Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times

Advertisements

10-14 kilometers per hour over the posted speed limit on nice, dry, non-residential roads. That equals 6-9 mph over the limit. Anything higher than 14 km/h over the posted limit in Ontario can give an Ontario driver "demerit points" which makes insurance rates go up.

In town, except when it's congested, expect traffic to flow at 5-8 mph above posted speed limits.

On the major highways, traffic can flow anywhere from 5-20 mph over the limit without police seeming to mind. Our limit on major highways is 100 km/h which equals roughly 62 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
I generally follow the speed limits, and gauge myself with the cars on the road with me--but I do find many are going 10-30 MPHs higher than the posted speed limit. On open back roads, I probably go faster than usual.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,377,699 times
I own a 1988 Toyota Celica convertible, called The White Tiger, and I've got to tell ya that when I find an open road, have the top down and the right music on the stereo, I can't drive 55. When I'm in traffic I behave myself but when I'm on an open straight road I have the need for speed and performance. I love a short wheel base car because they are great for holding corners.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
I have to use cruise control on the open road to keep myself legal, but set it 5 miles above speed limit. If I don't set the cruise ,my foot just keeps getting heavier and heavier. I have had a couple peeding tickets, but none for about eight years in Ohio. I was so happy when I called the courthouse there to send the fine in and found out that their court costs and fines were sooo much cheaper. Iwas thanking them, praising their system, promising to reurn the next week for another one They promised to look for me

Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM

134 posts, read 438,572 times
Default Cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have to use cruise control on the open road to keep myself legal, but set it 5 miles above speed limit. If I don't set the cruise ,my foot just keeps getting heavier and heavier. I have had a couple peeding tickets, but none for about eight years in Ohio. I was so happy when I called the courthouse there to send the fine in and found out that their court costs and fines were sooo much cheaper. Iwas thanking them, praising their system, promising to reurn the next week for another one They promised to look for me
I try to use cruise control and keep it at or no more than 5 above the speed limit. But it seems like so many people on the highway are not on the same page. For example, I'll pass a slower car in the right lane and minutes later, they will pass me, go slower than I am, etc.... By the time I can pass them, a whole bunch of cars comes up going faster so I have to brake (thus not in cruise control anymore) and wait for the faster traffic to pass.

The other day, the same thing was happening (a car passing me, slowing down, me passing them, them passing me, etc.). I got fed up and wanted some distance between us so I picked it up to 80 to get ahead with every intention to resume at 72 mph. Wouldn't you know it, a cop was going in the opposite direction and I got stopped.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,428,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Yeah-and so that puts you above the law--RIGHT???

I'm always in a hurry to get places, and there are never cops around.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,808 times
3-5 over the spimit on the interstate. it's not worth the loss in gas mileage and risk of tickets to go any faster

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
How fast over the speed limit do You go? on a recent run across MT & WY I ran 85-90 mph, it was daylight with good road conditions at nite i did the speed limit.
I drive 80 in a 75 and 75 in a 70. I usually do the regular speed limit at night and drive much slower in inclement weather. In Montana, you will often get passed by a cop if you're going 78 in a 75. I mean, the cop will want to drive faster than you. Wyoming usually isn't too terrible either. I've noticed they're tougher in Washington and Idaho.

You can usually be totally sure of not getting a ticket if you're going 5 miles over in Montana, and they'll let you go a lot of times going 83 in a 75.

One of the interesting things about your remark is that a few years ago, the speed you did just recently was essentially the speed limit. We had no speed limit, but the gray area for ticketing generally fell between 85 and 90 mph. Very few tickets were issued under 85. The law read that we had to travel at a "reasonable and prudent" speed. It was variable and subjective depending on the curviness of the road, amount of traffic, and weather. Before that, when I was growing up, you would receive a ticket for "unneccessary waste of a resource" for $5. That means, they'd ticket you for gas but not for going too fast. You could pay it on the spot and it didn't go on your record. Montana was sort of forced into speed limits by the withholding of federal highway monies so cops are a little more lax about enforcing it unless you look like you're driving some fancy city-slicker mobile (like an expensive sportscar with California plates--sorry, I'm not try to joke...I'm being honest. They probably would discriminate.).

I heard a funny thing the other day. First let me say I'm a Democrat, so I'm not trying to imply that liberals are crazy (at least not all of them). But anyway, I heard from a trucker friend that he believes that the speed limit in various states is directly related to the conservative or liberal slant in each state. For example, people in Utah have higher speed limits than those in Washington state. I don't know if it's true out east, but it seems interesting enough to consider out west. He believes that the more liberal states want to protect people from each other more whereas the more conservative states want to keep the government out of everyone's business a bit more.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
During the day I have an unfortunate tendency to do 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit on most "county highways" (some of them have ridiculous speed limits - like 30 mph for a four-lane? Come on!). On the freeways in town I usually do the speed limit to maybe 5 mph over, but when I'm coming up the really steep hill in Duluth (probably one of the biggest interstate inclines in the country) I actually go below the speed limit. I set my cruise control to 60 coming up once and my car died on the freeway. Big no-no. On residential streets in the city I usually do the speed limit or less; usually there's no posted limit, so I assume 15 - 25 mph. On the interstate between cities I tend to do the speed limit to maybe 5 mph above the speed limit, but 70 mph (the speed limit) most of the way. A lot of this is because of gas mileage. Going 80 mph to Minneapolis will get me there about 15 minutes earlier, but in doing so I risk a ticket and get worst gas mileage. You would not believe the amount of troopers sitting out on I-35 on Wednesday!

At night, I really slow down, and often go UNDER the speed limit. My lights are kinda weak on my car.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
I've gone this fast a few times...

YouTube - 1969 Cadillac 60-100 mph acceleration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive