Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,905 times

Advertisements

Middle-aged single women in Subarus plastered with smug liberal stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'll let you know when I want a rude reply.
In the meantime, try using some manners.
If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. You replied to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. You replied to me.
Why have the heat in the first place? Are you capable of having a polite discussion? Many others can. Besides, rude replies are against the TOS.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Many people say that. That is why the Lincoln Town Car is Ford's best-kept secret.

Wow, you sure like to torture yourself, don't you?
I would rather own one Lincoln Town Car than 10 of those "things" you mentioned above.
My daughter bought a 1992 Lincoln town Car last year (maybe it was the year before, she had had it a long time.) for $2300. It had a rebuilt transmission. i figured it woudl be trouble. Since then I have learned:

1. It was the safest car made in 1992.

2. The gas mileage is not as bad as you would think (16-18/25-26).

3. It is perfect for a college student. When they go on road trips they always ask her to drive. It can hold 6 very comfortably and all the baggage and other stuff you can come up with will fit into the trunk (and still have room to stuff in a cow).

4. They are supposedly very reliable. Hers had proven to be so. Her brother did a brake job for her and I think rebuilt the front calipers. Otherwise, just oil changes. She drives 40 plus miles a day plus some long road trips.

5. It is heavy. I am not sure how heavy, but I can see my snap on (or are they Matco?) heavy duty jack stands flex when we let it down onto them. That thing must weigh more than our full sized van.

6. A very comfortable ride, if you like the bouncy luxury ride.

7. Nice simple design. Easy to work on. Tried and true reliable motor (4.6), but not the best transmission.

Anyway to bring this back on topic, she might make some people's list of dangerous drivers. She is tiny and in that gargantuan beast can barely see over the dash. When she got it, she was not the best driver, but she is quite good now.

Anyone want to add tiny college co-ed driving a limousine so big she can barely see out?

She calls it "Abe" (Abe Lincoln) I call it BUC (Big ugly Car). Still it has turned out to be a great purchase.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Middle-aged single women in Subarus plastered with smug liberal stickers.
... and her adversary, the middle-aged mom in a gargantuan SUV plastered with blustery and unfunny GOP/tea party stickers.

I think that generally speaking, most people who are that overboard on political issues are so busy reading bias into everything - like, people merging into their lanes, how people react to cross-traffic or yellow lights - that they don't pay enough attention to actually driving.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
The Santa Barbara Top 5 List:

1. Range Rover/Escalade Soccer Mom - Late for her Botox appointment, on her I-Phone, 3 kids in the back with I-pods to their ears. Runs red lights, doesn't even slow down at stop lights, parks in the handicap zone if she can't find a closer parking space to Norstroms.

2. BMW Babes - Young 'ladies' age 17 to 24. Daddy bought them a 3 Series BMW. They never pay attention to speed limits, stop signs or laws in general. They will park on the curb to get into Saks for a sale. Even in December, they are wearing a mini skirt so short the entire world could become their OB-GYN, coupled with their Ugg boots. They rack up about $400 in parking tickets. Luckily, they never check the oil or water, and tend to blow up these cars with less than 30,000 miles.

3. The Casa Dorinda/Valle Verde/Maravilla Retirement Residents - A plethora of aging Lincoln Town Cars, Cadillac DeVilles, Mercury Marquis, a few pristine Delta 88's and a Chrysler or two. Quite active from 3 to 5 pm, on their way to the Early Bird Special at The Treehouse, Denny's or Sizzler. Flawless old American cars meandering over the parkways and sidewalks at 12 mph. Flawless with the exception of the front and rear bumpers and the white walls and hubcaps.

4. The City College/UCSB Honda drivers - Slammed Civics and Accords, complete with 'murdered out' all black trim. Huge tail pipes, fiberglass hoods, rims that cost more than the car. Darting in and out of traffic on the 101 at 85 mph.

5. The newly arrived Los Angeles transplants - They don't understand the laid-back Santa Barbara lifestyle. BMW 7 series, Mercedes S or CLS class, a few Audi 8's and the occasional Bentley (all leased), driving 30 mph over posted speed limits, lane changes without turn signals, passing on residential streets, etc. The West LA New Money White Trash that invaded SB are not a welcome addition.
While this thread wins today's award for most amusing wacky thread drift, the post above wins for most amusing overall post. Congratulations, you get a dime, but you have to come pick it up in Detroit or wait a few weeks and come to Orange County for your dime.

The only thing missing from the drift of this thread is the people who always write about them what don't use their turn signals and those pesky fast lane drivers who go no more than 90.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... and her adversary, the middle-aged mom in a gargantuan SUV plastered with blustery and unfunny GOP/tea party stickers.

I think that generally speaking, most people who are that overboard on political issues are so busy reading bias into everything - like, people merging into their lanes, how people react to cross-traffic or yellow lights - that they don't pay enough attention to actually driving.
One modestly-placed Romney sticker on a Lexus RX does not scream overboard (unless you're that raging woman in the aforementioned Subaru). I would say the multiple anti-Obama stickered vehicles are usually driven by men in pickup trucks. But these don't really bother me as they aren't explicitly telling me what to do , unlike the woman in her Subaru telling me to 'coexist', 'love the earth', 'eat vegan', or 'vote democrat'.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My daughter bought a 1992 Lincoln town Car last year (maybe it was the year before, she had had it a long time.) for $2300. It had a rebuilt transmission. i figured it woudl be trouble. Since then I have learned:

1. It was the safest car made in 1992.

2. The gas mileage is not as bad as you would think (16-18/25-26).

3. It is perfect for a college student. When they go on road trips they always ask her to drive. It can hold 6 very comfortably and all the baggage and other stuff you can come up with will fit into the trunk (and still have room to stuff in a cow).

4. They are supposedly very reliable. Hers had proven to be so. Her brother did a brake job for her and I think rebuilt the front calipers. Otherwise, just oil changes. She drives 40 plus miles a day plus some long road trips.

5. It is heavy. I am not sure how heavy, but I can see my snap on (or are they Matco?) heavy duty jack stands flex when we let it down onto them. That thing must weigh more than our full sized van.

6. A very comfortable ride, if you like the bouncy luxury ride.

7. Nice simple design. Easy to work on. Tried and true reliable motor (4.6), but not the best transmission.

Anyway to bring this back on topic, she might make some people's list of dangerous drivers. She is tiny and in that gargantuan beast can barely see over the dash. When she got it, she was not the best driver, but she is quite good now.

Anyone want to add tiny college co-ed driving a limousine so big she can barely see out?

She calls it "Abe" (Abe Lincoln) I call it BUC (Big ugly Car). Still it has turned out to be a great purchase.
A 1992 Lincoln Town Car... a good year for those. Yes, the engine is also very good. They are reliable, true.

I certainly wouldn't consider a '92 Lincoln ugly.
I would consider this ugly:

With a Lincoln Town Car, the ride should not be bouncy. It should be smooth.

My '95 Town Car weighs 4,010 lbs, which is actually less than my '66 Plymouth Fury with the 383-4 bbl engine (4,330 lbs).

Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Why have the heat in the first place? Are you capable of having a polite discussion? Many others can. Besides, rude replies are against the TOS.
I can have a polite discussion with people who I consider to be half decent people. My reply was rude? Here's a tissue.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times
Quote:
A huge amount of foreign cars are ugly, too. And class for class, performance of American cars is about the same, if not better, than foreign cars.
I would disagree strongly with that. Fords are OK, but GM is still working out issues. Chryslers are now foreign cars. They might be "the same" as Honda and Toyota, but frankly, they've fallen behind too.

Quote:
A 1992 Lincoln Town Car... a good year for those. Yes, the engine is also very good. They are reliable, true.

I certainly wouldn't consider a '92 Lincoln ugly.
I would consider this ugly:

Might look ugly but they drive SO nice. And they're much less ugly looking from the driver's seat. They're much MUCH less ugly looking when you've got the engine in boost, deep in the powerband, and are flinging it through turns, it just won't let go of the road. All kinds of fun.

How can you tell what year a Lincoln Town Car is? They hadn't really changed since the 70s, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive