Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Let's say you're looking for an address in an unfamiliar area, and suddenly you realize you have to turn right, but you are only 80 feet from the intersection, instead of the 100 feet required by law to start signaling your turn. Your black box detects it, and there are no cars in sight anywhere, but a $50 dollar fine for failing to signal properly is immediately deducted from your bank account. But that could never happen to you, so you have nothing to worry about. Justifiable use of law enforcement technology, at last making our streets safe.

How would like a technology in which every citizen is implanted with a lie detector, with an indicator on their forehead, which beeps and flashes every time you tell a lie? Would you consider that to be an invasion of privacy? Where are the defenders, to say "People who never lie have nothing to worry about."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. These black box devices absolutely do not have the ability to track where you go. However the police do have other technology that can do that. Such as automatic license plate recognition cameras. Seems to me if you are concerned about privacy, you should be more concerned about stuff like that.

2. Yes, these black boxes can tell how fast you were driving at the time of an accident. Police radar guns can also do the same thing. Why are you not concerned about those?
Share a link with us, detailing what they do, how they work, where they are located in the car, how they can be defeated, etc. If the black boxes in my car are less invasive to my privacy than other things already in use. So where have the courts or the legislatures drawn that line beyond which technology cannot go, and are you comfortable letting the police and commercial users decide where that line is?

Last edited by jtur88; 12-10-2012 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
It's kind of interesting to me that the guys who are screaming about these black boxes being invasion of privacy are doing so on the internet.

Perhaps you should be aware that, with literally every word you type, you are giving out all kinds of personal information. Every Google search you do will bring target advertising to your computer. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If your'e so worried about the invasion of your privacy, you should not be on the internet.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM

387 posts, read 680,627 times
Everyone here who says if you aren't doing somthing wrong than what are you afraid of don't get the point. You are the people who are more like sheep that need being told what to do & when to do it because you have no real direction in your lives. You want to be ruled.

This is just one more bit of freedom the goverment is taking away. The goverment continues to take a little bit at a time from each & everyone of us. The day the patriot act was rushed into place with little opposition was the day this country truly stoped being the land of free. The terriorst won, & they gess what. They aren't the arabs. They were our own elected officals. We all drank the kool-aid, myself inculded. Now it's almost too late to do anything about it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
I am getting the corrected picture now. This black box is IN Addition to OBD II, which already does that, but now the info can be collected by both the state and the Ins Co which is probably the FEDS.

That will be paid for by the car owner....... I suppose these will be mandatory too, but like anything else for the right price you can buy another modual that will lie to the black box too. This is great... for geeks.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Share a link with us, detailing what they do, how they work, where they are located in the car, how they can be defeated, etc. If the black boxes in my car are less invasive to my privacy than other things already in use. So where have the courts or the legislatures drawn that line beyond which technology cannot go, and are you comfortable letting the police and commercial users decide where that line is?
The NHTSA says that by September 2014 all car and light trucks will be equipped with EDRs that will silently “record the actions of drivers and the responses of their vehicles in a continuous information loop.â€

The information recorded by EDRs includes:

• vehicle speed
• whether the brake was activated in the moments before a crash
• crash forces at the moment of impact
• information about the state of the engine throttle
• air bag deployment timing and air bag readiness prior to the crash
• whether the vehicle occupant’s seat belt was buckled

The NHTSA claims that “EDRs do not collect any personal identifying information or record conversations and do not run continuously.â€

Obama Gives OK For Black Box Data Recorders to Be Installed in All Cars

Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM

38 posts, read 61,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Everyone here who says if you aren't doing somthing wrong than what are you afraid of don't get the point. You are the people who are more like sheep that need being told what to do & when to do it because you have no real direction in your lives. You want to be ruled.

This is just one more bit of freedom the goverment is taking away. The goverment continues to take a little bit at a time from each & everyone of us. The day the patriot act was rushed into place with little opposition was the day this country truly stoped being the land of free. The terriorst won, & they gess what. They aren't the arabs. They were our own elected officals. We all drank the kool-aid, myself inculded. Now it's almost too late to do anything about it.
this

Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I am not a sheep. I am a responsible driver. If / when I get involved in a collision, it's not going to be my fault. I want as much evidence available as possible to prove that. I'm very confident that if someday I'm driving a car equipped with an EDR that is involved in a collision, the data from the EDR will show that I was driving responsibly and did everything humanly possible to avoid the incident.

I fail to see why any decent driver would not want one of these in their car.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
This is the kind of attitude that allows the government to erode our right to privacy bit by bit. Wonder when people are going to wise up and say "enough". Yes, everytime I am on the internet, get a phone call, drive or walk in a city that has street cams, I am giving out information. I don't like it, but what can one person do? Only when enough people understand the ramifications of this kind of invasion and let the government know how they feel will it stop. The framers of the constitution and bill of rights understood that to have freedom you must accept a measure of responsibility. Now the attitude seems to be to let the government do what they want as long as they do not step on your toes. Got news for you, when you insist on others giving up rights they do not want to, it puts your own rights in jeopardy.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Of course you're a responsible driver. Everybody's a responsible driver because they say so.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

. . . in a continuous information loop. . . . The NHTSA claims that “EDRs do not collect any personal identifying information or record conversations and do not run continuously.
Anybody else see a contradiction here?

What do they do, just switch on when there is going to be an accident? Instead of recording data, why don't they warn the driver that he is going to be in a crash that day, so he can stay home?

How much arbitrary dictatorial power does NHTSA have, and who sets the boundaries of their authority? The sole purpose of the EDR is to collect data -- by itself, EDS has no effect on the safety of the operation of any vehicle. Can a citizen of the USA be compelled to gather data or make it accessible, absent a warrant or court order or constitutional provision relating to that particular form of data (e.g., XVI Amendment, income taxes)? Once we cross that line, where is the new boundary? That is the crux of the privacy question.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-11-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive