Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

DETROIT (AP) — When Marlo Dewing went shopping for a car last year, she only had one requirement: a manual transmission.

"Any car that was only available as an automatic was a deal breaker," said Dewing, 44. "I love to drive. I want to know that I am actually driving, that I am in control of the machine."

Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Not surprising at all, they have been getting harder and harder to find for some time now. Also, the automatics are getting better and better all the time and some even have the paddle shifters. Yeah, I know nothing is like rowing your own gears and the autos just can't duplicate that. I have one of each and I must admit that driving my automatic is pretty much just as fun to drive as the manual.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
For a fun-to-drive car, I'd still definitely prefer a manual. I've got to say, however, I really don't miss it all that much. My weekend "car(s)" are actually motorcycles though. I'm fine with the weekend toy being the only manual I have. Still, are they really getting rarer? Seems like most cars that I'd really want a manual in still have one. The segment that's really missing them is, and has been for a long time, large sedans. I guess crossovers, but those really aren't sporty. The few that are, or at least pretend to be, like the CX-5 or Porsche Cayenne still have manuals if in a limited range of the vehicle.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Talk about being out of touch. Put a manual in Dart and an automatic in Alfa? Several year later they'll come and say Alfas do not del well in the US.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
BBC - Autos - The stick shift: Not dead yet

Hope this link work but for those who hate to click on them....

It basically says that a bunch of American and some European brands (many are upscale names) are keeping the stick shift alive.

The one pictured is a 7 speed manual.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,044 times
Why would you want one anyhow? Between driving, sending text messages, drinking a cup of coffee, fiddling with the radio stations, and taking selfies, shifting is just really inconvenient.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:58 PM

18 posts, read 21,077 times
I've never owned an automatic transmission and I never will. At my age, in traffic. sometimes my clutch-side hip gets painful but I can't stand the way automatic transmissions work. They always lag.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 AM

226 posts, read 319,735 times
Here's one thing that took me years to find out. I used to only own manual transmissions. All of my trucks up until this last one were all manuals. My car that is a classic is a 4 speed manual and I wouldn't have it any other way. What I learned is that cars, and in muscle cars in particular (V8 fast) that is what I like a manual in.

In a pickup with 4x4 and will be used to tow/haul a boat, I like an automatic. You can utilize that 4x4 to a much greater ability with one, you also have it much easier on the boat ramp. My trucks go everywhere and spend nearly as much time off road as they do on. The fields and woods that lead to the trails that lead me home. Dirt country roads and what have you, I spend a a lot of time off road. I prefer the auto now after finally owning one. If my truck was used mostly on the street, it would be another manual.

Any vehicle that I think should have a manual option still does.

Underpowered 4 cylinder cars and fast V8 muscle cars, what else would you want? Trucks are still available with them too if you choose one.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I suspect that manual transmissions are starting to get less common over here.

One of the old arguments against autos was that they were more thirsty, and with fuel the cost it is over here that was a big deal.

Nowadays with advanced technology that is less of the case.

Given how so many of us travel in dense traffic I wonder why more don't make the switch.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,990 times
I just bought a new Accord Sport Manual last week. It was 1 of 2 I could find within 30 minutes of me. There are none now. It sucks that with most vehicles to get a manual you have to get one with zero options (I'm looking at you Mazda!). Very few manufacturers offer manual on cars with features unless the car is sports car or hot hatch. Ford no longer offers a manual in the Fusion after having it be a special order only option and no savings to go to a manual. They currently offer it in the Focus Titanium but I'm willing to bet that changes with the 2015s hit the lot.

Are there any full size trucks you can still get with a manual? I only see autos now. I'm pretty sure there are zero SUVs and CUVs offered with manuals now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive