Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 AM

89 posts, read 409,682 times

Advertisements

I have a 1999 safari that was recently rear ended. Its current value as estimated by the insurance company is $500, and of course not worth fixing it. I'm looking to get rid of it, and selling it is not an option as I cannot find the title (and I don't want to deal with the dmv-not worth the time or money I'd get from selling).
I was wondering how much does pick n pull pay and whether or not it would be a better option to sell it for scrap meta. I just want to make the most money out of it, without requiring a title, considering the car still runs and pretty much everything working on it.
I will appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We scrapped a van (full sized conversion van) and got $450 for it. It was running and drivable, but had a blown head gasket. They said they would give us $350 for a minivan we need to get rid of that has to be towed.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I doubt pick and pull will take it without a title. they won't here.

Craigslist as a parts car. Be sure to get a receipt cause if someone puts it back on the road, with a VIN in your name, you might need to prove it wasn't you that ran over the kids in the crosswalk and then used it as a getaway car in an armed robbery.

Also, selling a car without a title is ILLEGAL in some states. so check out the rules.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:25 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
You will have a hard time(impossible legally) junking it without a title, depending on your State getting a replacement may be easy, I know it is here in Ohio.

Call the DMV and see what you need to do.

I know it will be worth the few hundred you will get from the scrap place.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM

89 posts, read 409,682 times
If I do have a way to show the van is on my name, will it still be a problem? What happened is, when I bought the car I went with the owner to a notary located inside a bank. This bank (and the notary public) are closed for good and there's no way for me I can get a copy of any paperwork. DMV wants me to provide the lien satisfy, which I don't have (maybe I do but can't find it) and I don't have any contact info of the previous owner to ask if he can help. I do have paperwork that shows the van was transferred to my name and that I'm the current owner, printed by the DMV.

I was also able to pay 2yrs due registration and some other fees and tickets to get my 2011 registration (wasn't driving it since 09). My question now is: How come the DMV allowed me to pay the fees and hand me the 2011 tags if I wasn't the "legal" owner?

I have seen commercials where they say they'd tow away your junk with no paperwork required-how do those work? I live in CA if that's of any help. Sorry for the long post, it just doesn't make sense to me how I can pay the fees and get the tags on the van, yet can't "throw it away" legally..

Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
You don't need to be the owner to pay for the registration.

Sounds like there is still a lien on it.
The state can't send you a title because the lien holder still has it, like the bank
( still owns the car until it's paid off. Like the bank savings and loan, credit union.)
run the vin it will tell you who owns it and it still could have a lien.

The junk yard will not take your stolen car you need a title.

If you do get rid of it and there is a lien you are still responsible to pay it and you just committed fraud.

You failed to file the title in your name or a bank still has it because it is not paid for or a lien still exists.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 10,929 times
I have a 1998 chev malibu 6cyl 4 door. Clean title. No dents it has around170,000 mile. Will run if water pump and belts are fixed. Battery needs charged. Just had front breaks done and put in a new radiador. About 6 month ago.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
I have a 1999 safari that was recently rear ended. Its current value as estimated by the insurance company is $500, and of course not worth fixing it. I'm looking to get rid of it, and selling it is not an option as I cannot find the title (and I don't want to deal with the dmv-not worth the time or money I'd get from selling).
I was wondering how much does pick n pull pay and whether or not it would be a better option to sell it for scrap meta. I just want to make the most money out of it, without requiring a title, considering the car still runs and pretty much everything working on it.
I will appreciate your help!

Christ. Go smog it and throw it on CL for 1200 bucks. Tell the guy you'll only meet at AAA or DMV to do the deal if you don't have AAA. Junkyard may give you 2-400 for it. Meet the buyer drop 200 and sell it.

My last work truck dealer wanted to give me $700 on trade. 200,000 miles AC just crapped out. Threw on CL for I think 2800. Guy called a hour later. Smogged it, met the guy two days later, threw in a set of headers at asking price thst I bought never installed and deal was done.
Don't leave money on the table for someone else

Old 10-15-2015, 10:28 PM

806 posts, read 958,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanhaag View Post
I have a 1998 chev malibu 6cyl 4 door. Clean title. No dents it has around170,000 mile. Will run if water pump and belts are fixed. Battery needs charged. Just had front breaks done and put in a new radiador. About 6 month ago.
Thanks for sharing a pointless story.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Does your registration show a lien holder? If it doesn't then all you need to do is file for a lost title. It doesn't take long or cost a lot. It just sounds like you don't want to be bothered.
Rarely can you transfer title if the vehicke has a lienholder. The PO would have to get a release of lien from the title co. Which would clear the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive