Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,216,891 times

Advertisements

If he is that smart and it appears he is I dont think spending that kind of money will be needed at this time. A factory certification is hard to beat.I am not trying to talk you out of paying for school but at his age why rush into a pre paid big money school contract when he hasn't even explored the private sector .Even colleges will allow a student to withdraw from school and not bill for classes not taken so my question is will this tech school do the same? If not so why not? that should be a big red flag to you. Like I said GENERAL MOTORS for one offers a free tech school along with an excellent hands on apprenticeship program. Even if he does go to some high buck tech school and get 20 certificates he will still enter the work force as an apprentice with apprentice pay.no matter who he goes to work for..I dare say the instructors at the factory schools know just as much and teach just as well as the ones in private schools. I bet many of those teachers are also factory trained.

Last edited by crestliner; 10-18-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,979,403 times
He wants to go into high performance mechanicing (I invented a new word).

On thing tough for him about the tech schools is they do not have a crew team. He may choose the college path just for crew. However he is pretty excited about UNO. They did a presentation for his class and they must be pretty good at sales.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,216,891 times
Another reason I would not want to commit to classes far in advance is because of the changing technology. The class you sign up for (and pay for) may be out of date before you even attend.If a tech school cant operate like a real college I would beware..Does this school have a name? IT should and then you can research it for complaints......Why wouldnt you give the name yet ask for info about it?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,843,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Wyotech is another big one.
Thats the one. Wyotech will get you on spike tv.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,665,179 times
I would be wary....

They are "for profit" tech schools I knew a few people that went through them and they had some good advice.

A few like top 3% went through and got great jobs. A lot of the rest barely were able to get jobs changing oil. In fact a lot of places would not hire a lot of people that went through the programs.

I was setting up to join a GM program through a community college. It wasn't free but normal community college money.

By the time I made decisions found out I was about 2 weeks past the deadline and would have to wait a year.

In the meantime I looked into other things and became an aircraft tech(BTW still stems into automotive) and make good money and great benefits.

Check the education part of the board they have some advice on this too.

Whatever your kid does, he has to realize unless he wants to be broke, he needs to find something he likes to do, willing to bust his ass on, and have it be a viable career.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,477,061 times
Wow.....I have no idea about other schools, but I do know, with UTI, my son, and the group of guys/gals that he was friends with, all went on to very lucrative automotive jobs. UTI also helped place them and gave written recomendations.

ps...I guess I should add, don't know where the others stood in rank, but my son was ranked #2 in his class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive