Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Its about like that here as well... except I would add Pontiacs as well for the black folks. Around here, they like Pontiacs, but I have seen them drive most all makes. I guess it depends on how many people of each race you have living in your area.

I have a Cadillac, Mercedes, Lincoln (90s models), Pontiac and Chevy Caprice (70s models) and I am white.
Where I live, I don't see many Blacks driving Pontiacs. I see mostly Whites driving Pontiacs, especially the Pontiac Vibe. In fact, this is what I see. The Cadillac often seems marketed towards Blacks. However, in real life, I can't think of any make of car particular to Blacks. I see a wide variety. One exception is pickup trucks. Most Black people I know don't drive pickup trucks.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where I live, I don't see many Blacks driving Pontiacs. I see mostly Whites driving Pontiacs, especially the Pontiac Vibe. In fact, this is what I see. The Cadillac often seems marketed towards Blacks. However, in real life, I can't think of any make of car particular to Blacks. I see a wide variety. One exception is pickup trucks. Most Black people I know don't drive pickup trucks.
Seems to me like Chrysler tries to market to black folks. Numerous commercials set in Detroit, hip hop/R&B background music, big flashy chrome wheels, etc. Some of their cars look like pimpmobiles right out of the factory.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
That's so stereotypical yet kinda of funny and partially true. I'm black and I don't like Chysler or Cadillics at all. But from the people I know, those who enbrace the thug life/wannabe be ballers like celebrities but with no nickels to rub together drive some kind of batmobile. Magnems, old Lincoln towncars and other grandma looking bat-mobiles just with chrome rimes.

But I think Magnems and Chargers are marketed towards black people especially black men and depending on the area many buy into it. I'm in Houston and the marketing is definitely working. You see a Magnum or Charger and 90% of the time it's a black guy driving.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 PM

107 posts, read 615,095 times
The marketing departments of big car companies could have specifics on that as they use scientific approach to research that type of information. Those who refer to their personal "observing" experience... just refer to their very specific personal experience, that's it.

And definitely ethnicity, just like any other big or small factor (culture, ethnic traditions, education, ideology, etc.) affects purchase behavior. Those who deny it (probably based on their political correctness agenda) are just wrong.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
That's so stereotypical yet kinda of funny and partially true. I'm black and I don't like Chysler or Cadillics at all. But from the people I know, those who enbrace the thug life/wannabe be ballers like celebrities but with no nickels to rub together drive some kind of batmobile. Magnems, old Lincoln towncars and other grandma looking bat-mobiles just with chrome rimes.

But I think Magnems and Chargers are marketed towards black people especially black men and depending on the area many buy into it. I'm in Houston and the marketing is definitely working. You see a Magnum or Charger and 90% of the time it's a black guy driving.
I'm black and i have to agree. Most of the chargers and 300c are driven by blacks. At least that's how it was when i lived in the Chicago area. Not so much here in New Mexico. But the one trend that i have seen across the country Is Whites and pick-up trucks. And a lot of them are jacked up so high that you need a ladder to get in. But out here, Hispanics are doing that to.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:34 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
The quintessential white trash car is the Pontiac Grand Am.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The quintessential white trash car is the Pontiac Grand Am.
That I did not know! I'm black and I had a 2-door Grand Am for seven years (until the manifold gasket blew) and my cousin had a Grand Prix! It was the car I replaced my 76 Ford LTD (my first car) with lol.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgix6 View Post
I'm black and i have to agree. Most of the chargers and 300c are driven by blacks. At least that's how it was when i lived in the Chicago area. Not so much here in New Mexico. But the one trend that i have seen across the country Is Whites and pick-up trucks. And a lot of them are jacked up so high that you need a ladder to get in. But out here, Hispanics are doing that to.
Yep. The same here all around. I was in Bath and Body Works Christmas shopping and the couple in front of me were holding up the line over their bill being $42. She went back and put some stuff back and the bill went down to like $25 and they were good. I checked out and when I got to my car I saw them backing out next to my car in a what.....? Chysler 300. So you want to act like you're balling and have money but are freaking out of $42 on Christmas gifts!?!?!

Apparently it's like a budget Rolls Royce Phantom and Bentley. Why is that car so desired by a lot of black guys? It's so rare and to see a non-black person driving one. No joke.

And not to be racists but a lot of Hispanic women tend to drive their men's 450+ pickups and I've never seen humans drive pickups SO horribly Get her a car!

But it's funny. Same kind of car in my eyes yet I don't ever see a black person in a Mustang or Corvette.

Last edited by DejaBlue; 12-28-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Apparently it's like a budget Rolls Royce Phantom and Bentley. Why is that car so desired by a lot of black guys? It's so rare and to see a non-black person driving one. No joke.
They are the victims of marketing, simple as that. And once one brother gets one, another wants one too... so on and so forth it continues. Sooner or later all the brothers have one. I'm white, I really do like the car for what it is; IMO it is sharp looking and I have a weakness for big, heavy rear wheel drive cars. For me though, I can enjoy them just through observation.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM

307 posts, read 685,227 times
Quote:
Yep. The same here all around. I was in Bath and Body Works Christmas shopping and the couple in front of me were holding up the line over their bill being $42. She went back and put some stuff back and the bill went down to like $25 and they were good. I checked out and when I got to my car I saw them backing out next to my car in a what.....? Chysler 300. So you want to act like you're balling and have money but are freaking out of $42 on Christmas gifts!?!?!

And not to be racists but a lot of Hispanic women tend to drive their men's 450+ pickups and I've never seen humans drive pickups SO horribly Get her a car!

But it's funny. Same kind of car in my eyes yet I don't ever see a black person in a Mustang or Corvette.
In Chicago, i saw a lot of blacks driving Corvettes and mustangs, more so than the Charger and 300c. But then again, i lived in the burbs. The city boys drive the Charger and 300c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive