Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,179,063 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly surprised at the cost of a lot of cars. I walked by a Ford truck that had a $50k plus sticker on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,927,935 times
Coldjensens' area in SE MI is definitely Ford country. It's entirely possible that the loss leader '12s are just long gone. It's also possible that since Ford is so popular in his part of SE MI, the dealers load them way up because people are willing to spend nearly $20K for a wind-up NAFTA-mobile.

(pause to look at several dealership sites)

Naah. The '12s are pretty much all gone. Even Varsity (huge place in Ann Arbor), Ricart (enormous place in Columbus), and Mullinax (that big one along the OH Turnpike near Cleveland) don't have many. What '12s I found are usually manuals anyway. The Fiesta S is a very hard to find model even as a '13. O'Brien in St. Clair Shores has one at the moment, though.

If you do end up looking at Sonics, at least you have GMS. My experiences with GM dealerships as a retail customer over the years (except when I bought my truck at Fox, and the salesman is still there) in SE MI have been so bad I will probably never again even consider a new GM, unless it's a GMS for all sale at the dealership. (Although, the Volt's lease rates are so low it's worth a look, even if I don't plan on ever plugging it in...)

Last edited by us66; 10-13-2012 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: because I wanted to

Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
Ford's pricing is crazy. The Fiesta is asembled in Mexico by people making less than $5.00 an hour....with an engine made in Brazil.

These cost savings should allow them to vastly undercut the competition on price. I would maybe consider taking a chance on a Fiesta if they were considerably cheaper than a Honda or Toyota. But if I have to pay Honda or Toyota prices....I'll just get the Toyota or Honda. I think Ford missed an opportunity here...

Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Ford's pricing is crazy. The Fiesta is asembled in Mexico by people making less than $5.00 an hour....with an engine made in Brazil.

These cost savings should allow them to vastly undercut the competition on price. I would maybe consider taking a chance on a Fiesta if they were considerably cheaper than a Honda or Toyota. But if I have to pay Honda or Toyota prices....I'll just get the Toyota or Honda. I think Ford missed an opportunity here...
Ditto. Only carmaker that even comes close to passing the savings onto the customer, IMHO, is Nissan with the Versa. The Sentra isn't particularly cheap, however. The Jetta and New New Beetle are also made down in NAFTAland and are reasonably priced in stripper form, but VW Mexico quality control is as bad as a bad GM plant, from what I've heard.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,309,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm honestly surprised at the cost of a lot of cars. I walked by a Ford truck that had a $50k plus sticker on it.
I agree! The other day I was on our local Ford lot and seen a '13 Ford Escape Titanium with a $35,000 sticker price! For an Escape! It was the top of the line with all options, but it was an Escape!! $35,000! So much for Fords smallest SUV. I had to chuckle. LOL. I went to Fords website and did a "build you own" of a top of the line 4wd Escape Titanium and with all of the options the sticker price was over $38,000 - for an Escape!!!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We went to the dealer. We asked himabout the 13,680 fiesta we built on line and he said that is not possible. Best they can do si 14,900 for a Fiesta S. They did nto have one. He suggested several SEs, then suggested we look at Focus instead. A Focus S ischeaper than a Fiesta SE and comes with almost the same options (excpet she cannot get the blue paint she wants grey white or black are the only options). After driving the Fiesta, I think she should get a Focus. Or maybe A Chevy. Even The Focus S is pretty expensive. The X plan is nothing - about $250 off. Whoo hoo!

We are going to go look at Chevy Sonic. We can get the employee discount through my dad. At least the GM discount used to be meaningful. Maybe that will help.

When we got home we also looked at Dart online - way too expensive.
Yeah, it looks like you can get a nicely equipped Sonic for less than an equally equipped Focus... and yes, the Dart is very $$$$$ to be Dodges smallest car... even the base model is over $15K and the price can easily reach $25K or so with all of the bells and whistles.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 AM

...and the funny thing is, Darts aren't supposed to have bells and whistles. When I think Dart, I think of one of the simplest cars of all time. Give my Dart manual windows and locks, 14" steel wheels, and half-vinyl seats and knock another $1000 off the price.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Yeah, the base Dart starts at $15,995, but after destination charge, its already up to around $16,800. The top of the line Limited trim starts at $19,995, then well over $20K after destination charge... add all of the optional bells and whistles to the top trim level model it goes to over $28,200 (on the Dodge build your own website).

Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM

$28K gets you a T&C or a 300, if you don't ask for too much luxury.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
$28K gets you a T&C or a 300, if you don't ask for too much luxury.
Absolutely. They had a 2012 Chrysler 300 (the base model, which was still very nice equipped) marked down to $25,900 about a month ago (sticker was around $29K). I would much rather have one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive