Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,361 times

Advertisements

One thing I thought was funny when I bought my condo was that I bought it at the absolute lowest of low points (foreclosure that needed a lot of work,) and I always had a laugh at the fact that some of the college kids renting in the same complex had cars that cost more than my condo did. Two of the kids there had heavily modded Fast-n-Furious cars (one was a 370Z, the other that Infiniti coupe) with carbon fiber hoods and custom exhaust systems.

I'm currently renting in a dumpy apartment where everyone has thoroughly unremarkable cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What do you guys think of cars permanently parked in the driveway with a cover on them? Are they perceived as an eyesore too?
I don't see a car cover as an eyesore any more than an uncovered car, and it doesn't matter to me if the car underneath is a daily driver or future project since it is covered. Guy down the street has a '69 Goat ragtop under cover. Nice for him.

I prefer empty driveways, and I keep mine that way because I can, but I'm not going to tell someone else what to do as long as they follow local codes. That said, I dislike front lawn parkers. I think that is trashy.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
I live in a massive suburban style neighborhood, but it's a good even mix of lower middle class and upper middle class...that being said yes I know most of my neighbors' cars, even though the only neighbor we talk to is across the street and that's only every now and again when the kids want to play.

To my left is an abandoned house but to the left of that house is a lifted mid 2000s Toyota Tundra and a 2009ish VW GTI. To my right is a 2010ish Ford Edge and a late 90s Buick Regal. Across the street is a 1989-1991ish Caprice and a mid 00's Chevy Malibu. Two houses to the right is a 2004-2006ish Ford F150 and a very nice, shiny, new looking Mercedes that he keeps in the garage. Across the street and to the left is a Dodge Carvan like 2001 or so and a 1998ish Durango. 3 houses down is an old 1990s maybe 80s Sentra.

I remember more but I'm sure y'all are already bored of reading it

Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I pay close attention to what my neighbors' drive but not for the reason some of you have given. I do this for a neighborhood watch reason. I live in the back area of a trailer park. I've called the police a few times because of strange vehicles at my neighbors' homes or just hanging out within the trailer park. In the cases of vehicles just hanging out, once the police arrived and checked on the people sitting inside, I never saw that vehicle again. That told them they were spotted and the neighbors were not only watching them, but also reporting them and they've moved on to other locations. One time I called for a car at a neighbor's home and it was her adult son who was recently released from jail. I saw him going back and forth to the front and back door trying to get in. In this case, she had told him she had a key hidden under a plant but it wasn't there. She was thankful that someone was watching out for her home and all was good. He was also understanding and glad someone was watching out for his mom. Once I recognized him and his vehicle, I didn't call the police on him again.

The range of vehicles here is surprising. Two brand new Dodge Challengers, a previous generation BMW 3 series, new & old pick-up trucks, a few older Cadillacs (STS & CTS), few Nissan Altimas, and many other makes and models. Oldest car I've seen so far is a decent condition mid 90s Mitsubishi Gallant. Some newer vehicles are in worse conditions. I don't care what my neighbors drive. What they drive is what they like or can afford.
Sounds very similar to me and my neighborhood. The main reason I pay attention is indeed as a neighborhood watch type deal. There are a lot of home invasions in my neighborhood, and there are probably...jeez probably 300 houses in here, maybe more. I'm right in the middle. This neughborhood is also a popular short cut to get from 1 congested road to a different one. So I pay attention and I too have called the police about strange cars creeping down the street at midnight or parking/sitting next to my neighbors house across the street...we live on a curve/corner so they have a big side yard that people sit on sometimes. Cops too.

2nd paragraph also sounds just like mine. 2 houses down the guy has a beautiful, clean, sharp, 2007-2009 Mercedes CLS550. Then 2 or 3 houses past him is a house with 4 cars in the driveway, one an ancient cavalier i've never seen move, one is an ancient malibu with 2 year expired tags, then 2 ford minivans. Also got the obnoxious Chargers/300s/Impalas with the rims and the Corn Flakes paint job and the 3 15s etc. Definiterly a wide range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What do you guys think of cars permanently parked in the driveway with a cover on them? Are they perceived as an eyesore too?
No one around here has a cover for their car but I do think cars permanently parked in driveways or on the side of the road or in the grass are definitely an eyesore. I've lived in this neighborhood since March 2013 and across the street dude's Caprice hasn't moved once. The license plate expired in 2011.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 09-18-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
This brings up some legal issues as well. A car that is not driven anymore for whatever reason has probably expired registration, tag and insurance. What does the DMV say about it?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
There's a Pinto in every driveway in my neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Sure I notice all the time. In the last year or so we bought a new Escape, next door neighbor on one side bought a new Tahoe, on the other side they bought an Outback. Across the street the neighbor inherited an old 2003 Taurus wagon, and on a nearby side street they got a new Focus. Down the block someone is trying to sell a 1964 Thunderbird convertible.
Nothing really stands out around here except for a couple of Teslas and an Audi R10 convertible. Oh, and two blocks away a 1968 El Camino.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
One of my neighbors has a Ferrari and a GT2, but wears while velco shoes. Go figure.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I notice it because it is a bright day glow green new Camaro. Hard to miss.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Our last house we were selling all our neighbors had POS in their driveway. It made it impossible to sell the house for what we thought we could get. The comments were all "wonderful house, don't like the neighborhood".
Ditto to people who park cars all over the yard. In many cities, it's against the law to park on the lawn, but it's rarely enforced.

I moved out of a neighborhood where there were four to five cars parked in the front yard. Took a beating on the price of my beautiful house because of it.

Back to the OP, yes, I can tell you exactly what's in my neighbors' driveways, but then again, I'm a car buff. Three of us in a row have green Toyota trucks in the driveway. Confuses visitors all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive