Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't recall saying I don't think insurance is important.
You don't recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I doubt many home-garage mechanics carry insurance sufficient for the task at hand -- homeowner policy might, but wouldn't count on it. That's part of the tradeoff for paying them quite a bit less...
Sounds that way to me.

As you put it:
"I've used shade-tree mechanics before when I needed to keep a beater zip-tied and duct-taped together as cheaply as possible just enough to stay on the road."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You don't recall?

Sounds that way to me.

As you put it:
"I've used shade-tree mechanics before when I needed to keep a beater zip-tied and duct-taped together as cheaply as possible just enough to stay on the road."
There is a difference between auto insurance and business insurance.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There is a difference between auto insurance and business insurance.
As well as homeowner's and business insurance. Homeowner's isn't going to cover losses under Garage Keeper's Legal Liability or other losses in conjunction with a for-profit business operation under the umbrella of residential coverage.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You don't recall?

Sounds that way to me.

As you put it:
But nowhere did I say insurance isn't important. What I did say is it's a trade-off.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
As a fleet manager with 15-20 vehicles of various makes, I have dealt with probably every auto shop and most dealerships in the general vicinity of our business. There are some great independent shops, some great tire stores and some great dealer ships out there. And there are some that are just absolutely terrible.

After a while, you get a good idea of which ones are which and you develop a relationship with them. And there are some places that we direct our drivers away from (including dealerships). If a dealership has a bad reputation, we don't deal with them for vehicle purchases.

I don't play the "billable hours" game. I want a quote upfront before the job starts as the total cost is what is relevant. If the cost is outrageous, we will take it elsewhere. We also use the GE Fleet services and they'll evaluate whether the billing is reasonable (and whether it should be warranty).

I cannot speak for others, but when I moved into the area, 90% of the people I worked with recommended two local independents in an area with perhaps 50 repair centers. That is telling.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I really don't think my car (an 1985 Toyota Supra) is all that complicated to work on? and a Shade Tree Mechanic should be able to fix it?

I'm getting very close to the "finishing line" and the main reason I decided to invest this money is for resale value, as I'm less than a year from retiring and living without a car, and once settled in I plan to Ebay this car and live with an electric bike. With my low income expected during retirement there'll be no room in my budget for auto repair bills, and the other culprits: traffic tickets and high gas prices.

Thanks everso much for all these informative posts. My suspicions have been confirmed.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Electric bike... good plan.

Thought about one myself from time to time but can't justify the up-front cost at this time.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Depends on the car. If you have something like a 4 cyl honda, or a 6 cyl jeep, and everything is easily accessible, there is no reason to take it to any one else
Amen...my last Jeep, with the I6, was a breeze to work on, outside of the computer. I've done gaskets, plugs, filters, the alternator and a few other odds and ends on it. My new one, with the Pentastar...I don't even want to touch it.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I recently had some work done on my car, and I was told it would take 4 hours for this and 3 hours for something else. Since I drop my car off, I'm not there to clock them as to whether or not they actually worked those hours or not, or if it's a part of some prescribed formula used by all mechanics.

Has anyone ever stuck around and clocked them as to whether or not they actually worked those hours?

I find it interesting that all the hours are rounded off to the nearest hour, no mechanic has ever given me a time frame of 1 hour and 45 minutes or 50 minutes. Given the high rates they charge today, shouldn't we be more vigilant of them?

I only make $13.38 an hour, and believe me, I'm under vigilance every minute I work there! And at $80, $90, $100 an hour, shouldn't we be?
I don't trust mechanics at all because I have yet to find an honest one.

I'm not saying there aren't honest mechanics out there. I'm sure there are. I just haven't found one yet.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
I don't trust customers at all because I have yet to find an honest one.

I'm not saying there aren't honest customers out there. I'm sure there are. I just haven't found one yet.

Sounds kinda ignorant when you read it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive