Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times

Advertisements

Are you wanting to drive it down a wooded trail? They will inspect it when you turn it in, if there's lots of scratches on it you could get charged for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
interesting ,every credit card will not cover you if you go off road as they typically extend coverage to a rental.

in fact visa and master card wont cover accidents on gravel roads and master card extends that to roads not maintained full time.

2012 Credit Card Auto Rental Insurance Study

Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,720,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Please re-read my post. A standard car rental place doesn't have Jeep, Audi, Subaru or BMW's available and you end up paying high dollars. I didn't say that ALL awd systems were that way or even MANY awd systems were that way. I said, there are some and those you specified are the some.
I rented a Grand Cherokee before I bought one from Enterprise. It wasn't hard and it wasn't by request. I was given the option of a GC at Avis in Kansas as well. Call around, ask what they have. If you want a Jeep, they can probably get you one from another location if they don't have one there.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,675,645 times
I would expect this to be common at all companies but I know it's true at Hertz:

If you rent an actual SUV class vehicle they do specify AWD/4WD. Most of what they get these days are AWD crossover-type vehicles, but even within that there are varying degrees of capability, and things like Grand Cherokees are a possibility although would be luck of the draw probably in the Standard SUV class. (Sometimes they do have 2WD variants in the fleet, but they will not rent these as the SUV class but instead a regular car classification like full size.)

To a certain degree this is moot though as technically you are not supposed to take the vehicle off road as per the rental agreement. A gravel public road is a sort of a gray area. I've certainly driven rentals on such roads before with no trouble (with a regular car even), but sometimes the rental agreement states it as "unpaved road" which of course depends upon your definition of paved. One could argue that it is paved with gravel if that is the case. But if it doesn't actually have any paving at all then you would be in the wrong. Basically, don't damage it or get it stuck out there because you'll be in violation of your rental agreement most likely.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,601,551 times
I used to fly out to Las Vegas then rent a 4wd because a tv and fm transmitter was on a mountaintop acccessible only by a very tricky dirt road often snowed in. I would go through the SUV inventory with a flashlight, check the axles then read the manual to select a 4wd vehicle.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,830 times
Most of the SUVs in a rental fleet are two wheel drive. Even if the renter purchases the Loss Damage Waiver, it will not cover any damage if the vehicle is taken off road. During hunting season in South Texas, renters would take the additional coverage only to learn that off road use would violate the rental agreement and void the coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive