Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most improved Luxury Brand.
Cadillac 22 41.51%
Lincoln 5 9.43%
Infiniti 10 18.87%
Acura 1 1.89%
Jaguar 15 28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times

Advertisements

I am not including Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz, Lexus because quite frankly they have always been good and popular luxury brands. This thread is referring more to luxury brands that about a decade or so were doing poorly, were not popular or on the brink of extinction.

For me Infiniti. They have really become the Japanese BMW, and each year they keep getting better. Cadillac is a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I would say Cadillac followed by Buick.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
I'd say Cadillac really only for the CTS-V. Also because I'd take a well optioned Charger over a 300.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I'd actually have to go Jaguar, followed by Cadillac followed by Infiniti. Jaguar is a brand that was really on its last legs and managed to reinvent itself and recapture its roots in a short period of time. The Cadillac resurgence has also been great to watch, though they have more work to do. The CTS shows what they can do. Infiniti has improved greatly over the past several years, particularly in their interiors, that were absolutely horrific not that long ago.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I voted for Jaguar because all their vehicles have greatly improved in styling and quality. I would have liked to vote for Caddy but they only have one improved vehicle while the others still lag behind. Infinity is also improved. I thought Infinity and Acura were in the near luxuary level along with Buick? Acura has a great product, if you're willing to ignore it's face. I'd love to see Jaguar do a roadster in the British tradition except for their lack of reliability.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I am not including Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz, Lexus because quite frankly they have always been good and popular luxury brands. This thread is referring more to luxury brands that about a decade or so were doing poorly, were not popular or on the brink of extinction.

For me Infiniti. They have really become the Japanese BMW, and each year they keep getting better. Cadillac is a close second.
Huh? Plenty of BMW's with electrical or headgasket problems, Lexus with the Toyota engine sludge problem, etc. These cars sell but are often more of a burden on the owners than they want to admit. I think Caddy is most improved but GM got my contribution from the government so they won't get anymore from me.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Huh? Plenty of BMW's with electrical or headgasket problems, Lexus with the Toyota engine sludge problem, etc. These cars sell but are often more of a burden on the owners than they want to admit. I think Caddy is most improved but GM got my contribution from the government so they won't get anymore from me.
I am talking about improved image, 'luxury quality', near the brink of death, respectability. Other than Lexus' recent problems, before that Lexus was the most reliable luxury brand and BMW is pretty good compared to other brands like Jaguar, Audi in terms of reliablity. However, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Lexus, reliable or not, have always been the most popular and successful luxury brands. The point of this thread was to look at ailing brands that reinvented themselves to become a better compeititor to the 'luxury segment'.

That's the right spirit to have about GM too. Geez, let's dig the American car companies in a even bigger whole by refusing to buy them. I didn't like the buyout but this attitude is pretty ignorant IMO. GM has done a lot to reinvent themselves and improve their quality just look at Cadillac and Buick alone. 5 years ago I would never ever by a Buick, but man I am more than willing now.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Also IMO, Acura if anything has gotten worse in recent years. Those cars are too ugly and really they seem to be trying to hard.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I voted for Jaguar because all their vehicles have greatly improved in styling and quality. I would have liked to vote for Caddy but they only have one improved vehicle while the others still lag behind. Infinity is also improved. I thought Infinity and Acura were in the near luxuary level along with Buick? Acura has a great product, if you're willing to ignore it's face. I'd love to see Jaguar do a roadster in the British tradition except for their lack of reliability.
No, Acura and Infiniti are definitely full luxury brands, they just put a lot more focus on sport. This is they way I see it:

Germany - Japan Comparison

Mercedes Benz = Lexus
BMW = Infiniti
Audi, sort of = Acura

I am not saying they are equal in quality, sales, popularity, etc, rather those are the main competition for each of those Japanese brands. Lexus targets MB, Infiniti targets BMW, and Acura, well I really don't know, but maybe Audi?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
On the list: Jaguar, hands down, imo.

They were really on the brink of death, and somehow, within a very short time, they completely revolutionized the brand, the cars and everything about them, bringing Jaguar back to what it used to be, instead of designing the cars to look like what Jaguars looked like in the 60s.

I'd also mention Aston Martin, who improved a little slower, with the DB7 and Vanquish at first, but they've gone from being the company that make cars that never work but look ok, to making cars that are drop dead gorgeous, deliver proper GT performance, whilst still being able to withstand everyday driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive