Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM

406 posts, read 1,432,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think a great way to qualify a customer is to ask simply: "How can I help you?"

If they say: "huh?" Then you can ask if they know about the features, or offer info on the pricing or availability. But usually a customer will attempt to qualify himself. He will answer: "I'm just looking around" or "I wanted to see these new models" or "I have to get a car for my son for college." All of these responses are positive opportunities to engage with the customer at his level and without pissing him off as others have warned against.

The thing that get me back out into the parking lot and driving away is the guy who says: "what will it take to get you to buy a car today?"

unfortunatly I have to say that!! lol and "i'm just looking around" or "i'm just looking" is not an acceptable answer becouse they are all just looking until they buy and you have to dig more info out of them, figure out what they like, show them a car that would suit them and convince them this is the car they need...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,502,126 times
The response to "I'm just looking" is certainly: "well, can I tell you about the great features of this car or would you like to know about pricing and delivery? Or, would you like me to get a key so you can look inside?"

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
Regarding product knowledge, you have brochures, and perhaps one of the best tools at your disposal, the Internet. Know the product you are selling and its competition inside and out, so that you are able to frame the vehicle to a buyer, and can manage objections successfully, or counter them with additional features, etc. Read some reviews, by professional magazines, but basically memorize the features, stats, etc. from the manufacturer's website. Product knowledge is key, as it drives me insane when someone tries to sell me something and has no clue as to what I have asked as a question.

I have never worked in car sales, but have bought a good number, and the main thing that retains business in addition to being prepared with knowledge of the product is honesty. Don't try to show the customer that you know everything, etc., but be approachable, friendly, and honest in your dealings with them. If, say, someone comes in and wants a sedan, and you show them a few vehicles, and you come down to trying to push SUVs because the sales manager wants to move them, you will alienate a customer who may have wanted a Camry or Corolla. And, with said Camry or Corolla, sell the car that is most appropriate to the customer. After you have sold the car, and hopefully have received positive feedback, send a few of your cards along to the customer and ask them for a referral. Be sure to thank them in advance, and if they send you someone, tell them how much you appreciate the referral. Most sales positions are relationship-oriented, not adversarial, so your own code of conduct will overcome the stereotype of a typical car salesperson. Best of luck.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM

373 posts, read 711,181 times
My first job at a GM dealer required me working with the car salesmen . I recall what one of them said that applied to his customers. His little saying was "Sir you are both a gentleman and a schlor. A man of knowledge and destinkshion whose intellegence is only exceeded by his good looks" I also met a good looking female car salesmen that was always selling cars...Rumor was she made the deals at night,at her house...lol ( my spell check is broke and the wife is asleep so overlook the bad spelling)

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 AM

44,649 posts, read 61,691,885 times
Quote:
.The thing that get me back out into the parking lot and driving away is the guy who says: "what will it take to get you to buy a car today?"
My answer usually is "winning the lottery"...

Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM

880 posts, read 1,801,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I am a new car salesman hire; I pretty much have down my "meet and greet", I just need a little help with "qualifying the buyer" and the "walk around" (vehicle presentation). My first and main question is can somebody help me out by providing me with some good qualifying questions I could ask the customer. Secondly, can somebody give me some scenarios of overcoming customer objections I could use. Maybe even some general tips on turning a shopper into a buyer.
The most important question to ask is, " if everything is right, is there any possibility you would buy today?"

If they want to look at other vehicles they haven't seen yet than there's not much you can do.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM

3,249 posts, read 6,310,900 times
Quote:
The thing that get me back out into the parking lot and driving away is the guy who says: "what will it take to get you to buy a car today?"
That question guarantees that I will leave the dealer and buy it somewhere else,even if I was looking to buy today.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,087,830 times
If the customer does not have a specific make/model in mind, find out exactly what they like and, more importantly, what they don't like about the cars you show them and simply help them make a decision. Don't just show one car and ask "do you like it? no? okay, how about this one? no? how about this one? no?"

Engage them. Help them find the car they want to buy instead of trying to sell them the car you want them to buy.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 PM

118 posts, read 211,219 times
Every dealership from mid range to luxury will teach you a slightly different version of the basic 10 steps to a sale. This will help you become an average sales consultant. In order to move up another level to top producer, you must master the following: 1. personality- attitude sells: sell yourself and the dealership first. Build raport and get their guards down. It's harder for them to say no if they like you. 2. dealership politics- win over mgrs and as many co workers in different dept as you can: this will help with advancement, extra deals, extra favors, etc.. 3. applying indirect pressure on clients- instead of asking why not buy today, ask them: what's holding you from moving forward today or if all the numbers are right, did you want to take delivery today? 4. Networking: make friends with people from other dealership (same brand or your competitor), banks/credit union, insurance company, etc... 5. Great follow up system: call customer and thank them for stopping by that day, mail out cards, email/text, follow up old leads, & always ask for referrals. 6. work the phone: try not to work price over the phone and key thing is to get them in. 7. Know your inventory: what's in stock and what's coming in. Color, options, and aged inventory. 8. Switching cars: every color has it's pros and cons: silver- pros: clean & hard to see scratches cons: hard to see in fog and rain, plain and plentyful. red- pros: sporty & cons: hard to see in the evening sun, tickets, resale value. 9. Know your competitors: again, pros and cons. Set up time bomb by planting info in their head, but never talk bad about the competition. 10. Be aggressive and hussle your way up. Advance to manager/director or high line sales. 11. Learn word tracks of features and benefits. 12. practice overcoming objections: must handle all objections quick and smooth. Example. "I have to talk it over with the wife", great, i know how it is, its a big purchase and i do the same thing. Is your wife close by maybe we can bring the car over to her. 13. ask open ended questions: you want more than a yes/no answer, get them to talk. 14. find clients hot button- safety, performance, style, comfort and focus on these in the walk around. Don't bored the customer with too much info.

Remember, its not what you say but it's how you say it. Perception is everything. You can tell the clients 100 good things about the car and all it take is one wrong word to kill the deal.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,033,456 times
good advice above. I would add to also make sure you listen. Some buyers are flexible in that they are looking for "a car" and you help them find the right one on your lot. But (especially on a used lot) if someone comes in looking at a particular vehicle and discusses the exact type of car they are looking for, take the info and go with it. And you may not have that car or anything like it but at least try for their contact info to follow up as "used cars come in and out daily and i'll keep my eyes open for "x" car for you"... dont try to push them into something they are not interested in.

My wife and I can not be swayed, whether new or used (we enjoy workign with the right sales person, just know what we want ahead of time). We research on our own so by the time we hit any lot we already have the car chosen, it's the details to work out. When we moved down to SC we decided it was time to get rid of the "toy" car we had and get a late model sports car/convertible. But we were looking at only 3 models and that was it. Saw a used z on a lot and pulled in. Nice enough salesman, and we looked at the car in question. After a few minutes we decided it wasnt the right one. And though in our talks we were clear in what we were looknig for, he asked 3 times if we wanted to go over and look at a new Genesis coupe. The first time I answered back we already had a coupe and if we wanted a coupe we'd keep the one we had; that we were looking for a 2 seat convertible..... and yet he asked a couple more times why we wouldnt want to check it out.

There are just some times to let it go; he would have been far better off taking our info, thanking us for our time, and contacting us if they got something in we wanted. But his following the steps that dealer's system required made sure that we wont stop there again in the future either.
Some people can be pushed to buy even subliminally, others can be pushed away for good. just my .02 from selling cars as well as buying plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive