Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Where I'm from, speed in itself is not punishable (demerits) before 14 km/h over...
IIRC, Ontari-ari-ari-oh? When we drove from Niagara Falls to Tronna in June we noticed that speed didn't seem to be an issue as most people were driving like they were at the Indy 500. But it was fine. The highway was good and traffic moved well. We rarely drove at the speed limit either, rather keeping up with the traffic which was going at least 20k over.

Quote:
Our residential streets are usually 40 km/h.
Again, I use judgement; when it seems probable that children could be out, I usually drive 25-35 km/h.
That good judgement would get you aggressively tailgated here. Doesn't matter if there's kids, dogs, pedestrians, whatever, most people drive down our road at 60+ bare minimum, even though the limit is 50.

Quote:
Highways are typically 100 km/h posted.
Traffic typically flows at 10-15 km/h over the limit, but faster still isn't unusual.
I've heard from others that most police officers won't bother you unless you're going more than 30 km/h over the highway's limit unless the weather's bad, traffic's heavy or your driving behavior is also dangerous.
(typically outside city limits).
Perth's freeway limit is 100km/h even though it's a good sized freeway and you could easily do 110/120 many times. But strangely enough, most of our country roads, which in many cases aren't much better than paved goat tracks, have speed limits of 110km/h. Narrow, little if any shoulder, and huge trees right next to them, single lane each way with paltry amount of passing lanes ... death traps as more than half our road fatalities are on country roads. Few police officers on any freeway or road here, to catch people doing anything stupid or dangerous. They rather stick speed cameras on them to raise revenue for ads telling us to slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Perth's freeway limit is 100km/h even though it's a good sized freeway and you could easily do 110/120 many times. But strangely enough, most of our country roads, which in many cases aren't much better than paved goat tracks, have speed limits of 110km/h. Narrow, little if any shoulder, and huge trees right next to them, single lane each way with paltry amount of passing lanes ... death traps as more than half our road fatalities are on country roads. Few police officers on any freeway or road here, to catch people doing anything stupid or dangerous. They rather stick speed cameras on them to raise revenue for ads telling us to slow down.
If you are used to the USA with plenty of police coverage it does take getting used to in rural Australia. I know I've driven for days in rural areas and not passed a police car on the road once.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If you are used to the USA with plenty of police coverage it does take getting used to in rural Australia. I know I've driven for days in rural areas and not passed a police car on the road once.
Funnily enough, the only time we encountered cops on a country road in W.A. was when they put up a breathalyser roadblock out in the middle of nowhere. At 10:30 in the morning! God, I just can't imagine what sort of life you live that you're drunk at that time of day. And driving! My husband even asked if they actually expected to catch people with over the limit alcohol in their system that early, and the cop answered yes, of course. OMG!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
IIRC, Ontari-ari-ari-oh? When we drove from Niagara Falls to Tronna in June we noticed that speed didn't seem to be an issue as most people were driving like they were at the Indy 500. But it was fine. The highway was good and traffic moved well. We rarely drove at the speed limit either, rather keeping up with the traffic which was going at least 20k over.

That good judgement would get you aggressively tailgated here. Doesn't matter if there's kids, dogs, pedestrians, whatever, most people drive down our road at 60+ bare minimum, even though the limit is 50.

Same story here. But Victoria has the biggest Speed Nazis on Earth. We have 4 lane freeways with 80kmh limits (which were dropped from 100 with the M1 upgrade) Then we have 1 lane gravel roads with a limit of 100.

Freeways in urban areas should be atleast 110kmh and rural 130.

Ofcourse, the Nazi labor governemnt, starting with that pig Steve Bracks and now that Bogan hornbag John Brumby continue to install revenue cameras behind overhead signs on freeways and overpasses. They just announced 50 new speed cameras in Victoria aswell. Not only that, but speed limits seem to be dropping everywhere, which ofcourse is labor's ingenious solution everytime someone dies on the road

Quote:
Funnily enough, the only time we encountered cops on a country road in W.A. was when they put up a breathalyser roadblock out in the middle of nowhere. At 10:30 in the morning! God, I just can't imagine what sort of life you live that you're drunk at that time of day. And driving! My husband even asked if they actually expected to catch people with over the limit alcohol in their system that early, and the cop answered yes, of course. OMG!
That's our intelligent law enforcement at work.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Same story here. But Victoria has the biggest Speed Nazis on Earth. We have 4 lane freeways with 80kmh limits (which were dropped from 100 with the M1 upgrade) Then we have 1 lane gravel roads with a limit of 100.

Freeways in urban areas should be atleast 110kmh and rural 130.

Ofcourse, the Nazi labor governemnt, starting with that pig Steve Bracks and now that Bogan hornbag John Brumby continue to install revenue cameras behind overhead signs on freeways and overpasses. They just announced 50 new speed cameras in Victoria aswell. Not only that, but speed limits seem to be dropping everywhere, which ofcourse is labor's ingenious solution everytime someone dies on the road

That's our intelligent law enforcement at work.
Wow, sounds like Melbourne might hurt my brain in more ways than one.

At 9 am this morning I discovered how much I dislike a temp of 19 C without any sun-warmth;
exactly Melbourne's annual average high and sky conditions.

I'm also used to travelling between 110-120 km/h on nice open stretches of urban highway.
Driving at 83 km/h on an open stretch of highway might put me to sleep;
that's about the speed I drive on a lot of our cities major roads, with traffic lights.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:

With dry conditions it's only the slow cars that drive at 105 km/h or less; it's very common to see them get passed.
Tronna? That might be close to how we locals pronounce it, except no "a" sound.
For us Toronto's second "t" is a "voiceless consenant" making it sound more like "Toron-no"

I paid attention as I drove through my neighbourhood...
We have a lot of residential sections of road less than 100 metres long,
on those it doesn't "feel right" to pass the speed limit during the day.

I suppose if length of road between stop signs was 150+ metres,
then going 5-10 km/h above the residential limit in they daytime might be common.
*I think where this "feeling" comes from is from observing habits of use, and the uninterrupted sections over 150 metres long tend to be avoided by pedestrians and children at play.

Rural highways are Ontario's most deadly as well;
thanks to "hidden" intersections, abrupt speed limit changes, driveways, wildlife/livestock/pets etc.
Our limits tend to be 80 km/h, though in sections with 0.5 km+ view it's not uncommon to travel 95-105 km/h.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:08 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Whilst Perth is renowned for it's "perfect" summer weather, exciting does not apply to it. I know of several UK migrants who moved to Perth then moved to Sydney after a couple of years because they found it (Perth) too quiet and isolated. Perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand