I have to visit! I love quite country places to escape to

Those pies look so delicious! Yummy!
Come on down! i live in Tasmania people always complain about the cold ,yes it is cold in winter but we do have summer in fact it was very warm last week with temps. reaching over 30c and actually unlike some parts of Australia we have the four seasons, Autumn is beautiful. The economy is not great down here but don't be fooled there is a lot of money in Tasmania and we do rely on tourism, there are some fabulous restaurants in and around Hobart and if you are in to outdoor pursuits, this is the place for you, there are beautiful beaches but the water is a little cold but i'm an old bird and if i can handle it i'm sure anyone can. Hope you do get to visit as i'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand