Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

People's cars are part of the neighborhood. They define the neighborhood as much homes do. What I don't know is if it is the age of the car or being in some state of desrepair. I must say judging by what is in my driveway I am not adding a whole lot to the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Yes, I know what most of my neighbors drive, at least the ones immediately around my house. I see them frequently after all.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
People's cars are part of the neighborhood. They define the neighborhood as much homes do. What I don't know is if it is the age of the car or being in some state of desrepair. I must say judging by what is in my driveway I am not adding a whole lot to the neighborhood.
Excellent question. This subject is important to me in many ways.

Yes, I am aware of all my neighbors cars, as I have helped them all.
I like to know how the hell they can afford all these nice cars. This is not that nice of a hood.

I m more conscious of my own drive way. As my hobbies are cars and motorcycles
Within 6 houses around me, these people have really nice cars.
One guy on my street has two Vipers. Both park outside. I am not gonna complain.
A young lady two houses over drives a Panamera turbo. She parks outside too. Not gonna complain
I am surprise, quite a few benz and bmw around here..

I work on cars all the time, but it will be done by the end of the day. I don't like cars on jack stands, I don't like junk cars in my drive way. If a job is too big, I ll do it in my garage, I flip cars sometimes for fun. but you cant tell by looking at my driveway. I try very hard not to be the eye sore of my neighborhood.

I am also in a strict HOA. It sucks sometimes, but I like it.

Last edited by Chris V; 09-17-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I know what my neighbors drive. This also has the benefit if there is a car that drives through the neighborhood constantly, yet nobody who lives on the street drives it, you learn to keep an eye on it.

I remember as a kid in MD, there was this car driving really slow through the neighborhood (think older neighborhood where nobody has moved in or out in years). Apparently like 5 houses called the police saying there was suspicious activity. The police came and all it was, was a guy trying to find a friend's house and it was hard for him to read the house numbers because all the houses were on acre size lots. I do think this was a bit extreme, but you get the idea.

Last edited by headingtoDenver; 09-17-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I dont pay attention. You can have your BMW or your chevy, just leave it in your driveway and out of mine.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I don't have any neighbors that are driving around with POS cars thankfully, although a couple of them have teenage kids that have POS cars. There are a couple Corvettes, a Viper or two, and some 911's in our development, but mainly it's minivans, SUV's, and luxury coupes. There are a few E class cars, one S class, and two Bentleys, but older models, probably worth about 60-70k.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Nothing any of my neighbors drive I would want in my driveway. Maybe the new challenger or the dodge charger if they were V8s but everything around me is pretty boring and bland to me.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
I rep some of you guys.

How can I rep you and also leave a comment?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
It's true that the more affluent the area the "nicer" the cars are going to be.

But I don't make judgements. Several of my neighbors have beautiful houses that easily sell for over a million, but they still drive unremarkable Hondas. Some of the most well off people I know drive 15 year old cars. They'd rather spend their money on African safaris.

There are less affluent areas where you see quite a few older models of luxury cars. And they can be lovely cared for.

Cars aren't a priority for everyone. For many people as long as it's in good shape and gets you from point A to point B, that's all that's needed.

The only time I'd define a neighborhood by the cars is if there's broken down junkers sitting up on cinderblocks in every other driveway and why it'd bother me is because those cars are semi-permanent eyesore.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
One of my neighbors has several very cool classic cars. A '56 T-bird, a '65 Mustang and a couple others he keeps in storage and brings out periodically.

You bet I am conscious with what's in his driveway.

Very jealous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive