Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So you're saying that all the brands that claim to have things in their gas that other brands do not are lying? All those TV ads that say "Buy our gas. We have superduperclean in it" are false?
As far as the bolded part goes, YES, they are "lying", all gas has cleaners in it, they just call it different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
The manufacturers add their own special ingredients to provide additional benefits. A quality gasoline additive package would include:-

octane-enhancing additives ( improve octane ratings )

anti-oxidants ( inhibit gum formation, improve stability )

metal deactivators ( inhibit gum formation, improve stability )

deposit modifiers ( reduce deposits, spark-plug fouling and preignition )

surfactants ( prevent icing, improve vaporisation, inhibit deposits, reduce NOx emissions )

freezing point depressants ( prevent icing )

corrosion inhibitors ( prevent gasoline corroding storage tanks )

dyes ( product colour for safety or regulatory purposes ).

Gasoline manufacturers now routinely use additives that prevent IVD and also maintain the cleanliness of injectors. These usually include a surfactant and light oil to maintain the wetting of important surfaces.

Texaco demonstrated that a well-formulated package could improve fuel economy, reduce NOx emissions, and restore engine performance because, as well as the traditional liquid-phase deposit removal, some additives can work in the vapour phase to remove existing engine deposits without adversely affecting performance ( as happens when water is poured into a running engine to remove carbon deposits:-) Most suppliers of quality gasolines will formulate similar additives into their products, and cheaper lines are less like to have such additives added. As different brands use different additives and oxygenates, it is probable that important parameters, such as octane distribution, are different, even though the pump octane ratings are the same.
So, if you know your car is well-tuned, and in good condition, but the driveability is pathetic on the correct octane, try another brand. Remember that the composition will change with the season, so if you lose driveability, try yet another brand. As various Clean Air Act changes are introduced over the next few years, gasoline will continue to change.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
That must be some expensive gas, and a expensive car
Nah, look at the location. Well, okay, it's definitely expensive gas. But the numbers are different in Europe.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Owners manual says the engine was designed to run on regular gas,
OK i'll run it on the gas it was designed for..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
98, unless unless I want to make a 1-hour trip to refill, as 95 is blended with 10% ethanol in my area. Picky car wouldn't like it.
I don't think they sell 98 octane gas here, normal high-octane is 93, I've seen 94, maybe 95 in a few stations. My car is supposed to have 91.

Your gas mileage is probably higher than mine, so the extra cost cancels out. What gas mileage (or L/km) does your car normally give?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Nah, look at the location. Well, okay, it's definitely expensive gas. But the numbers are different in Europe.
Octane numbers are different than in the US. At 98 Octane by US standards your MPG would drop dramatically. There may be some racing engines that requrie Octane that high.

Aside from raccing engines and the motorcycle someone mentioned earlier in this post. I have never heard of any car that requries higher than 91 octane. I have never understood what some statoins sell 93 or even 96 Octane. What is it for? It must just be an appeal to those who think Octane realted to power or better engine cleaning. I did one meet a guy who said he runs a tankful of high octane through his car once in a while to "clean the engine out" Actually it does the opposite. High octane fuel has more ethanol. Ethanol turns to varnish. It is more likely to gunk up your engine than lower octane fuel.

Lucky for gas staitions most people do not understand that higher octane is ony for the very few cars that actaully require high octane fuel. Because of the common imisunderstanding, many many people buy it thinking they will get better gas mileage (wrong - worse MPG), more power, or a cleaner burn. It does none of those things and the oopsie of some. Simply put higher octane gas is required for high performance engines that have a high compression ratio. It will nto make a regaulr car perform better in any way.

One thing that is interesting is Mazda's "skyactive" engine is high compression but runs on low octane gasoline or so I hear. I am curious as to how that is done without making the mixture super rich.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think they sell 98 octane gas here, normal high-octane is 93, I've seen 94, maybe 95 in a few stations. My car is supposed to have 91.

Your gas mileage is probably higher than mine, so the extra cost cancels out. What gas mileage (or L/km) does your car normally give?
98 Octane gas sold in France would be listed as 93-94 in the US, the usual "premium" here.
95 Octane gas sold in France would be listed as 90-91 in the US, what my car wants but they don't sell it.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RON is the European numbers. AKI the North American ones.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
90-91 in the US, what my car wants but they don't sell it.

The do nto sell 91 octane in Massachussetts? Here (Michigan) that is pretty much all they sell, a few offer 93 or 96, but most offer 87, 89, and 91. Does it differ from State to state?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The do nto sell 91 octane in Massachussetts? Here (Michigan) that is pretty much all they sell, a few offer 93 or 96, but most offer 87, 89, and 91. Does it differ from State to state?
The usual is 87, 89, and 93. I see 91 occasionally. I think it's the same in CT and NY, and possibly VT & NH. Not sure though.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 56,749 times
I use 87..As for brand...we have very few "brand name" gas stations in my area. The only one I can think of that I use is Hess. We have one Shell and one Exxon in town (30,000 pop) and they are usually 5-10 cents higher then Turkey Hill/Sheetz/Rutters of which there are several of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive