Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,662 times

Advertisements

Here if you see a Toyota on the road doing 10-20km/h under the speed limit, it's an Indian or Asian without fail.

Infact, 99.99% of the time you encounter a Toyota, there is an Indian behind the wheel. It's easy to spot them as you slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending them while you're doing the speed limit

Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
Out here in California, where the Japanese have dominated the passenger car sales market for well over 25 years, folks of all ethnicities have been buying their products without fail, while a hefty percentage of the dwindling numbers of older Caucasians have stuck with the Detroit 3.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
Indians in US buy Toyota Camry and Toyota Corolla a lot. Only when they are unable to get a good deal on them, they will settle for Honda (Civic, Accord) or Hyundai (Sonata, Elantra). Interestingly, Toyota and Honda are not popular at all in India. Indian car market is dominated by Suzuki. Chevrolet and Ford sells more cars in India then Toyota or Honda.

Chinese in US are mostly in Nissan, Infiniti, Honda, Toyota, Kia etc. In China Buick, Opel, Chevrolet is very popular.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Growing up, I had a neighbor who owned nothing but Cadillacs.. he swore this was the best car ever built.
My parents are this way. And I'm white as can be.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
I guess that in Alaska, whites, blacks, hispanics, Natives, Asians, gays, straight, criminals and so on aren't normal like the rest of you. We drive all the vehicles you have mentioned, regardless of color or race. But there is something we have in common: most of our vehicles have cracked windshields

On the serious side in response to the OP: in my view vehicle preference has nothing to do with ethnicity, but more with things like one's finances and vehicle's quality reputation. If one has a lot of money and is not very thrifty, one buys whatever one wants. But if one is thrifty and short on funds, one buys the best deal for the money. Most immigrants tend to buy just what they need to take them to point a to pint b, and also the most economical and good quality ride.

If it were true that ethnicity had to do anything with automobile preference, then we were not joking about "sexuality and vehicle preference" such as the made-up word, "lesbaru" and the rest. Don't you think so?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
This thread is really interesting. fwiw, i asked my Indian (subcontinent) buddy last night what car he bought now that he's got a kid on the way. And he replied "Lexus, of course." He said it's THE NUMBER ONE brand for professional Indians.... not too flashy, but still upscale. And he jokingly said if he were Persian, he would've had to get a Mercedes.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 PM

216 posts, read 449,161 times
In Vancouver you will never see an asian driving any cars from the big three. They stick to the Japanese brands. I have seen exactly one asian male driving a pickup truck. Lots of them will drive the german cars as well. Most white people drive a vehicle from the big 3 however.
When I was in Calgary, most people of all types were driving pickup trucks. I think it depends more on area rather than person.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Seems to be that way. For one reason or another white folks seem to love Subaru's, Volvos, and pickup trucks. Blacks seem to love Cadillacs and the dogde/chrysler line of 300's and magnums. Jews seem to love mini vans and large luxury vehicles. Asians tend to stick with Japanese made vehicles. Latin people dont seem to have a specific type and will drive pretty much anything.

Your thoughts?
Cadillacs seem to be marketed to African-Americans in subtle ways. However, I've seen people of all ethnic groups drive different cars. My father is Black and over the last 25 years, he has driven: Pontiac, Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet, and Volvo. In fact, European cars are his favorite. I'm Black, and even though I don't own a car, my favorite cars are Japanese, specifically Nissans and Subarus. In fact, I don't know many people at all that drive Cadillacs.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Seems to be that way. For one reason or another white folks seem to love Subaru's, Volvos, and pickup trucks. Blacks seem to love Cadillacs and the dogde/chrysler line of 300's and magnums. Jews seem to love mini vans and large luxury vehicles. Asians tend to stick with Japanese made vehicles. Latin people dont seem to have a specific type and will drive pretty much anything.

Your thoughts?
Its about like that here as well... except I would add Pontiacs as well for the black folks. Around here, they like Pontiacs, but I have seen them drive most all makes. I guess it depends on how many people of each race you have living in your area.

I have a Cadillac, Mercedes, Lincoln (90s models), Pontiac and Chevy Caprice (70s models) and I am white.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Asians (Korean, Chinese, Japanese): Taking trips into a heavily populated Asian communities in San Diego, I witnessed the similar kinds of people driving the same kind of cars. Nissan's are very popular, Infiniti's, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Kia's and Mercedes. I hardly saw an Asian person driving a domestic car.
We dont have too many Asians in this area, but we have a few. I see most drive the Asian makes, but I also see about three different couples drive American cars. The most interesting is an older Japanese man and woman driving a late 80s Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan, I actually seen them today. They have owned it for years. Then I have also seen a Japanese couple drive a Chevy Trailblazer and another in some sort of Chevy, but cant remember. I also remember a little Asian couple driving a VW and a few years ago another couple in a late 80s Camry that I used to see all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive