Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times

Advertisements

American here. Do you Aussies still call people “bloody poms?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
American here. Do you Aussies still call people “bloody poms?”
I suppose some do, though i can't recall hearing it in a long time.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I suppose some do, though i can't recall hearing it in a long time.
I’ve always wondered what it was all about. I last visited Australia many years ago (would you believe fifty?), but I remember that.

I also remember the female lifeguards at Bondi Beach.

Oh, and how funny my accent sounded to everyone. I drank a LOT of free beer.

I sure met a lot of nice people in Sydney. It reminded me of a sunny Vancouver.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-19-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
As for the accent, I like it so much I have my Siri and truck navigation set to a female with Australian accent.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM

13 posts, read 8,173 times
It's mostly the vowels in the Aussie accent that sound odd to a Western-Hemisphere ear. I remember hearing Hugh Jackman announce that he was going to host the "Tinies." Non-rhotic accents sound needlessly peculiar to us; run it through the nose and you've got the ghastly Alicia Malone.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I’ve always wondered what it was all about. I last visited Australia many years ago (would you believe fifty?), but I remember that.

I also remember the female lifeguards at Bondi Beach.

Oh, and how funny my accent sounded to everyone. I drank a LOT of free beer.

I sure met a lot of nice people in Sydney. It reminded me of a sunny Vancouver.
No free beer these days. More likely among the most expense on earth, but no matter female lifesavers still strut their stuff down the beach, the sun still shines between rain shows in Sydney (more rain than London, of course)

Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
It's mostly the vowels in the Aussie accent that sound odd to a Western-Hemisphere ear. I remember hearing Hugh Jackman announce that he was going to host the "Tinies." Non-rhotic accents sound needlessly peculiar to us; run it through the nose and you've got the ghastly Alicia Malone.
I guess you mean like something metallic being scratched over a rough surface? GBH on the ears, I've heard it being called. There are reasons for keeping mouth firmly shut, of course, while the nasal sound you speak off is exhaled through the nose cavity.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
No free beer these days. More likely among the most expense on earth, but no matter female lifesavers still strut their stuff down the beach, the sun still shines between rain shows in Sydney (more rain than London, of course)
Still plenty of free beers available to visitors if they are a decent bloke.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 PM

388 posts, read 200,660 times
theres definitely more than one aussie accent, i used to know some western australians who didnt like the sound of sydneysiders. (no horse in that race personally. im a chris lilley fan.)

aussie humour has layers and if you take it too literally, or not literally enough, or ignore the nuances then youre screwed.

though maybe talking to many people from northern ireland is the reason i dont hear "anger" in aussie voices. mostly i hear laughter.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 PM

More than one Aussie accent, but hardly location based. AS for humour, not subtle. Either appeals or appals. Not a lot in between. Not sure about the anger bit. Can sound coming straight from the diaphragm, somewhat no nonsense, blxxdy shovel, don't call it a spade sort of thing. Again some find tedious others may find sort of refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand