Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times

Advertisements

just put the fob on the start button if its acting funny so it can "resync"

the 13-15 altimas that are on the road i think the lowest trim i see is the "s" and that has a start button too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
as noted there would be ecm reprogramming that would be needed, along with a fair amount of wiring changes. what those changes would be i dont know as i have not looked at the wiring diagrams for the altima.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 736 times
I am in the same boat. From the practical side of things it takes almost the same effort to push start as it does to turn a key but at least with the key I know where the keys are. As a fleet person you have no idea how much of a problem push start is-from lost keys that have fallen between the seats, vehicles left running by mistake but the doors locked with the fob inside, the increased costs of replacing the batteries in the fobs and everything in between. Push start is not new greater tec but rather it’s a marketing tool to make more money.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylesssucks View Post
I am in the same boat. From the practical side of things it takes almost the same effort to push start as it does to turn a key but at least with the key I know where the keys are. As a fleet person you have no idea how much of a problem push start is-from lost keys that have fallen between the seats, vehicles left running by mistake but the doors locked with the fob inside, the increased costs of replacing the batteries in the fobs and everything in between. Push start is not new greater tec but rather it’s a marketing tool to make more money.

Push start is not a way to make more money. It's what most people want today. And our vehicles will not let you lock the doors with the fob inside. No new vehicle will. And if you walk away from a running vehicle, it alerts you to the fact. Most people have adapted quite well to push start. I think it's great. No keys to fumble or drop. As for the fob battery, one 2032 battery every few years is not going to break the bank. I buy them in bulk for less a dollar a battery. So less than two dollars for two fobs every two or three years.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
I love push start I leave the fob in my pocket never worry about losing it.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylesssucks View Post

I can totally see your point from the point of a fleet owner....

But as the owner of 1 car equipped with it....i'll never own a car with a regular key again. I've had keyless cars now for 12 years....love it.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
On our Mercedes cars, you can take out the Start button, it just pops off. Underneath, you can insert the keyfob and turn it just like a key. It's for when the keyfob battery has run out, but if you didn't want to replace the battery, you could just use the keyfob like a regular key all the time.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM

61,733 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would think buying a fresh battery will be a LOT cheaper than the cost to custom install a keyed ignition system and reprogram the car's computer. (If doing that is even practical).
I would think that OP checked on the batteries before starting a new thread here

BTW:
Some cars are equipped with a means of starting the car manually, and some have a backup built into the key fob that work without a key. Even if your car has keyless entry, you may not have noticed that there's actually a key slot somewhere on the steering column. Use the key fob to push the START button.
https://www.crestnissan.com/blog/201...ry-is-dead.htm

Note:
Did you know that leaving your car fob inside
the car (like hiding the spare) for prolonged period of time can drain your CAR battery!
https://www.chicagotribune.com/class...13-column.html

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would think that OP checked on the batteries before starting a new thread here
Indeed.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I had an issue that the dealer missed.. I kinda figured it out on my own after a little internet research. Not sure this would be your problem, but something to consider.

I'd get in my truck, turn the key.. Wind up with "Service Theft Deterrent System".. Remove the key.. Wait a few seconds, put the key back in.. Starts up fine.

Wound up that the problem was the door fob for my office I kept next to the key, and apparently it would interfere with the transponder in the key itself. Put the door fob at the far end of my keychain.. Not a problem since.

So.. if you have a gym membership that gave you a fob, or an office door fob or similar.. Make sure they're far enough away from your car fob. Supposedly nothing is supposed to interfere, but.. It happens.

The reason the dealer missed it.. you take a car in.. What do they do? "Need your keys.. No, just the car key".. So, I took the key off my keyring, now they don't notice that I have a fob next to the car key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive