Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No it isn't.
Now why would you say this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No it isn't.
Perfect, nice and succinct. Common sense. Some people clearly lack it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Now why would you say this??
I can see why you would be bewildered. Common sense dictates that people need to get around. Public transportation or cycling or walking isn't feasible or economical.

Now if you live in an urban setting where everything you need to proximate, yes owning a car is not always practical.

The majority of the people live in places where you need to get around quickly and efficiently not a schedule that uses public transportation or reliant on delivery. So the argument that owning a car is outdated is beyond silly.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
Sitting in your room clicking buttons all day on your smartphone? That's crazy.

Having a vehicle is a great excuse to go outside!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
I am 19 years old and I do value my phone, but I think I value my car just as much. I don't think driving's lost its touch too much.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM

109 posts, read 194,741 times
I have an amazing phone. All is does is make calls and I actually have to TALK!!!! Weird I'm sure for those 30 and under..... I'd throw 10,000 phones away to keep my car!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Cars are not going away in any of our lifetimes, there just isn't the money in governments to provide the infrastructure to replace them with other forms of transportation. Even if they did, people have and always will prefer the freedom of a car. I will say that the smart phone has been a big motivation for me to start using the bus, and be online relaxing on the commute. Still my wife and I have 3 vehicles, one to get me to the park & ride, one for her to get to work, and the 3rd for fun.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
As many will learn there are many ways to "travel" and get things done without the use of a gas (and money) sucking car.

High gas prices? Whatevs — my phone gets me where I want to go | Grist
When you rely on other people and other people's technology you are at their mercy. You are not free nor independent nor capable of making your own decisions. In a world where we are spoon fed the dictates of "popular culture" a person must fight to remain independent. Having a vehicle feeds that independence and so it is has fallen into disfavor and public transportation has been pushed. Much of the problem with our rising gas prices is intended to keep economically disadvantaged people subservient and dependent upon public transportation.

I encourage everyone NOT to fall into this mind set. Instead, fight for your independence at every opportunity.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Why own a car when you can hike to your mailbox for 99
weeks of UI, Section 8, cash assistance and a EBT card.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When you rely on other people and other people's technology you are at their mercy. You are not free nor independent nor capable of making your own decisions. In a world where we are spoon fed the dictates of "popular culture" a person must fight to remain independent. Having a vehicle feeds that independence and so it is has fallen into disfavor and public transportation has been pushed. Much of the problem with our rising gas prices is intended to keep economically disadvantaged people subservient and dependent upon public transportation.

I encourage everyone NOT to fall into this mind set. Instead, fight for your independence at every opportunity.

20yrsinBranson
That reminds me of something I told all my kids when they got a drivers license: ALWAYS TAKE YOUR CAR (actually...mine ) Wherever you go with your friends, never go in someone else's vehicle. In your own car, YOU decide how fast you will go, where you will go and when you leave.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Riding a rail vehicle is so two centuries ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive