Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

I have a spare key on a wire loop behind my license plate, looped around the bolt. In emergency, I can remove the license plate to access the spare key. I make sure the plates are held on with a bolt with a screw driver slot, it can be removed with a dime or a piece of roadside trash. Plan ahead.

Cars nowadays are booby traps, and have minds of their own, are incapable of thinking of all the possibilities, and can lock you out. My stepdaughter went out and started her cold car in winter, then went around to the other side to put the baby in the carseat. Of course, as cars do, the car locked itself 30 seconds after it started (a "safety" feature), while she had the back door open installing the baby. When she shut the back door, the baby was locked in the car with the engine running and the key in the ignition.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-25-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Our vehicles cannot be locked if key is left inside the vehicle. Also just be a bit more careful before you lock and with your personal belongings. You will never need a spare. We haven't in years.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Most modern cars with key-less start make it difficult to lock your key in the car.
this. Even my wife's Sonata without key-less start refuses to lock us out. I've tried all scenarios just in case.

I remember even my '95 SUV would not lock unless I held the handle upward ensuring I'm purposely trying to do it. Other than the keyfob, that was the only other way to lock the driver door.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I carry a spare house and car key with me.
I never did before, but I went to the beach by myself recently and had a fear someone would steal my keys while I was in the water, so I put a spare key inside the car. All I need is a rock and I can drive home, I have a garage door opener to get into the house. I really don't trust those magnet key holders, I rather the key be inside the car. Yes I have to break a window, but it's only $200 to replace it and I never had to do it, and may never have to. It gives me piece of mind instead of being stuck in the middle of no where. It's not much cheaper to call a locksmith to open the door, my cousin paid $90 for emergency service on a holiday 10 years ago and had to wait around hours for them. Not to mention if you keys get stolen, chances are your wallet will be too.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I do and although I've never locked myself out of the car( I did run out of gas twice many years ago and lesson learned) its good peace of mind.
I've had some fun watching people deal with being locked out of their cars.
One was a Spanish family with several small children. The dad was trying in vain all of the door handles with the children watching. My brother provided the translation ( he assumed). Child :" Mamacita, Poppy's a stupido." Mother: "Si, Pepe, a grande stupido."
Another time a couple were freaking out about being locked out of their car. They were frazzled and not quite with it in an altered state kind of way. I noticed their car was of an age and make similar to mine, my work beater. I offered my cars door key in the off chance it would be similar enough to maybe trigger the lock. No such luck, although I did worry he'd get it jammed in his lock. "The no good deed shall go unpunished rule". They asked me to drive them some 15 miles to get a spare key but I was working , so.... Nope!..... I left them with the suggestion of finding a coat hanger.
My first car was probably the worlds easiest car to steal. I could start it without an ignition key. It had a weird possibly faulty ignition with a generator selector. I could remove the key while it was running and it would still run and by just turning the ignition rim housing if it wasn't turned all the way over and locked when I removed the key I could start the engine. Early 1960s engineering at its finest.

Last edited by Icy Tea; 07-25-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I do and it change my life. I do that already for 7 years. I have bunch of keys in one pocket and I take a separate key for car that I plan to drive and use that separate one. No more thinking if I will lock key.
I have a 2nd car key taped to the back of my license plate. Of course my car is not high on the stolen model list.

We also have a house key hidden outside the house.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

I remember even my '95 SUV would not lock unless I held the handle upward ensuring I'm purposely trying to do it. Other than the keyfob, that was the only other way to lock the driver door.

My brother used to do this. I suggested him several times not to do it and always use the key to lock the car. Once key was actually inside the car and he locked it - he's like 25 miles away from home. Learned the lesson - never did it again.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They asked me to drive them some 15 miles to get a spare key but I was working , so.... Nope!.....
I'm really not too worried about getting locked out locally, I can always call a friend to get help me, but when your 3 hours away in the mountains or an hour and a half away at the beach, that's when I worry. It's a real inconvenience to ask someone to drive 6 hours round trip because you lost your keys.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
My spare keys are in the safe at home. Where they belong.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
My brother used to do this. I suggested him several times not to do it and always use the key to lock the car. Once key was actually inside the car and he locked it - he's like 25 miles away from home. Learned the lesson - never did it again.
He would purposely raise the handle to keep the door locking but didn't know the key wasn't on him? That's a whole new level of mindlessness and indifference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive