Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Never been to North America, but I would put it somewhere between those two countries, in some ways worse and better in others.

Being a non white Anglo myself I can speak from experience. I was called names, teased when I was a kid (I was born in 1986 and grew up in metro Perth) but was rarely fully discriminated against because of that. That kind of stuff is less common now than the early 90s, and is mostly confined to drunken insults, or private conversation. Australia is comparatively tolerant and equal. There is the subtle kind though.

However, racism towards aborigines and Middle Easterners in particular seems as bad as ever. I've heard some pretty racist comments - both open and behind the back, against both of these groups. Indeed, I've seen downright hostility in some cases. The aborigines too have been the instigators, so there is also racism against whites. It's something not a lot of tourists can appreciate.

Just wondering what those who have had experience in 2 or 3 or these countries have to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Never been to North America, but I would put it somewhere between those two countries, in some ways worse and better in others.

Being a non white Anglo myself I can speak from experience. I was called names, teased when I was a kid (I was born in 1986 and grew up in metro Perth) but was rarely fully discriminated against because of that. That kind of stuff is less common now than the early 90s, and is mostly confined to drunken insults, or private conversation. Australia is comparatively tolerant and equal. There is the subtle kind though.

However, racism towards aborigines and Middle Easterners in particular seems as bad as ever. I've heard some pretty racist comments - both open and behind the back, against both of these groups. Indeed, I've seen downright hostility in some cases. The aborigines too have been the instigators, so there is also racism against whites. It's something not a lot of tourists can appreciate.

Just wondering what those who have had experience in 2 or 3 or these countries have to say about it.
Isn't that an oxymoron? Honestly?

As far as racism, I love your country sooo much, but the fact that you had an official "Whites only" immigration policy as recently as 1972 and reading the aborigine threads here, y'all got a loooong way until you get to where USA and Canada are. Just sayin'.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron? Honestly?

As far as racism, I love your country sooo much, but the fact that you had an official "Whites only" immigration policy as recently as 1972 and reading the aborigine threads here, y'all got a loooong way until you get to where USA and Canada are. Just sayin'.
I meant non-white, non-anglo, lol...

But yes...the US did have a whites only policy too, don't forget, and most of Canada's many immigrants have been recent, just like ours.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Growing up, I got a lot of "bl**dy wog!, why don't you go back to where you come from?" From the ... dare I say it? ... Skips.

Problem was, I was born here. King Eddie baby. All us olive-skinned types, with the unpronounceable names and smelly mortadella or fried eggplant sandwiches, copped it often.

But that was just the way it was then. No Human Rights Tribunal to run to, or anyone to fight your battles for you. You just took it, and gave it back as good as you got. And we just all got along eventually. The Skips realised we were a good sort afterall, with much better cuisine, and it was alright in the end.

These days I think there's far too much sensitivity - over-sensitivity - if that's a word. Which creates resentment. And ... racism.

Canada, I found, was very PC. Over the top. We're going the same way. Just delayed. Not talking about it, doesn't mean there are no problems. You're just putting a lid on issues which need to be discussed.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Growing up, I got a lot of "bl**dy wog!, why don't you go back to where you come from?" From the ... dare I say it? ... Skips.

Problem was, I was born here. King Eddie baby. All us olive-skinned types, with the unpronounceable names and smelly mortadella or fried eggplant sandwiches, copped it often.

But that was just the way it was then. No Human Rights Tribunal to run to, or anyone to fight your battles for you. You just took it, and gave it back as good as you got. And we just all got along eventually. The Skips realised we were a good sort afterall, with much better cuisine, and it was alright in the end.

These days I think there's far too much sensitivity - over-sensitivity - if that's a word. Which creates resentment. And ... racism.

Canada, I found, was very PC. Over the top. We're going the same way. Just delayed. Not talking about it, doesn't mean there are no problems. You're just putting a lid on issues which need to be discussed.
Dude, I have no idea what you just wrote. Honestly.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah I didn't hear 'wog' much when I was growing up, even though I had a couple of 'wog' friends. Mind you I didn't get called names that often; now and then, but enough to get an impression.

The name calling kind of racism was a lot worse prior to the late 80s, but I don't know if the deep seated kind is really much less bad.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I meant non-white, non-anglo, lol...

But yes...the US did have a whites only policy too, don't forget, and most of Canada's many immigrants have been recent, just like ours.
No we didn't, not in regards to immigration, and not as recent as 36 years ago. Answer me this as honestly as possible: can you ever imagine an aborigine Prime Minister? Honestly?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
No we didn't, not in regards to immigration, and not as recent as 36 years ago. Answer me this as honestly as possible: can you ever imagine an aborigine Prime Minister? Honestly?
I often say there'll be a woman in the White House before a female Australia PM. We have a blokey, patriachal society the US does not. Not all the Alvin Purple, Sir Les Patterson stereotypes are untrue, indeed they are often are true.

And yes, an aboriginal prime minister is a very long way off.

Policy or not, the US was one of the most racist nations in the developed world in the 20th century. If not explicitly, they did have policies to restrict immigrant of undesirables.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Canada has some weird laws that fine people for expressing certain opinions. I worry what is going on up there.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Dude, I have no idea what you just wrote. Honestly.
Wogs = olive-skinned Mediterranean types - Italians, Greeks, Slavs, Maltese, Lebanese, etc.

Skips (as in Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo (TV programme about a roo) = Aussies of Anglo/Irish origin.

King Eddie = name of hospital here in Perth where most kids are born or King Edward Memorial Hospital (too many words).

I don't have to explain mortadella, do I? Go to an Italian deli and ask for some - sliced thinly, very thinly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand