Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How can you tell by looking that someone is Jewish unless they are Orthodox?

As for Volvos - they only have 0.4% of the US market. I don't think very many people of any ethnicity buy and drive them.
Well throughout NYC where I live there are quite a few Hasidic Jewish communites especially in Brooklyn and I have NEVER seen one of them driving for example a coupe or small car for that matter. Its ALWAYS a mini van (Toyota Sienna/Honda Odyssey) or a large luxury vehicle usually a Lexus.

As for Volvo, they may only have a small portion of the US market but in my lifetime I have never seen anyone other than a white person driving one.

Last edited by louie0406; 10-11-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Indians (and many other Asians) always drive Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. If they are very wealthy they might drive Mercedes/BMW, but never American makes.
lol, a good friend of mine is Indian and just happens to be a tuner, mainly for GM products. He owns the following: Camaro SS, Corvette, CTS-V, Silverado and an Enclave for his wife. His grandmother drives a STS. His father drives an Excursion 7.3L diesel. His mother has a GMC Envoy. His sister drives a MKX.

Grandmoms a doctor. Dad owns a chain of Subways. Mom owns a motel. My friend is a partner in a performance shop. The sister is in medical school. About as NJ Indian as you can get, lol.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM

24,397 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I don't think this is really true anymore, stereotyping by car. Maybe 10, 15 , 20 years ago. Locally we had a standing joke that if a guy was spanish, he'd be driving a Toyota(corolla). Tinted windows, and a low rider. That was largely true. An african american might drive a Cadillac Escalade 10 years ago. There was enough instances to justify that being somewhat true. Now I see more african americans driving jaguars. But even then its not by a wide margin.
I see lots of different model cars being driven by lots of different people. And unless I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for somebody I don't really pay attention to who is driving what or who gets out of what car. Certain cars are favored by older drivers. Kia Souls, Smart cars,hyundai Accents Mini Coopers.
I'm more drawn to watching who parks in handicap spaces and what they drive and how easily they get in and out of the car. Or if I'm at a light I'll look to see whos yakking on a cell phone.
At least where I live we've seen nearly the end of fancy rims and wheels. The potholes just wreck them and in this economy you can't **** money away on new wheels every year. Loud blasting stereos have also become a thing of the past. So have loud mufflers. And tinted windows. I guess yearly car inscpections are a good thing.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Indians (and many other Asians) always drive Toyota, Nissan, or Honda. If they are very wealthy they might drive Mercedes/BMW, but never American makes.
I see a contradiction to this statement on a daily basis on my way to work.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, a good friend of mine is Indian and just happens to be a tuner, mainly for GM products. He owns the following: Camaro SS, Corvette, CTS-V, Silverado and an Enclave for his wife. His grandmother drives a STS. His father drives an Excursion 7.3L diesel. His mother has a GMC Envoy. His sister drives a MKX.

Grandmoms a doctor. Dad owns a chain of Subways. Mom owns a motel. My friend is a partner in a performance shop. The sister is in medical school. About as NJ Indian as you can get, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I see a contradiction to this statement on a daily basis on my way to work.
Maybe, certainly not in DFW.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
These are just the trends that I noticed throughout my life. These are just "trends" so of course not everyone of each race fills that cateogry. Please nobody get offended.

BLACKS:
- Dark colored or white 90's model Infinitis/Nissans/Acuras/Mercedes/BMW's/Lexus's
- Dark colored SUV's with tinted windows
- Those new Kia Soul's (among black females)

HISPANICS:
- Older-model honda/acura's
- Older-model minivans

EAST ASIANS/INDIANS:
- Honda's (of all yr/models)
- Toyota's (of all yr/models)

WHITES:
- 90's/00's Chevy Camaro's (among the younger male demographic)
- Crossover SUV's
- Volvo's
- Subaru's
- Toyota Prius's
- Luxury new-model SUV's in the richer suburban areas

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-11-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Not trying to stereotype .
LOL that is exactly what the point of this is!

ster·e·o·type (str--tp, stîr-)
n. 1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
LOL that is exactly what the point of this is!

ster·e·o·type (str--tp, stîr-)
n. 1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
I should've elaborated that I wasnt trying to stereotype in a negative way. Happy?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
You need to get out more.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I should've elaborated that I wasnt trying to stereotype in a negative way. Happy?
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive