Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I think he was just being a smart aleck. Everyone knows that a motorsport that only involves making a left, then another left....then another left...then another left and the drivers dont have to out break each is just candy a$$ racing that might as well be done on big wheels.

In response to the OPs question. I'm guessing F1, World Rally or World Touring Car is the most popular.
NASCAR has enough road races to satisfy the fans the like left and right. The regular NASCAR drivers also do it better than the so called "ringers" that show up on occasion.
I happen to be a long time NASCAR fan that likes road racing.

F1 + soccer= foreign fans
NASCAR + NFL= American fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NASCAR has enough road races to satisfy the fans the like left and right. The regular NASCAR drivers also do it better than the so called "ringers" that show up on occasion.

I actually disagree with this. Soccer is popular in America but it isn't for MLS (the US professional league) it is all about World Cup and Barclays' Premier League. Plus soccer is the largest active sport in America at the moment. Many kids play it.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
F1 - or "The pinnacle of racing": Races all over the world. Drivers from Europe, Australia, Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico. The Vettel dominace might end next year. Schumi's reign ended in 2005.
------
WRC: Stopped being relevant 6-7 years ago.
NASCAR: Not popular or relevant outside the US (and Canada?). Reasons: Oversized and anachronistic cars, races that last forever (like matches in American football), boring ovals.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:

Not even close. Any NASCAR fans I know would like to see a couple/few more road races. Most the crew chiefs/teams would like to see more too. Chad Knaus, being one of the most vocal about how much R&D that go into cars for only two races a year being a but wasteful and that he would welcome more.

And of course a regular in a specific car generally does better than someone who gets limited seat time in the same style of car. See how quickly those same majority of NASCAR regulars can get up to race pace in a formula car etc.in the same limited seat time. SOME may, but most will not.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
World-wide it's F-1 without a doubt. WRC may be second.

F-1 personally doesn't appeal to me because it's primarily an engineering-driven series. Those chassis practically drive themselves with all the crap they stuff into them.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

F-1 personally doesn't appeal to me because it's primarily an engineering-driven series. Those chassis practically drive themselves with all the crap they stuff into them.
I don't think that anybody would argue that F1 is not the most sophisticated race cars but I have also read that the more sophisticated a race car the easier it is to drive at it's limit.

I don't have a problem with anybody liking F1 just don't try to tell me they are the best racing drivers in the world.That would just be an opinion.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Probably F1 but just like soccer is the most popular team sport called football we all know it's not real football like the NFL. Just like F1 is not real racing.
F1 is real racing and egghand (NFL) is not real football

Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

How?

Active suspension: Banned in 1994
Launch control: Banned in 2004
Traction control: Banned in 2008
Gearbox: Sequential but not fully automatic. A paddle clutch for the start.

F1 G-force:
Max lateral: 5.5 G
Max acc: 1.5 G
Max breaking: 5 G

NASCAR g-force:
Max lateral: 2 G

Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
LOL at the people claiming that f1 drivers aren't the best in the world. You don't get a seat in one of those cars unless you are incredibly accomplished. Its the life goal of most every road racer to drive in f1 (excluding the nascar drivers and rally car guys, they are a different breed, although a lot of the drivers in f1 have a rally background).

As for the cars driving themselves, yeah right. As the above poster mentioned, all the funny stuff got taken out of them a long time ago, they are pure race cars that can do things no other race car could even dream of doing when in the hands of the right driver.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
As the above poster mentioned, all the funny stuff got taken out of them a long time ago, they are pure race cars that can do things no other race car could even dream of doing when in the hands of the right driver.
Except pass each other. When there is no passing it is just an exhibition of exotic machines.

A couple of years ago, Carl Edwards (not the best NASCAR driver) embarrassed Michael Schumacher in one of those stadium races. So much for F1 drivers being the best.

Carl Edwards burns Schumacher - YouTube

This video reminds me of the TV commercial of the kickboxer dancing all around the ring, flipping upside down and when the bell rang he gets knocked out with one punch. Way to go Carl you knocked out the showoff Schumacher.

Last edited by PDD; 12-10-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing