Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its not the type of car imho,even thought the big Suv's do seem to have idiot drivers who like to act like they don't see smaller cars on the road.
In some of those cases it may not be acting. Some of the new SUV's have got horrible visibility, which is ironic given that people buy them so they can sit high up and theoretically see better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
So much for a pony car which are supposed to be compact and the Mustang clearly isn't.
The Mustang is often considered the only pony car because it was the reason for the name (Mustang = Pony). My '06 GT is within a couple lbs and a couple inches or so of being identical in size to my '70 BOSS 302. (108" wheelbase, 184" overall length, 72" overall width for the '69-70, 107" wheelbase, 187" length, 74" overall width for the '05-09)

Like most new cars, the Mustang has gotten heavier due to safety and NVH requirements, but it's physically barely changed in size at all over the years. They've become much better at the job of being cars than the classics were, but they haven't lost the feel or the emotion of the originals.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I only have two, and it's pretty across the board:

1. Anyone in a pickup truck, but especially men under 40.

Ugh.

I forgot about this. Any pickup truck that says 4x4 or AWD at the back - they think they are beyond everything. And then I drive a few miles and see an accident

Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The Mustang is often considered the only pony car because it was the reason for the name (Mustang = Pony). My '06 GT is within a couple lbs and a couple inches or so of being identical in size to my '70 BOSS 302. (108" wheelbase, 184" overall length, 72" overall width for the '69-70, 107" wheelbase, 187" length, 74" overall width for the '05-09)

Like most new cars, the Mustang has gotten heavier due to safety and NVH requirements, but it's physically barely changed in size at all over the years. They've become much better at the job of being cars than the classics were, but they haven't lost the feel or the emotion of the originals.
You think I care? You know it was more than obvious why it's called the pony car. Any more obvious things you would like to enlighten the audience with?

Excuse me but the bold isn't correct. Fox body anyone? 94-98 Mustang anyone? It has changed dramatically over the years and they went back to the faux classic look as a ploy to create nostalgia and boost sales. It worked and Camaro has had success as well doing the same thing (but to be fair it didn't need it as the hype and anticipation meant it would sell). This whole retro thing is the ugliest one of the lot in my opinion. If wanted a car that looked like a classic then I would get a classic. This opinion also applies to the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

The Mustang has a bad reputation and is a car not liked by many people compared to the other pony cars and it's well deserved however as the Mustang has never gone on hiatus. There are more of them out there and more of them to be owned by idiots and driven like mad machines. Then also considered how everyone and their grandmother owns one then it doesn't seem as impressive (to me at least). I also prefer cars that have an independent rear suspension. A solid rear axle is like me trying to walk around while having my strings from both my shoes tied together. The engines are impressive (2011-present) and I'm sure they get on well but it hasn't evolved enough to deserve my money yet.

This is just my opinion and I know it's not going to stop people from buying Mustangs nor do I care. I'm just happy that I don't have one. The Mustang lost again last year in sales to the Camaro. I believe this is the third straight year. Come on Ford, stop the bleeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Funny thing is that my car, the Infiniti G35 Sedan, has yet to be mentioned while I've seen dozens of Mustang, SUV, Pickup Truck and Prius mentions. Guess that means there's SOMETHING to this madness...
The G Series is pretty normal on the roads and I haven't had any issues with someone driving on those roads. Well once because he was cruising on the left and I kept blinking for him to move. Then he did and let me go by then he tried to tailgate me but I left him in my car though. Now the Nissan Z Series, those owners/drivers are absolute wankers.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Too many times I see someone speeding, doing rapid lane changes, not signaling or tailgating and they are behind the wheel of Prius.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The majority of low-rent (read VW) drivers who drive aggressively and fast all the time because they are insecure and feel they have something to prove because they aren't behind the wheel of a BMW or Benz.
100% agree and thought it was just me, definitely #1 on my list.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Too many times I see someone speeding, doing rapid lane changes, not signaling or tailgating and they are behind the wheel of Prius.
Really? Because the majority of Prius drivers in San Diego I've encountered are actually the idiots who do everything slowly. They drive 60 in the fast lane, they spend 5 minutes making a right turn, they drift from lane to lane...they generally drive as if they are too busy doing something else.

Funny how we can both think that Prius drivers are the worst offenders but for totally opposite reasons.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You think I care? You know it was more than obvious why it's called the pony car. Any more obvious things you would like to enlighten the audience with?

This is just my opinion and I know it's not going to stop people from buying Mustangs nor do I care. I'm just appy that I don't have one. The Mustang lost again last year in sales to the Camaro. I believe this is the third straight year. Come on Ford, stop the bleeding.
Would you happen to be related to someone on Edmunds called "uplanderguy?"

Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
-When I'm out on my bike, I specifically look for and avoid any new, entry-level luxury car (Mercedes C250, Audi A4 2.0, BMW 325i). It seems as though many of their drivers are mid-to-late 20's/early-30's folks who have entry-level professional jobs that are extremely stressful and competetive, and their M.O. once they leave the office is to take out their aggression on some pleb they perceive as being "lower" than them.

Since I'm on a bike, I am an obvious target. These are the people who will purposely try to pull towards the right when they get alongside or in front of you and make you hit the curb, who see you in their mirror and purposely come to a full stop when making a right rather than just taking it, all the while looking in their rearview at you in the hopes that you'll have to come to a stop, curb your bike, or hit them and give them an excuse to come out and yell at you

- Priuses tend to drive annoyingly slow, but don't specifically do anything bad when I'm in my car. However... same deal, when I'm on my bike, they seem to be one of the more consistently aggressive vehicles I encounter. They exhibit behavior similar to entry-level luxury sedans, albiet more passive aggressive than outright aggressive - they're more apt to hang even with me and sloooooowly inch over to try to run me into a truck than they are to fly up alongside me and then brake-check me.

Must be some sort of green living/carbon footprint peepee match.

- Beat-up 1st gen Miatas. Around here, most of them have been bought up by young racing nerds who think that they're the most perfect vehicle ever created. They usually have horrifically-scuffed up and dented bumpers that have been rattle-canned over a few times and then hit some more, don't have the plastic in the back window, and have a hole in the exhaust. They throttle the living hell out of that 115-horse 1.6l and zip between cars like they're Maverick in Top Gun, in the danger zone (OH YEAH!!). They think every vehicle is either an obstacle, or is trying to race them, and act accordingly.
Spot on. I drive an A4 but I'm super cognizant of my driving because I feel like the driving in LA is horrible.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I would say:

-Anyone driving a Prius or similar car, get off the road!
-Any idiot with a lift kit on his truck....really?
-The young kid with a beamer(probably his/her parents) who thinks they run the road.
-The old guy in the Corvette or similar who drives slower then everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive