Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I would say the USA is a lot more varied in geography than Australia,however it is also home to 300 million people.

Australia has a population of around 20 million and an area almost the same size as the continental US....

Australia would be a great place to lose yourself if you wanted to.
Hmm. I don't know Oz....I've been all over both countries pretty equally, and so far I haven't found any place in Australia that I couldn't fairly compare with the US--in regard to geography/geology and what not.

I agree with you though on the losing yourself part--if you mean it in a literal fashion. Trying to lose yourself within the community would be harder, as ID is such an issue for everything from prescriptions to getting a bloody library card. Our local small town library asks for the 100 Points of ID--same as a bank when you apply for a credit card!

I would say that both countries are equally fascinating!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
As an American who lived in USA for 30 years, and now having lived in a few spots in Oz, I don't think I could possibly decide without weighing up the pro's and con's first (all in good humour, of course!) ....

[snip for brevity]

.... So there you have it--I have weighed it up quickly and it's 50/50 either way! I supposed I will have to spend 1/2 the year in USA and the other 1/2 in Oz. Only problem is, which half where? Better weigh it up.....
That was great, tigerlillydownunder. Loved your pro's and con's. I pretty much agree with everything you said. It was great that you took the time to put together such a synopsis. It should give people a pretty good idea of what to expect downunda.

The clothes issue - I'm not a full-sized lady but I'm not 18 years old either, and that's the gripe I have about clothes here. There's either cute young stuff, or matronly. Unless you want to pay big money. Every time I go back to Canada or to the US, I have a great time shopping for clothes, because of the selection. Their buyers seem to understand all age groups on a budget. Of course, the huge market over there does help and we really can't expect the same here. But it's annoying nevertheless. I suppose it's worse when you know what's available elsewhere, and for what price.

I've never lived in the US (only Canada) but have been to the US so many times, on business and for pleasure, that I have a pretty good idea of what's there. I wouldn't mind trying to live in the US for at least a few years, to give it a go.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That was great, tigerlillydownunder. Loved your pro's and con's. I pretty much agree with everything you said. It was great that you took the time to put together such a synopsis. It should give people a pretty good idea of what to expect downunda.

The clothes issue - I'm not a full-sized lady but I'm not 18 years old either, and that's the gripe I have about clothes here. There's either cute young stuff, or matronly. Unless you want to pay big money. Every time I go back to Canada or to the US, I have a great time shopping for clothes, because of the selection. Their buyers seem to understand all age groups on a budget. Of course, the huge market over there does help and we really can't expect the same here. But it's annoying nevertheless. I suppose it's worse when you know what's available elsewhere, and for what price.

I've never lived in the US (only Canada) but have been to the US so many times, on business and for pleasure, that I have a pretty good idea of what's there. I wouldn't mind trying to live in the US for at least a few years, to give it a go.

Thanks Vichel! Look, I have to be fair about it; USA/KY isn't perfect by any means, and neither is Oz. I personally think there is a lot more similarity than differences, but the differences that are there can be rather pronounced. And that is the beauty of a different country and culture.

I love the USA; I didn't move to Australia because I was unhappy or politically/religiously oppressed or persecuted. I moved here because my husband is Australian; I love him and my place is with him whether it's Australia, USA.....Aghanistan even!--it wouldn't matter. Home is where ever he is, and he happens to live in his home country. That's love, not preference!

When I first moved here though, man oh man, did I have a hard time adjusting to some things, and the reason for that was because rather than being open minded and interested in how things are here, I was too busy comparing it to the USA and what I knew. Gripe gripe gripe, all the live long day. I can't remember when exactly it happened, but I soon realised that there were actually things here that were waaaay better than what they were in the USA!

Now I feel I have come full circle. I still love the USA and always will; you can take the girl out of KY but you can't take the KY out of the girl! But I love Australia too, and this is my home now. I'm in the process of obtaining my dual citizenship, and our kids (when they come along) will be raised as Aussies with a heavy US influence; they will spend some time in the US every year, because I think it's important they know my family and culture too.

As far as the clothing for chics like me--I'm tall, solid, with boobs and a bum, but I wouldn't really refer to myself as fat. But it seems that you are right: the clothing is geared for 18 yo petit waifs, or these horrid creations that Nanna wouldn't touch with a barge pole! Seriously--what is with all the flowers, appliqués, rhinestones/huge fake jewels, glitter, tye-dye, horizontal stripes, gathered raffia-like fabrics that bigger girls have to choose from? And don't get me started on the colour choices of the acceptable items: denim blue, dark blue, navy blue, black, dark grey, medium grey, light grey, various shades of tan/beige, and the ever present mission brown. Occassionally they throw in dark olive, and perhaps that burnt orange that looks so good on hardly anyone.

I shop when I go home for holidays and just get the basics and jazz it up with seasonal accessories. Until I can get a whole body overhaul, it's the only way! lol

Cheers!

Last edited by tigerlillydownunder; 12-27-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM

266 posts, read 547,925 times
I've just decided ... when I win my millions I am buying a place in Sydney on the water ... just so I can watch their fabulous New Years fireworks! Okay, okay, I'm dreaming ... but might as well dream big!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
I've just decided ... when I win my millions I am buying a place in Sydney on the water ... just so I can watch their fabulous New Years fireworks! Okay, okay, I'm dreaming ... but might as well dream big!
I've thought about that too! My husband is working in NZ and they all wanted to fly over just for the fireworks! It was like $1000 NZ just for a quick flight! Those fireworks off the Harbour Bridge are always fabulous!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:19 PM

40 posts, read 152,426 times
I live in US, but would love to visit Australia! Never been there, so i do not know the differences first hand. However, I have friend that went to Perth, Australia (for a boy) and she fell in love with Australia, stayed there, married the boy, and is NOT ever coming back to the US. She says that they could NOT have the same lifestyle that they enjoy back in the US. She also says that they work less, have longer vacations, and make more money than she ever would here! Sounds good to me!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
There are over 80 Brits a day that move to Australia so it must be good? Doesn't Australia offer a better quality of life than the US and is cheaper to live?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:50 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
It depends on where you live in either country.. if someone said the UK was expensive.. you would answer "it depends".. London would be expensive, Bury St. Edmund's would not be as expensive.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 AM

8 posts, read 13,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
If you want to live in even a small place in Sydney, you'll need millions. Property prices -- as well as the overall cost of living -- are very high.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide just seem like awesome cities to start a new life i dont know many cities in the southern US that can beat them?

Is it true you work less hours in Australia and get more vacation time than the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand