Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep. Where I live it's generally considered rude to honk your horn at people, but the more I'm around people like this yacking on their cell phones the more I'm tempted to start blasting mine.
I am in agreement with you, but I think that you shouldn't be too surprised if the horn has no effect.
Most of these folks are so deeply distracted from their driving tasks that they may not even be aware of your warning honk.

These are the same folks who (pick one or more):
Drive at 50 mph on the interstate
Drive 5 feet behind your rear bumper at 70 mph
Fail to turn their lights on when it becomes dark or when it is raining
Cut across 3 lanes of traffic at the last minute when they finally notice that they are approaching their exit
Fail to move when the traffic light turns green
Enter a superhighway at a ridiculously low speed and then cut you off when they suddenly merge
Can't manage to stay in lane on a curve

These folks may be just plain bad drivers to begin with, but when you add the distraction of a cell phone, they become a genuine hazard to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default How about this one...

The light ahead turns red. You leave about half a car length between you and the vehicle ahead of you. But the driver ahead of you has stopped several car lengths behind the one ahead of him. Then, he takes his foot off the brake and creeps ahead about ten feet and stops again. Then he repeats this several more times.

This is especially annoying when it keeps the drivers behind you from being able to access the left turn lane.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
When people dont use their blinkers. They are there for a reason...use them. Its called being curtious and respectful to other drivers on the road by letting them know what plan of action you are about to take. It takes 1 second to apply it, and I dont see why people choose to not use them. I find it funny that those who do not use blinkers buckle up for safety...well if your concerned about safety you should use your blinkers. Doesnt make any sense, might as well remove your brake lights as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
One thing that irritates me is to get behind someone who's coming up on a red light or stopped traffic and they start slowing down about a half-mile before they have to stop and then just creep up on the car ahead of them at about 1 mph for the last hundred or so feet. Just get there and stop.
It's most likely the same people who, in stop and go traffic, keep 20 or more car lengths between them and the car just ahead.
The left lane hog thing has been beat to death, so what else you got?
While making a right turn, blinker on signaling to do so, a woman darts out in front of me from a CVS driveway and proceeds to shake HER fist at ME?? I was so taken aback I couldn't respond. She cut in front of me and I am to blame? NEXT...same thing a few days later. Guy cuts in front of me I have to slam on my brakes and I get the FINGER??
Here's the best "Why is it my fault"....I pull up behind this guy at a light at the end of a driveway at Lowes. The light changed to green once..he sat there. So, patiently I wait for it to change for the second time. He continues to sit there so I hit the horn just a few times, ever so lightly, I am 64 years old and was not looking for a problem in my TOYOTA SCION XB. So, he says, "F you you fat bit*&!!!h." I say back to him "How did you know I was fat??"....he moved. WASN'T MY FAULT!! lol

Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default In a hurry to get to a red light

I see a lot of drivers who seem to focus their attention about 10 yards ahead of their hood ornament.

When I see the traffic signal a block ahead turn red, I start coasting. No need to burn up extra fuel just to sit at the stoplight. But many times, the driver behind me will put his/her foot through the floorboard trying to get around me, only to then see the red light and then stand on their brakes. And maybe it's just my perception, but it seems lots of these folks are driving full size V8 SUVs and they're the sole occupant.

It's just dumb.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
night time drivers who follow closely behind with their lights on bright

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
When making a right hand turn on a green light on a 2 or 3 lane street, is it ok for a car traveling in the opposite direction to make a left hand turn at the same time as you?
In my opinion, no, but I have heard others say yes to that. They say that you turn in to the right lane while I turn into the left lane. I think that is too risky. If there were 3 lanes or more on the road you're turning on to, then it kind of makes sense.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Pretty much everything, unfortunately.

Actually, living in a bigger city forces me to constaly be around "stupid drivers." Everything from flagrantly running red lights, to weaving lanes because they're texting, to straight-up aggressive dangerous speeding. It's crazy.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
People who bypass the entire lane of exiting or turning traffic, only to force themselves in at the last second.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM

290 posts, read 922,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
In my opinion, no, but I have heard others say yes to that. They say that you turn in to the right lane while I turn into the left lane. I think that is too risky. If there were 3 lanes or more on the road you're turning on to, then it kind of makes sense.
I agree it's risky. Sometimes I honk if I feel they're too close. And sometimes they look at me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive