Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Which is why I think that "KFC Cricket Survival" commercial might have outraged many Americans, but went unnoticed by most Australians.
I think another part of it was that most Australians wouldn't be aware of the fried chicken & african person association stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I think another part of it was that most Australians wouldn't be aware of the fried chicken & african person association stereotype.
Nor do I as a Canadian and frequent visitor to the USA, for fried chicken in particular.
However, fried chicken is associated with "soul food"/southern food,
and most African Americans have ancestry in the southern US.

The only thing I saw potentially racist was the white Australian fan feeling frustrated about being outnumbered, and KFC of Australia suggested "he might need to tame a crowd of smiling West Indies fans who were blissfully ignoring him, some playing steel pan drums." ( )

Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Nor do I as a Canadian and frequent visitor to the USA, for fried chicken in particular.
However, fried chicken is associated with "soul food"/southern food,
and most African Americans have ancestry in the southern US.

The only thing I saw potentially racist was the white Australian fan feeling frustrated about being outnumbered, and KFC of Australia suggested "he might need to tame a crowd of smiling West Indies fans who were blissfully ignoring him, some playing steel pan drums." ( )
This was a joke. some stupid z grade reporter in the US saw the ad on the net & decided it was "racist". Give me a break

The ad had nothing to do with US racial sterotypes. Last I looked, West Indies are not part of USA. Therefore, there are no racist undertones of soul/southern food.

I get what you are saying CC, but ... the ad was on for months prior to this hoo-hah and never did one Australian speak out regarding the potential racist undertones (I don't believe there were any).

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
This was a joke. some stupid z grade reporter in the US saw the ad on the net & decided it was "racist". Give me a break

The ad had nothing to do with US racial sterotypes. Last I looked, West Indies are not part of USA. Therefore, there are no racist undertones of soul/southern food.

I get what you are saying CC, but ... the ad was on for months prior to this hoo-hah and never did one Australian speak out regarding the potential racist undertones (I don't believe there were any).
I wasn't even describing what I might find racist, but what "hypersensitive" people might find racist.

Yeah, and in another thread I mentioned it was silly to connect all the African American experiences and culture with West Indian African culture. It actually sounded "very-American" for someone to assume that everyone thinks the way Americans do, and when interpreting international events, assuming American motives were used.

I can't understand why he felt bad being ignored by other fans, but to me at worst, KFC made him look like an idiot, not a racist.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
I wasn't even describing what I might find racist, but what "hypersensitive" people might find racist.
sorry - I meant that I understand that perspective (didn't assume it was your personal view)
Quote:
Yeah, and in another thread I mentioned it was silly to connect all the African American experiences and culture with West Indian African culture. It actually sounded "very-American" for someone to assume that everyone thinks the way Americans do, and when interpreting international events, assuming American motives were used.

I can't understand why he felt bad being ignored by other fans, but to me at worst, KFC made him look like an idiot, not a racist.
hahah very true !

Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
The Australian habit of irreverance & mock abuse - taking the pi** out of each other - can be misunderstood by those not familiar with that cultural trait. Here, it is a sign of acceptance, overseas it doesn't go over too well. We're not PC, we're a bit rough, but I don't think this is racism.

In the case of the KFC ad, it was a cultural misunderstanding - on both sides really. But the minute one side points the racism finger, all communication ends.

Western countries are the most tolerant on the planet yet always get browbeaten for "racism". It's especially galling coming from people from countries that actively practise institutionalised racism and intolerance, sending their own people fleeing from their home countries to .... guess where? .... Western countries which apparently, according to the perpetually aggrieved PC-Gestapo are "racist". Yeah, right.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
The Australian habit of irreverance & mock abuse - taking the pi** out of each other - can be misunderstood by those not familiar with that cultural trait. Here, it is a sign of acceptance, overseas it doesn't go over too well. We're not PC, we're a bit rough, but I don't think this is racism.

In the case of the KFC ad, it was a cultural misunderstanding - on both sides really. But the minute one side points the racism finger, all communication ends.

Western countries are the most tolerant on the planet yet always get browbeaten for "racism". It's especially galling coming from people from countries that actively practise institutionalised racism and intolerance, sending their own people fleeing from their home countries to .... guess where? .... Western countries which apparently, according to the perpetually aggrieved PC-Gestapo are "racist". Yeah, right.
I can second that from the perspective of some of the outwardly racist comments made towards other ethnic groups that recent immigrants in Australia make.

An example - I am photographing a big Lebanese wedding in a few weeks. I went to the Lebanese church last Saturday to scope the venue out. An elderly Lebanese guy who I did not know went into a huge vocal rant as there was supposed to be a christening at that time, but the attendees were 15 minutes late.

He started going on about "f**king wogs....always late. We are on f**king wog time now". And he was vocal about it and not on the quiet to me either.

Furthermore in my day job I work with a lot of Indians and Pakistanis and they seem quite open about slating each other (usually comes down to religious differences). And I am not talking about friendly banter either.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 PM

279 posts, read 673,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
The Australian habit of irreverance & mock abuse - taking the pi** out of each other - can be misunderstood by those not familiar with that cultural trait. Here, it is a sign of acceptance, overseas it doesn't go over too well.
hahaha....sooooo true.........and guess who has been told they are the worst offender......

Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
hahaha....sooooo true.........and guess who has been told they are the worst offender......
Yeah, I suppose you have to be careful sometimes over there.

Can't greet anyone with "Mike, how you goin' ya Seppo Bastard!".

Or if you were to introduce him to someone, it probably wouldn't go over too well if you said "Meet Mike, my Yank mate. He's a top bastard!"

Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedodropkick View Post
Lynching is the USA'S racist horror. So when we compare racism of different countries the lynching of innocent US citizens becasue of their color skin, you have to think! Have other advanced civilised countries use lynching? I can can think of one....they assissinate black leaders and a President called JFK who with his brother Robert supported civil rights(human rights).
And this all happened nearly 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand