Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM

298 posts, read 948,663 times

Advertisements

When you all buy a new car how much do you usually get off of the sticker price. I know it depends on the type of car. Whether it is in demand or not. But I am looking for a general number. I am looking at a Honda CR-V EX model with a MSRP of $26025? I look at Edmund's and they say i should pay $24,500. That is ridiculous because I already had one down to $23,298
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I usually cut a deal with them and say I want 10% off (or go down to the Blue Book value) and then give them ~$1-2k in options. They gotta eat too.

For a luxury car it's a little different but in the price range you're talking, it's more mid-range.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,655 times
Try CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying for advice on your question. It breaks it all down in basic terms to ensure you get the most bang for your buck.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
When you all buy a new car how much do you usually get off of the sticker price. I know it depends on the type of car. Whether it is in demand or not. But I am looking for a general number. I am looking at a Honda CR-V EX model with a MSRP of $26025? I look at Edmund's and they say i should pay $24,500. That is ridiculous because I already had one down to $23,298
There are no general rules.

A few years ago, a co-worker wanted me to help him hind a "steal" on a Honda Odyssey in Chicagoland. Of course, that was the "hot" car of the year. I told him that there was no way that a dealer would offer much of a deal on the car as they were in short supply. He called EIGHT dealers and all were within $200. The guy went into each dealership and tried to grind them but was generally ignored.

A few months passed. The guy walks in and says that he bought a vehicle ... a Chevrolet Impala. He got it for a $1000 under sticker - at a time when $3500 was closer to the norm.

How bad does the dealer want to get rid of the car.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:49 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Almost 3k off a crv is excellent. Just remember, it all depends on where you live. In my area, you would be lucky to get $1500 off one.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Never worry that a dealer will go broke in a car deal since all dealers get what's called a "dealer hold back" that the factory pays them when they sell a car. What a dealer gets between the hold back and list is pure gravy so bargain hard.

And don't fall that that old "invoice" price 'cause it doesn't count the hold back either. The only price that counts is the dealer factory cost and that isn't available to the public.

There are some dealers today that offer flat pricing so check them out in comparison to other dealers. Often flat pricing is the best price you will find.

I hate car buying ,and do it a little as I can, since you never know if you paid a fair price or got skinned.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Ugh...I'm going through this crap right now. What a royal pain in the butt, and sooooo stressful.
I don't trust any of these dealerships, especially because I used to be in the business and know the crap they pull.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I was able to get $9,000 and $5,000 off of my last two car purchases, but neither was a CRV. A friend recently bought a CRV and tried every trick in the book, ended up walking out but the dealer wouldn't budge off of the sticker price. They just don't have to, because those are so hot here. Tried the same at two othwers with same result, so finally went ahead and paid full price.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
You got $9,000 and $5,000 off because of rebates and incentives on whatever models you were purchasing. Those change.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Never worry that a dealer will go broke in a car deal since all dealers get what's called a "dealer hold back" that the factory pays them when they sell a car. What a dealer gets between the hold back and list is pure gravy so bargain hard.

And don't fall that that old "invoice" price 'cause it doesn't count the hold back either. The only price that counts is the dealer factory cost and that isn't available to the public.

There are some dealers today that offer flat pricing so check them out in comparison to other dealers. Often flat pricing is the best price you will find.

I hate car buying ,and do it a little as I can, since you never know if you paid a fair price or got skinned.
Actaully no one you deal with will know the dealer holdback as its called that is paid at the end of years directly to the dealer ownership. But the invoice does not reflect the incentive dealers get to sell those cars.You might want to visit edmonds 'com where you can get invoice 'MSRP for options and what people are paying in your area for the same model. Remeber tho options can increase what you will pay from others. Normally the lower the MSRP the less they will cut and even time of eyar avaries as to dealer incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive