Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
Would I be correct in saying that jerry springers guests are rednecks?
Like Trimac says, I'd think (hope!) they were just playing up but if they weren't, I'd say they were more feral than anything.

Most bogans can be a bit rough around the edges but ferals are nasty people.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Well I will be honest during summer when Im outside with no hat no shade my neck gets red so I guess then Im a red neck! (but that is the only time)
Lol, that's one thing that comes to my mind too when I think of redneck.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Don't something like 80% of Australians live in major cities? I haven't been to Australia but I get the feeling that in Australia, like in most of America, people prefer the working class, down home, hardworking image. Wheras in European countries like France, or even some Asian countries these days like China, people want that "sophisticated", urban image and are embarassed by any rural images people have of their countries.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Don't something like 80% of Australians live in major cities? I haven't been to Australia but I get the feeling that in Australia, like in most of America, people prefer the working class, down home, hardworking image. Wheras in European countries like France, or even some Asian countries these days like China, people want that "sophisticated", urban image and are embarassed by any rural images people have of their countries.
Doesn't really apply to most Australians. The ones in the cities - especially Melbourne - aspire to some urbane, sophisticated image. They want to be seen as cultured and cosmopolitan.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 AM

112 posts, read 363,512 times
We do have a class system in Australia (not as bad as in Europe) we have working class (blue collar), middle class (usually white collar) and upper class all with varing degrees. People here can move up and down the ladder. There are those in Australia that like to knock down those who have done well for themselves (known as the tall poppy syndrome) In relation to being called a bogan it doesnt really matter what class you are in. As I mentioned before even your mates can call you a bogan. You can even have "cashed up bogans" here is a you tube clip of a very well known cashed up bogan!!! His name is Sam Newman love him or hate him he is a bogan!!!

YouTube - sam street talk in footscray

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Bogan would be our version of the American redneck, I would think. And bogans can be found all over Australia, not just in a local equivalent of a Deep South.

Definitely a Rev-head type mentality here, amongst a lot of people, not just who you'd label 'rednecks' either. A Ute would be the preferred mode of transport for a bogan, versus a pick-up truck, although a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon is more popular and practical.

Hooning - driving recklessly, too fast, burning rubber, revving the engine - is very popular, in all neighbourhoods. Friday and Saturdays you can hear them for miles. And after a rain - they're out in force, spinning their wheels. That was extremely rare behaviour in Canada, and I never heard or saw that in any American neighbourhoods we stayed in. Here all too common. I often envision myself with a shoulder-launched RPG and taking these idiots out, but luckily for them it's just my overactive imagination.

I suppose we're conservative in some ways, not so in others. More swearing on tv and in real life than what I've seen or heard in the US. More accepted nudity & sex on tv than I saw even in Canada, which is viewed as more liberal. I'd say Canadians are more conservative in their dress sense especially for office-wear, and I'd say Americans would be more conservative that way too. It took a while for me to get over my shock at seeing young women in tight, low-cut tops in the office. You'd be sent home to change in Canada if you wore that. Definite no-no.
That's interesting. I grew up in Michigan right next to Ontario. On one hand, some Canadian TV would have more nudity, but in a controlled way. I remember 'The Naked News' for example. But they quickly ban something like Howard Stern, (an American who seems to have a strong obsession with female strippers, and interviewing them on the show, etc.). But I think one is acceptable in Canada, and the other objectifies, so therefore is not.

I notice the exact same thing in northern much more liberal areas of the US as well - Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc. Women would never want to be perceived as a sex object...so you get the much more conservative choice of clothing.

On the other hand, you go to other areas of the US, like Southern California, Texas, and Florida, etc....pretty much EVERYTHING is out there for the general viewing public all the time

Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
To be completely honest, I have always considered Australia to be the Texas of the Pacific. The cultures are shockingly familiar.
I've always thought of Australia as a bit like California on the coasts...surfing and beaches...and then the Outback and wherever gators are at, I imagine a sort of Texan Ranchers meets Louisana alligator-wrestler...lol

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Would I be correct in saying that jerry springers guests are rednecks?
US Southerners who invented the term "redneck" would likely call Jerry Springer guests "white trash" rather than "redneck."
They make some distinctions down South, however subtle.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieC View Post
G'day ... Is this an Australian/New Zealand Form or an American forum giving their slant on Aussie Rednecks ?

Firstly ... Rednecks is not an Aussie term

Secondly ... Aussies don't deserve that term

Thirdly ... if asked ... Aussie do not care what Americans think

Fouthly ... don't judge us on your own standards ... if you have not visited Aussie, your loss ... if you have ... keep your opinions to yourself ... don't like us, don't come back ... we are alright mate without you

Fifthly ... be nice and an Aussie will welcome you with open arms ... other wise you will never know what we think or are like ... Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
haha, funny enough, this attitude sounds very AMERICAN.

"If you don't like America, then you can GET OUT!"

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Like Trimac says, I'd think (hope!) they were just playing up but if they weren't, I'd say they were more feral than anything.

Most bogans can be a bit rough around the edges but ferals are nasty people.
Good to hear "bogan" doesn't directly imply "feralness"

Reminds me of a show that's a good example of what Americans consider "redneck."
Anyone watch the "King of The Hill" cartoon?
Most of the characters would be considered at least a bit redneck;
especially "Dale Dribble" and "Boomhauer." (neither of whom are "feral" but quirky )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand