Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Usually the only time I have beets is when it's in a soup called "borstch." (sp?)
My mother, being from eastern Europe, used to feed us cold beet soup during the summer. Shredded beets, water and we'd spoon in sour cream. Hot beet soup is pretty good as well. I would spoon in mashed potatoe in the latter part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Umm...okay, not sure how you guys came up with that one since there's no "g", "e" or "r" in the word sandwich, but i gave up on trying to understand Australian slang years ago.

So, what's a salad sandwich; just a sandwich filled with veggies; i.e. no meat?
What about the more British sounding: "Sarnie"?

Pretty much. A proper salad sandwich, is just two slices of bread, with no meat and a filling of just Tomato, Lettuce, Carrot, Beetroot..etc.

Though "salad" can sometimes describe part of the filling; ie Ham and Salad, or Chicken and Salad.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Yup only at the good old fish and chip shop, the chicken shop or the milk bar. I think its a Sydney thing that you have everything

The chains go so far as to put beetroot on (the McOz has beetroot but no egg, the Aussie Burger has the egg, bacon and beetroot but no pineapple).
Well I'm in Melbourne and hamburger with the lot is fairly common at the chippies, not that I go to them much anymore.

And I don't think Maccas has the McOz anymore because I tried to get one for MM while he was here and they had no clue what I was talking about. Was the Maccas in Swanston Street just down from Flinder's Street Station. I admit I didn't try anywhere else.

Quote:
What's a salad sanger?

What Roo said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
"sanger" = sandwich.
Thanks roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
My first thought was.. gross, but I remember that once as a kid, mum once put spicy portuguese sardines on pizza and it was delicious! We only had it once but I still remember it. Weird.. as I am not the type to buy tinned fish...
I'll eat canned tuna, canned RED salmon, canned smoked oysters and sardines so I guess that's a fair few of the tinned fish varieties.

It really is yum mini! Least I think so! I can remember when that "paste" used to be the latest thing in canapes too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Ooh a good old salad sandwich - impossible to find in the US too!
Really????? How will I survive?

Quote:
Umm...okay, not sure how you guys came up with that one since there's no "g", "e" or "r" in the word sandwich, but i gave up on trying to understand Australian slang years ago.

So, what's a salad sandwich; just a sandwich filled with veggies; i.e. no meat?
Yeah we shorten everything and then add a, o and in this case ga or ger! I note that Americans say sammich so sanger (or sanga) is the Aussie equivalent of that.

And a salad sanga can have a lot of things in it BUT my favourite would include a little mayo on white bread OR TAYLORS () topped with leg ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce (iceberg), cucumber, grated carrot, boiled egg and beetroot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
My mother, being from eastern Europe, used to feed us cold beet soup during the summer. Shredded beets, water and we'd spoon in sour cream. Hot beet soup is pretty good as well. I would spoon in mashed potatoe in the latter part.

YUM!!! Who's making that when I get there?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
What about the more British sounding: "Sarnie"?

Pretty much. A proper salad sandwich, is just two slices of bread, with no meat and a filling of just Tomato, Lettuce, Carrot, Beetroot..etc.

Though "salad" can sometimes describe part of the filling; ie Ham and Salad, or Chicken and Salad.
Sarnie; seriously? That's even worse. There's no "r", "n", or "e" in the word sandwich. Are there any rules for abbreviations? Why not just call it a "snaffy"? I love a turkey snaffy with provolone, lettuce, tomato, bacon and a dallop of mayo; mmmm...that's one delicious snaffy.

I honestly believe that the overwhelming compulsion to abbreviate everything into words that a toddler might accidentally utter is cultural. I was in Oz for almost a month and couldn't get over how much you guys looove to abbreviate; it's like an unofficial sport; lingustics footy.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well I'm in Melbourne and hamburger with the lot is fairly common at the chippies, not that I go to them much anymore.

And I don't think Maccas has the McOz anymore because I tried to get one for MM while he was here and they had no clue what I was talking about. Was the Maccas in Swanston Street just down from Flinder's Street Station. I admit I didn't try anywhere else.

What Roo said!

Oh, I forgot; the sammich thing really came out of uneducated ignorance; seriously. Some poorer people use to pronounce it sammich instead of sandwich and a very small percentage still call it that. At least is has an "ich" like the actual word though.

Thanks roo!

I'll eat canned tuna, canned RED salmon, canned smoked oysters and sardines so I guess that's a fair few of the tinned fish varieties.

It really is yum mini! Least I think so! I can remember when that "paste" used to be the latest thing in canapes too!

Really????? How will I survive?

Yeah we shorten everything and then add a, o and in this case ga or ger! I note that Americans say sammich so sanger (or sanga) is the Aussie equivalent of that.

And a salad sanga can have a lot of things in it BUT my favourite would include a little mayo on white bread OR TAYLORS () topped with leg ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce (iceberg), cucumber, grated carrot, boiled egg and beetroot.

YUM!!! Who's making that when I get there?
Ok, now I'm really confused. How's it a salad sandwich, if it has ham? It's a HAM SANDWICH!!! Not really yelling, just poking fun. I will never get your rules for slang and abbreviation; never.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
.... it's like an unofficial sport; lingustics footy.
Exactly!!! It's a proud part of my heritage to be honest.

Quote:
Ok, now I'm really confused. How's it a salad sandwich, if it has ham? It's a HAM SANDWICH!!! Not really yelling, just poking fun. I will never get your rules for slang and abbreviation; never.
Nope! It's a ham and salad sanga!

A ham sanga has ham. Period.

You know the slang and abbreviation can be really difficult to keep up with even when you're here and hearing it all the time. I love coming across some "new" term. And despite others finding it strange I think it's a really important thing to keep alive. I would LOVE to go see the bush poets. Some of the terms and words they use are just brilliant!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times
Quote:
Sarnie; seriously? That's even worse. There's no "r", "n", or "e" in the word sandwich. Are there any rules for abbreviations? Why not just call it a "snaffy"? I love a turkey snaffy with provolone, lettuce, tomato, bacon and a dallop of mayo; mmmm...that's one delicious snaffy.

I honestly believe that the overwhelming compulsion to abbreviate everything into words that a toddler might accidentally utter is cultural. I was in Oz for almost a month and couldn't get over how much you guys looove to abbreviate; it's like an unofficial sport; lingustics footy.
Only the Poms say "Sarnie" though.

There's not really alot of rules to "Strine". Other than, taking the first part of a word and then adding "o","ger/ga" or "ie" to it; eg Smoko, Sanger/ga , Barbie...etc

The other thing we do sometimes, is mash sentences together; eg Aveagoodweegend and Didjabringabeer.

It's very much a cultural thing. Becuase the only thing that truly defines Australia, is the way we speak.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:

There's not really alot of rules to "Strine". Other than, taking the first part of a word and then adding "o","ger/ga" or "ie" to it; eg Smoko, Sanger/ga , Barbie...etc

The other thing we do sometimes, is mash sentences together; eg Aveagoodweegend and Didjabringabeer.

It's very much a cultural thing. Becuase the only thing that truly defines Australia, is the way we speak.
I'm the opposite for this compared to Sonrise. I prefer and sometimes insist on local slang/abbreviations/dialect... Just because we officially speak the same language does not mean we should sound alike; that would be dull. Plus for me, it's even more fun when one group is totally perplexed at another English speaking groups common speech. Furthermore, I grew up in a multicultural city, have travelled around the U.S.A. and Caribbean and worked with "Newfies"; I've heard plenty of speech that was spoken in English, yet a lot more difficult to decipher than Australian.

"...I man I tell di I, a happy I happy mek I a gwaan so..." ~ Rastafarian Jamaican
(I'm telling you, it's because I'm happy that I'm going on so. )
Learning English can still be fun... even for native speakers.

*That's better than Canada; we are defined more by "not being American" than anything else.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
How about spreads, like butter, mayo, vegemite etc. to accompany the "salad?"

Are "salad sandwiches" sold in restaurants?
I've seen somewhat similar sangers made here, like lettuce, real cheddar slices and tomato with mayo; usually homemade.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:

We do that too. The real common one is didjeet? Translation= Did you eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand