Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Looks like our op has left the building,too bad i was curious as to what type of car he didnt want to put 2800 miles on and what he ultimately ended up doing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Six months since the last on point comment... but a newbie can still reopen a dead thread.
Setting aside that this one then spams the forum with blatant advertising...

I sure wish CD would just lock old threads so that (however well meaning)
newbies can't bottom post their out of context questions or add 3 year late comments

Read through the old threads? Absolutely; just make them "read only".
But when the attempt is made to quote or post a quick reply... don't let it work.

Instead they can get a polite message advising the newbie about the age issue and suggesting
that if their concern hasn't been addressed within then comments already there...
they should find a newer thread or point them to a "new post" button in that forum.

Something like a sliding scale so the busier and longer threads can stay active longer... but,
less than 10 posts close and lock after X weeks
less than 20 posts close and lock after Y weeks
less than 30 posts close and lock after Z weeks
and so forth...

Is that really so hard?---

Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Six months since the last on point comment... but a newbie can still reopen a dead thread.
Setting aside that this one then spams the forum with blatant advertising...

I sure wish CD would just lock old threads so that (however well meaning)
newbies can't bottom post their out of context questions or add 3 year late comments

Read through the old threads? Absolutely; just make them "read only".
But when the attempt is made to quote or post a quick reply... don't let it work.

Instead they can get a polite message advising the newbie about the age issue and suggesting
that if their concern hasn't been addressed within then comments already there...
they should find a newer thread or point them to a "new post" button in that forum.

Something like a sliding scale so the busier and longer threads can stay active longer... but,
less than 10 posts close and lock after X weeks
less than 20 posts close and lock after Y weeks
less than 30 posts close and lock after Z weeks
and so forth...

Is that really so hard?---
I've seen that same thing discussed on the "Board" section of the forum where such things are talked about. The general position of the Admin I believe is that they leave them open and actually encourage people to post to them under the hope that they are bringing new information or updates to a topic. In general though, I agree with you it gets annoying to have 2, 3 and sometimes even 4 and 5 year old threads resurface so someone can make an inane post.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,443 times
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for the best options for moving my family from LA to central CA, we actually recently did this move and had a relocation company come and pack us and ship everything, including packing and materials it was $8400, that was CA to LA. Now we are going back the other way, and have acquired a vehicle in the mean time. The situation is a bit different this time, we have been allotted a certain amount of money and have been told that whatever we don't use is our to keep as a sign on bonus... We have a three year old and a 6 month old, so driving is an option, however, having just done it not long ago, the appeal of "creating a family memory" is long gone... From what we have discovered it appears that shipping the vehicles as opposed to driving both and the kids as well will ultimately end up being very close in cost... when you add fuel, lodging, food, time, and stress it seems to be roughly $1500 and shipping the two is around $2000....
I'm looking for anyone's opinion and any tips/options you may have... Does anyone know of a discount/trust worthy shipping company? Thank you all very much for your time and help...

Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
If LA = Los Angeles, and "central CA" = maybe Modesto, that is about 300 miles. How is that an overnight trip "with family memorys" ??

If above is correct, then pay the furniture movers, drive both cars.

What would you do if you ship both cars ?? Fly to "central CA" with a toddler and a baby ??

BTW, you might get more, better responses by posting a new thread in the General Moving forum at

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Last edited by reed303; 09-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: add'l

Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If LA = Los Angeles, and "central CA" = maybe Modesto, that is about 300 miles. How is that an overnight trip "with family memorys" ??
LA could be Louisiana.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Talking Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
LA could be Louisiana.

Ouch

Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Ouch
It's OK, I have to stop and think about what a poster is trying to convey at times.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM

123 posts, read 295,688 times
If you're nervous about your car's reliability, or even if you're not, add free towing, hotel reimbursement, etc to your insurance (or just get AAA plus membership) ... and have a good shop do an overall check. I was traveling across the USA with someone once and their engine went on the freeway... which never would have happened if the shop actually did check the car before we left. What could have been a 10 minute fix ended up costing thousands...

Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
It's OK, I have to stop and think about what a poster is trying to convey at times.
Just one more good reason not to use postal abbreviations anywhere but on something you're mailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive