Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I don't think this is really true anymore, stereotyping by car. Maybe 10, 15 , 20 years ago. Locally we had a standing joke that if a guy was spanish, he'd be driving a Toyota(corolla). Tinted windows, and a low rider. That was largely true. An african american might drive a Cadillac Escalade 10 years ago. There was enough instances to justify that being somewhat true. Now I see more african americans driving jaguars. But even then its not by a wide margin.
I see lots of different model cars being driven by lots of different people. And unless I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for somebody I don't really pay attention to who is driving what or who gets out of what car. Certain cars are favored by older drivers. Kia Souls, Smart cars,hyundai Accents Mini Coopers.
I'm more drawn to watching who parks in handicap spaces and what they drive and how easily they get in and out of the car. Or if I'm at a light I'll look to see whos yakking on a cell phone.
At least where I live we've seen nearly the end of fancy rims and wheels. The potholes just wreck them and in this economy you can't **** money away on new wheels every year. Loud blasting stereos have also become a thing of the past. So have loud mufflers. And tinted windows. I guess yearly car inscpections are a good thing.
If you are talking about those fart cannons on imports that sound like a chainsaw... AND WET ASS...then yes. I believe I would DIE if I had to have a grampa exhaust on muscle......just leave it parked for a big sissy. YUCK!!

Flowmaster Super 40 Commercial - YouTube

Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 AM

43 posts, read 142,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, a good friend of mine is Indian and just happens to be a tuner, mainly for GM products. He owns the following: Camaro SS, Corvette, CTS-V, Silverado and an Enclave for his wife. His grandmother drives a STS. His father drives an Excursion 7.3L diesel. His mother has a GMC Envoy. His sister drives a MKX.

Grandmoms a doctor. Dad owns a chain of Subways. Mom owns a motel. My friend is a partner in a performance shop. The sister is in medical school. About as NJ Indian as you can get, lol.
I am sure asubram3 meant first generation Indian. Second generation and onwards, they are sufficiently assimilated to break out of several stereotypes.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How can you tell by looking that someone is Jewish unless they are Orthodox?

As for Volvos - they only have 0.4% of the US market. I don't think very many people of any ethnicity buy and drive them.
I'm white. I drive a Volvo. I think it's a solid "liberal" luxury car. I bought it after a Mexican friend told me that for my image (white middle class liberal) I should drive either a Prius or a Volvo.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
The Baltimore area here is 66% African American, so I see them driving any kind of car, from Smarts to Rolls Royces. But, I hate to say it, there are stereotypical modded cars around. For example, if a Chrysler 300 looks like this:

Or this:

You can be sure a young black guy is driving it. Same with the custom Dodge Chargers:

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've noticed lately that many black people seem like to like Chrysler. The majority of the 200's and 300's here have black drivers. Even the Dodge Charger I notice has a bigger following among black folks.
True here too in SE MI. Various minority groups prefer certain brands here, too, it seems. Lexus is often Black or Middle Eastern, Infiniti too, but those are uncommon. Acura tends to be more White or Asian, but late model Acuras are spotty around here. Mercedes-Benz in my part of the metro area is overwhelmingly driven by Blacks (my local dealer is also Black-owned). I don't see enough BMWs to make an observation. Mitsubishi, if you ever see one (VERY uncommon), is almost always Black or Middle Eastern as well. Jaguars are also overwhelmingly predominantly seen being driven by Blacks.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
I can’t say that I see enough of a pattern to identify a trend with stock cars of any brand or model. Modified cars on the other hand you can almost bet on the ethnicity of the driver.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Every ethnicity loves BMWs!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Near the main ASU campus, almost every new Camaro I see is driven by a Middle Eastern young man. Most of them have custom plates too, containing UAE, DUBAI, or something that identifies them as Middle Eastern.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
I definitely notice the differences in my neighborhood and my city as a whole. It also depends on the social class between wealthy and poor residents, politics play a role as well, Liberal or Conservative neighborhoods or areas are the most obvious differences.

Here's my observations on a daily basis all around San Diego.

Whites: Liberal's= Volvo's, Toyo Prius, Subaru, Kia's, Acura's, VW, Beetle, BMW 3 series (popular among young white college kids with daddy's and mommies money), Benz C-class, Infiniti's and pretty much every midget car you can think of since they are all about saving the environment. Certain SUV's.

White Conservatives= Lots of trucks, Chevy's, Dodge Ram, Dodge Cummins, and the ultimate hardcore conservative patriotic American vehicle is a Ford 150. Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Sienna, Buicks, Lexuses, Full size Fords, or any Ford car in general usually. Honda Accord (it's a toss up), and overall mostly domestic cars in a household. Also Certain SUV's.

Blacks (Well young ghetto black men): Tons and tons of 300's customize with big rims and added accessories, Chargers, Magnums, Infiniti's pretty much any full size car, Chrysler Sebring, older Cadillac's and Lincoln Town Cars with 23's on em, especially from the 90's. Beat up cars, Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala's from the early 2000's with candy paint lol. Older 80's "Box" style Caprice Classic's with 24 inch rims. 90's Lexuses, Early 2000's/90's BMW's, and yes for some reason they prefer White or Black Beemers haha so true!

Blacks in general: They pretty much drive all cars from what I can tell besides for newer foreign luxury cars.

Hispanics: Gardner's, man do these guys just adore the late 80's-92 Toyota pick up trucks! I see them everywhere beat to ****!! Toyota Camry 90-2000, 90's Honda Accords, Chevy pick up's, older domestics like Cadillac Devilles , Mini Vans, and the rest is a toss up. Daily beaters if you go to the hood.
Classic cars that are turned into Lowriders,, Chevy Impala's, any older pre 74 Chevy or GM product, Lincoln's, Grand Marquis.

Asian's (Korean, Chinese, Japanese): Taking trips into a heavily populated Asian communities in San Diego, I witnessed the similar kinds of people driving the same kind of cars. Nissan's are very popular, Infiniti's, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Kia's and Mercedes. I hardly saw an Asian person driving a domestic car.

Indian (India) = Nothing but Toyota's, Lexuses and Honda's, especially older models.

Middle Eastern/Eastern European immigrants: These particular people are in love with all Mercedes and BMW vehicles, even poor immigrants from Russia or Iraq will find a way to buy an older model BMW just so they look like they have money to impress Americans. Toyota Camry is another favorite, I don't ever see these people driving a domestic car at all, it's always a foreign make and model. I'm not sure why though, either it's because they were taught that American products are inferior compared to the Japanese brands, or they simply wont ever be caught dead or support driving an American vehicle due to their beliefs and hatred for America even though they come here and get all the support and money they need to live well from the US government. But these guys heavily favor foreign cars. Maybe the born and raised American Middle Easterners are different, but I know for sure the recent immigrants have different attitudes toward American cars.

Overall Toyota's are generally seen as reliable vehicles worldwide, even by foreign immigrants that come to the US from their homeland, so I see toyo's being driven by all races and ethnicities of people regardless of where they come from. Politics don't matter as much either, although older 65 years old+ White Conservative American's in California love the Camry for whatever reasons, mainly women.

Last edited by sdlife619; 10-13-2012 at 04:02 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Nearly every Romanian I've ever met is totally in love with Honda. Doesn't matter if it's new or if it's ten years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive