Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Wogs = olive-skinned Mediterranean types - Italians, Greeks, Slavs, Maltese, Lebanese, etc.

Skips (as in Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo (TV programme about a roo) = Aussies of Anglo/Irish origin.

King Eddie = name of hospital here in Perth where most kids are born or King Edward Memorial Hospital (too many words).

I don't have to explain mortadella, do I? Go to an Italian deli and ask for some - sliced thinly, very thinly.
My sister was born in the King Eddie, lol, but I didn't even know of it's nickname. Then again, I'm a Southie and I disdain Subiaco!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,188 times
Quote:
Wogs = olive-skinned Mediterranean types - Italians, Greeks, Slavs, Maltese, Lebanese, etc.

Skips (as in Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo (TV programme about a roo) = Aussies of Anglo/Irish origin.

King Eddie = name of hospital here in Perth where most kids are born or King Edward Memorial Hospital (too many words).

I don't have to explain mortadella, do I? Go to an Italian deli and ask for some - sliced thinly, very thinly.
Thanks. I love mortadella and capicolla, that's half of an italian sub right there. Add some salami and provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion and hot peppers with some oil and vinegar....oh my gosh, I'm actually drooling right now. lol

Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 PM

177 posts, read 425,246 times
Like it or not, we, no matter what race or nationality, will always have that streak of racism, not to mention stereotyping particular cultures just because of the actions of a few or how they look.

We here in Australia have a long way to go where Aboriginals are concerned but the USA has the same problem with American Indians so it works both ways.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Canada has some weird laws that fine people for expressing certain opinions. I worry what is going on up there.
Yes they do. They really don't have free speech. A pastor from Alberta preached that homosexuality was a sin and he was arrested. That's really scary to me. You can agree or disagree with him, it doesn't matter, but when they government tells you how to think and what to say....well, Big Brother is watching. Plus they have a really racist term for non whites; they call them "Visible minorities". Honestly. lol Can't really have a colorblind society with that goofy term, huh?

Bottom line: no country is perfect and we all have our faults. We're human after all.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Thanks. I love mortadella and capicolla, that's half of an italian sub right there. Add some salami and provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion and hot peppers with some oil and vinegar....oh my gosh, I'm actually drooling right now. lol
I knight thee, Sir Sonrise, an honourary Wog.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Those wogs did improve the food here, that's for sure. I for one prefer a good foccacia over a ham and cheese sandwich! lol

Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Plus they have a really racist term for non whites; they call them "Visible minorities". Honestly. lol Can't really have a colorblind society with that goofy term, huh?
"Visible minority" is not racist any more than "gender neutral" is sexist.

We are not aiming for a "colour-blind" society.
We embrace and celebrate others differences.
Colour itself is not a bad thing; hatred toward it is.
In Canada, many kinds of people make up the face of Canada.

In the U.S.A., your society is a "melting-pot."
Basically, society want citizens to be distinguishable as an American,
and we don't have an expectation on what a Canadian should look or act like...
just that we'd expect some command of the English or French language.

*The U.S. in some parts is way more messed up than Canada, like how in Memphis TN public schools, a parent of a black child will not have a parent-teacher meeting with a white teacher and vice versa. In theory, they could, but there have been too many angry parents and confronations because of this that the schoolboard forbids it.

I would not like living in a truely colour-blind society, because I could not say "I like blue eyes" without making people with brown eyes uncomfortable.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Well, my dad's from Greece. Is that woggish?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,360 times
Quote:
Well, my dad's from Greece. Is that woggish?

That's very Wog!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
"Visible minority" is not racist any more than "gender neutral" is sexist.

We are not aiming for a "colour-blind" society.
We embrace and celebrate others differences.
Colour itself is not a bad thing; hatred toward it is.
In Canada, many kinds of people make up the face of Canada.

In the U.S.A., your society is a "melting-pot."
Basically, society want citizens to be distinguishable as an American,
and we don't have an expectation on what a Canadian should look or act like...
just that we'd expect some command of the English or French language.

*The U.S. in some parts is way more messed up than Canada, like how in Memphis TN public schools, a parent of a black child will not have a parent-teacher meeting with a white teacher and vice versa. In theory, they could, but there have been too many angry parents and confronations because of this that the schoolboard forbids it.

I would not like living in a truely colour-blind society, because I could not say "I like blue eyes" without making people with brown eyes uncomfortable.
I guess for us, the whole MLK "I have a dream" speech is the benchmark here. For me, as a Christian, the color of someone's skin is about as relevant as the size of their feet. I do hope that one day we will achieve a color blind society and truly judge a man solely on the content of his character. God willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand