Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,507 times

Advertisements

Let's get to road raging here. What are your biggest pet peeves when driving?

I drive a lot of miles, so I see a fair number of rude drivers, and they bug me. But by far it is the inattentive and indecisive drivers that make the top of my list.

For example:
I'm driving along the Interstate. There is a large gap in front of my car and a large gap behind my car. I come upon an on-ramp. There is one car coming down that ramp. This driver does not bother picking out a space to merge into; he or she doesn't even bother looking. I end up either having to speed up, slow down, or move over to avoid hitting this person, because he or she would otherwise be right beside my car at the merge point--in spite of the amount of space both in front and behind my car!

Or how about this one:
I'm approaching an intersection behind another car. This intersection has a yield sign, and it is plainly visible that nothing is coming in either direction. The car in front nevertheless comes to a complete stop at the yield sign in order to look both ways--never mind that you could see in both directions half a mile back! But of course, this type of driver never looks far enough ahead to know anyway. Too busy yakking on a cell phone, fiddling with the stereo, eating a Big Mac, or other such nonsense.

Then there are the timid, indecisive drivers. You really have to wonder if driving is their thing (I say not). They get to a stop sign and stop (as they should) and wait for traffic to pass (as they should). Finally, a gap appears that even two fully-loaded, 100,000 pound tractor-trailers could get into without causing any problems. Do they go? Of course not, there's someone coming behind that gap, they want to wait until nobody is coming at all, which on Route 1 in Maine, during tourist season, is never. These are the ones that also tend to stop on Interstate acceleration ramps, even when there is plenty of space to get in.

If I were give the choice between those two types of drivers, or having them all replaced with aggressive and rude drivers, I would take the latter any day. At least the aggressive and the rude are usually predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post

Or how about this one:
I'm approaching an intersection behind another car. This intersection has a yield sign, and it is plainly visible that nothing is coming in either direction. The car in front nevertheless comes to a complete stop at the yield sign in order to look both ways--never mind that you could see in both directions half a mile back! But of course, this type of driver never looks far enough ahead to know anyway. Too busy yakking on a cell phone, fiddling with the stereo, eating a Big Mac, or other such nonsense.
I watched an old lady do this one time...the turn lane she was in turned into its own lane on the road, so there's not even a yield sign...she stopped anyway. The dump truck behind her locked up its brakes so hard the rear end was hopping down the road, air horn blaring away. I thought for sure I was going to see someone die, the driver managed to stop it maybe an inch from her bumper. Got a look in her car as I drove by, I'm almost positive she pissed herself. It's entirely possible she shat herself too.

My biggest pet peeve is interstate drivers that are afraid to drive. Doing 20mph below the speed limit white knuckling it down the road or refusing to merge at highway speed. I'm sorry, but if traffic is moving at 65mph, you have no business trying to merge at 40. If your car can't make it up to that speed...don't drive on the damn interstate!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM

304 posts, read 1,019,500 times
Quote:

I drive a lot of miles, so I see a fair number of rude drivers, and they bug me. But by far it is the inattentive and indecisive drivers that make the top of my list.

For example:
I'm driving along the Interstate. There is a large gap in front of my car and a large gap behind my car. I come upon an on-ramp. There is one car coming down that ramp. This driver does not bother picking out a space to merge into; he or she doesn't even bother looking. I end up either having to speed up, slow down, or move over to avoid hitting this person, because he or she would otherwise be right beside my car at the merge point--in spite of the amount of space both in front and behind my car!

Or how about this one:

Then there are the timid, indecisive drivers. You really have to wonder if driving is their thing (I say not). They get to a stop sign and stop (as they should) and wait for traffic to pass (as they should). Finally, a gap appears that even two fully-loaded, 100,000 pound tractor-trailers could get into without causing any problems. Do they go? Of course not, there's someone coming behind that gap, they want to wait until nobody is coming at all, which on Route 1 in Maine, during tourist season, is never. These are the ones that also tend to stop on Interstate acceleration ramps, even when there is plenty of space to get in.

If I were give the choice between those two types of drivers, or having them all replaced with aggressive and rude drivers, I would take the latter any day. At least the aggressive and the rude are usually predictable.
Totally am with ya on these! I hate oblivious mergers and the yield "stoppers" do this all the time on the highway exit from my nearby mall, these people are serious hazards.

While not quite as dangerous, I'll add that I hate it when I'm in the outside lane of two turn lanes and the car on the inside just drifts into my lane as if I never existed, running me off the road!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times
Slow people, people who are on the phone and slow (some can be on the phone and drive normally), anybody doing makeup while driving, well, just about any distracted driving, people who brake check, people who stop on a highway on ramp because the fear merging, people who back up on a highway because they missed their exit, speed limit drivers in the the fast lane...

oh, the list can go on. I drive a lot, I see that the vast majority of people are not in tune with driving anymore. Its sad.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
People who rive late at night. Where could so many people possibly be going that late at night? If I am going somewhere late at night I expect there to be no one in my way. Please accommodate my expectations. Stay off the freeway unless you really have a necessity to go somewhere.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Where do I start

Merge onto a highway, get into right lane and immediately signal and begin to move to the middle lane when traffic in that lane is going 20MPH faster.

Driving down a single lane road. Nobody in front, nobody behind you. Car pulls up from a side street, hesitates and then floors it to turn in front of you.......and then immediately slams on the brakes and puts the left turn signal on. Worst offenders are when there is traffic in the opposite direction and you need to slam on your brakes to a complete stop

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
My pet peeve is people who do not recognize their own rage/annoyance as a wake-up call that they are themselves heedless to the fact that drivers come with a wide range of skills and attitudes, and all their foibles need to be accommodated in the big traffic picture.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,481,251 times
or the ones that stop and hold up traffic to let the left hand turn people out of the side streets. This happens nearly every day on our lil 2 lane 55mph highways.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People who rive late at night. Where could so many people possibly be going that late at night? If I am going somewhere late at night I expect there to be no one in my way. Please accommodate my expectations. Stay off the freeway unless you really have a necessity to go somewhere.
You know, although it is not a peeve, it raises an interesting question in my mind.;;

I used to commute weekly to a job for several years, that required me to drive 100 miles home, leaving at 6-pm every Sunday. There was always 2-3 times the density of traffic in the winter, when it was dark, than in the summer when it was light. It made me think that people sit in their house and keep looking out the window, and as soon as it gets dark, they get in their car and drive somewhere.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Talking I always move over so this doesn't happen

Quote:
I mean, it's not like you can't see that person is going to have to merge into traffic. I just move on over, like semi trucks do, AND if a semi is in that lane next to me, I move over one MORE lane so the semi can move over, and I flash my brights so he knows it's all good.

My biggest pet peeve is the damn crotch-rockets, buzzing by you at 100+ mph, weaving in and out of traffic, popping wheelies, etc. Yesterday there were three guys on crotch-rockets doing this at what they've now said was 150+ and one of them crashed after a car in front of him switched lanes unexpectedly. He was toast, and he cause a pileup of the other bikes and a couple other cars.

I wonder if those other bikers will learn from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive