Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,536,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Your opinion is just that. Many thousands of car care pros and experienced hobbyists disagree with you. I don't consider my opinion to be worth a lot in this case because I realize that trying a few waxes on different cars is not a useful data set. But I do recognize that there isn't and never will be a "best" wax for everyone.

Agreed....Ask 20 different people their opinion and you'll get 20 different answers. We've tried many waxes ( cheaper AND more expensive) and we always end up going back to Zaino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,679,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Try Meguiers NXT 2.0. I like it better then the gold class. I use both
Zaino is one of the best....

But for off the shelf stuff...

Nxt paste for me.

Also with cars, towels are key, you want made in USA 100% real cotton, no fabric softeners or anything on them, the less you touch your paint the better. Harsh towels and tools leave tiny marks.

Also wash the car down with dawn dish soap about once a year, claybar it and maybe even hit it with a buffer(be careful) to make the car look good.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,536,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Zaino is one of the best....

But for off the shelf stuff...

Nxt paste for me.

Also with cars, towels are key, you want made in USA 100% real cotton, no fabric softeners or anything on them, the less you touch your paint the better. Harsh towels and tools leave tiny marks.

Also wash the car down with dawn dish soap about once a year, claybar it and maybe even hit it with a buffer(be careful) to make the car look good.

Great post! We also only use micro-fiber towels...heaven forbid they touch the ground....into the wash they go. NO fabric softener unless you want the wrath of my DH upon you!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,509,659 times
Quote:
Try Meguiers NXT 2.0. I like it better then the gold class. I use both
+1 NXT is awesome.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM

219 posts, read 659,956 times
For paste wax I'm just an original Turtle Wax kinda guy. It's funny, on all the car forums I've ever been on, no one ever seems to give Turtle Wax the time of day, I dunno if it's detailing snobbery or what but I've never had any problems with good ole Turtle Wax super hard shell paste wax.

People always say "oooo two good rain showers and it's all off *grumble grumble*" *Shrugs* not for me, I have an ungaraged Western NY car and it would keep beading and shining for months. I'd just give it a new coat seasonally.

That being said..........

I'd done with paste waxes. I'm 100 percent synthetic sealant now. Find a brand you like, buy a gallon jug of it off amazon, it'll will last you darn near the life of the car. Put it on section by section, let sit for 20 min, rub it off. That easy, no crappy white residue or anything getting jammed in your car's badging. Will bead water beautifully for like a year, but I still give it a good coating twice a year.

It does give a different shine than the wax though. More of a bright sparkle instead of a dark glow.

Depends on so many different things though. This is just one of those questions you really can't ask on a forum. Everyone has different preferences. It's like "best oil and filer?" talk about opening up Pandora's box =p

Cheers.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,627,222 times
I used old fashion turtle wax paste, it went on and off easily and really beaded the water.

Only thing was the beads drastically cut down after only about a month.

My current regime is simple, gold class paste 2 times a year with clay bar.

Hand wash (try to) once a month with an automated wash whenever it gets too dirty for me. Usually every fuel fill or every other depending on rain or no rain etc.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Just to warn guys, along with automated washes as well.

You guys have seen common "swirling" its most noticeable on black cars. Its not much just light scratches but its part of making a car lose its luster. Yes most waxes will fill these in for a brief time but they will fall out. Automated "touch" washes do swirl the paint, along with alot of the brushes at washes at do it yourself washes. If you do those, I would just stick to spray it, scrub with your own sponge by hand, then spray again. This along with using crappy towels/plastic brushes, is what makes paint jobs look crappy.

I just want to point out, dawn dish soap like I recomended removes alot off the paint, including most of the previous wax, in fact some say it affects the clearcoat as well, so use it very rarely.

If you want to get super anal... should use two buckets, one to dip clean sponge in, and one to dip the dirty sponge in.

Also goof paint, with good wax on it... looks good longer without needing to be washed every week.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM

8,661 posts, read 11,107,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
For paste wax I'm just an original Turtle Wax kinda guy. It's funny, on all the car forums I've ever been on, no one ever seems to give Turtle Wax the time of day, I dunno if it's detailing snobbery or what but I've never had any problems with good ole Turtle Wax super hard shell paste wax.

People always say "oooo two good rain showers and it's all off *grumble grumble*" *Shrugs* not for me, I have an ungaraged Western NY car and it would keep beading and shining for months. I'd just give it a new coat seasonally.

That being said..........

I'd done with paste waxes. I'm 100 percent synthetic sealant now. Find a brand you like, buy a gallon jug of it off amazon, it'll will last you darn near the life of the car. Put it on section by section, let sit for 20 min, rub it off. That easy, no crappy white residue or anything getting jammed in your car's badging. Will bead water beautifully for like a year, but I still give it a good coating twice a year.

It does give a different shine than the wax though. More of a bright sparkle instead of a dark glow.

Depends on so many different things though. This is just one of those questions you really can't ask on a forum. Everyone has different preferences. It's like "best oil and filer?" talk about opening up Pandora's box =p

Cheers.

See my other post in this thread.
I think it is on page 2
Bob.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,948,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
+1 NXT is awesome.
Exactly. Meguires could bottle it in a fancy container, call it a fancy name and go onto all the car forums and claim its the best and could get $50 a bottle easy for it.. Its better then Zanio.. I say it again. Zanio is for people with more $$ then brains I've been showing cars since the mid 70's and have owned over a dozen show cars so I have plenty of experience.. I can afford any wax.. I have even tried the old Zymol carbon wax (before it was bought by Turtle wax) that was something like $75 15 years ago and it is not as good as the NXT.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Meguires could bottle it in a fancy container, call it a fancy name and go onto all the car forums and claim its the best and could get $50 a bottle easy for it.. Its better then Zanio.. I say it again. Zanio is for people with more $$ then brains I've been showing cars since the mid 70's and have owned over a dozen show cars so I have plenty of experience.. I can afford any wax.. I have even tried the old Zymol carbon wax (before it was bought by Turtle wax) that was something like $75 15 years ago and it is not as good as the NXT.
The key with zaino, is its durability, its lightyears better then most any other wax, since its a synthetic sealer.

I used to go to weekly car meets and just hose off(not dry) my car(most have experienced the zaino splash.... Where at a certain speed all the water beads and flies off the hood and hits the windshield like a bucket of water at once) drive to a gas station, pic up a mountain dew, and dress my tires and roll in and people were shocked I fully detailed my car like car show ready every week. I actually "detailed and waxed" it about every 2 months. I have messed with numerous products, by far zaino was the best. I do admit the other high end stuff like poorboys and the like and similar types, we have argued at car meets, that I chalk it up to the what is faster...

The Camaro or Mustang, style arguments(well we know the Camaro is better )

There will be no definitve answer.

But off the shelf products.... Zaino dominantes them all.

All that said nxt gives a great shine and I use it as I haven't gone that far into detailing in awhile. The convienence and cost of daily driving car works great for me as I am sure it will for others.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive