Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 09:24 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I think bad drivers are a much, MUCH bigger issue than people who speed on the highways as long as they do it safely. Speeding on city roads is a different story because of pedestrians, cyclists, traffic lights etc., but on the highway where other than other vehicles there's not much else, I don't see why the speed limit couldn't be raised from 60mph to easily 70-80mph or even 90mph.

Unless you're weaving in and out of traffic, cruising at even 90mph in good conditions isn't that difficult or dangerous as long as you know what you're doing. I think it'd be reasonable to at the very least make the left most lane be 90mph and other lanes at least 70mph so that those who don't want to go fast have an option and those that do want to go faster can.

Right now I regularly do 70-80mph on highways and it doesn't feel much different than going 60mph. I'd go even faster if I were allowed to, but up here in Toronto and the entire province of Ontario if you get caught going over 30mph over the posted speed limit you could get a 'stunt driving' ticket which is a pretty serious offense.

While more cars on the road is definitely a big problem, bad drivers doing stupid things is also a big factor as to why traffic in many cities is so bad. I'm pretty sure that if all cars were robotically controlled so that every car was driven perfectly that you could fit alot more cars on the roads and still have traffic moving along pretty smoothly. Its the fact that so many people can't drive properly, patiently and without being distracted etc. is the reason why traffic is much worse than it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

Personally, there needs to be "improved licensing levels". You should be able to get improved testing for reflexes, vision, judgement. Proper training for high speed and safety driving. Required to get higher insurance coverage, more frequent and rigorous vehicle inspections, and periodically be able to increase your level and your speed OVER the posted speed limit on the highway/freeway in optimal conditions.

I think you'd be surprised how many people would pay..... $1,000 for the license and probably several thousands for other parts to do 10mph more (legally). Finally letting those of us who want to use the roads better, to do it, and pay for it.
The easiest way would be to allow speeders to do it in the HOV lane, no less than 1hr before and after rush hour/HOV time. The biggest problem would be educating all the people who don't realize, when its not the few hours of the day that its the HOV lane, ITS THE LEFT LANE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM

35,091 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:

The easiest way would be to allow speeders to do it in the HOV lane, no less than 1hr before and after rush hour/HOV time. The biggest problem would be educating all the people who don't realize, when its not the few hours of the day that its the HOV lane, ITS THE LEFT LANE.
Problem with that is that some HOV users may actually want to do the speed limit. My thought is that overall speed limits need to be reevaluated and raised, as they were during the early 1960's. We should go back to the 85% rule on most suburban and rural highways and maybe a 75% rule on urban highways.

But 40 mph speed limits on roads like the Bronx River Parkway and 45 mph on the Central Westchester Parkway (both laced with speed traps) should be raised to modern levels. And suburban interstates such as the New England Thruway and Cross Westchester Expressway should be at a minimum returned to pre-energy crisis limits of 60 mph and maybe raised to 65 mph.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Problem with that is that some HOV users may actually want to do the speed limit. My thought is that overall speed limits need to be reevaluated and raised, as they were during the early 1960's. We should go back to the 85% rule on most suburban and rural highways and maybe a 75% rule on urban highways.

But 40 mph speed limits on roads like the Bronx River Parkway and 45 mph on the Central Westchester Parkway (both laced with speed traps) should be raised to modern levels. And suburban interstates such as the New England Thruway and Cross Westchester Expressway should be at a minimum returned to pre-energy crisis limits of 60 mph and maybe raised to 65 mph.
Whats the problem? When its not the HOV hours, its not the HOV lane, its the left lane.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
No, I do not think they are too low. The main reason is safety. DOT has shown over and over again that fatalities in car wrecks increase with speed.
Not low enough if safety is the reason. A car can kill a human at any speeds even 5 mph. The biggest safety issue these days is people not paying attention and slow reaction times.

Any big SUV going 30mph hitting a small car head on is gonna destroy it. Should we mandate a 10mph speed limit?

I've seen people running stop signs, red lights, losing control, or crashing into someone changing lanes. These are defensive driving skills that requires paying attention at all times.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 PM

35,091 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Whats the problem? When its not the HOV hours, its not the HOV lane, its the left lane.
It is not the left lane since you can only enter and exit the HOV lane at specific places, at least at the ones I know in Long Island and Connecticut.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is not the left lane since you can only enter and exit the HOV lane at specific places, at least at the ones I know in Long Island and Connecticut.
I've never driven in the northeast. In the Southwest, the HOV lanes are only on the left side.

Still not sure what the problem is if the HOV lane is a dedicated lane, Is it ALWAYS the hov lane? Anywhere around here its only the HOV lane during rush hour (6-9am & 3-7pm M-F only). Other than that is a normal lane.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
I've never driven in the northeast. In the Southwest, the HOV lanes are only on the left side.

Still not sure what the problem is if the HOV lane is a dedicated lane, Is it ALWAYS the hov lane? Anywhere around here its only the HOV lane during rush hour (6-9am & 3-7pm M-F only). Other than that is a normal lane.
Well, obviously you haven’t driven in very many places then. I hate them, but right side HOV lanes are common all over the country.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:11 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:

In the DC area we have both kinds (none on the right). Jbgusa didn't consider that not everywhere is the same as where he drives. Left lane HOV does become a regular left lane after rush hour, except on one road where it is 24 hour HOV (left lane type). On another road, that has separated HOV, the separated lanes switch directions during the day, but during rush hours it is HOV only, being converted to HOT (toll) lanes now. During off-peak times anyone can drive it part way. One road (all lanes, not just one lane) here becomes HOV only in one direction during rush hours.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
That's why I only drive 15-20mph over..

yes, speeds are not set based on todays newer vehicles, they are based on 40 year old beaters and semi trucks. Todays modern sportbike or sports car, can easily and safely do TWICE the speed limit in almost all locations, and do it better than a 20-30 year old beater that has standard worn out brakes, cheap tires, and an old rotted out suspension.

Costs & Consequences | Million Hearts
yes, they should be handing out tickets at mcdonalds.

Personally, there needs to be "improved licensing levels". You should be able to get improved testing for reflexes, vision, judgement. Proper training for high speed and safety driving. Required to get higher insurance coverage, more frequent and rigorous vehicle inspections, and periodically be able to increase your level and your speed OVER the posted speed limit on the highway/freeway in optimal conditions.

I think you'd be surprised how many people would pay..... $1,000 for the license and probably several thousands for other parts to do 10mph more (legally). Finally letting those of us who want to use the roads better, to do it, and pay for it.
That would make sense only if you had separate roads for each category of drivers. Do you really want 100 MPH certified drivers on the same roads with 60 MPH certified drivers?

Pretty sure they're already drivers paying $1,000 or more for the "privilege" of speeding.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:

HOV lanes in the northeast is a huge failure, during rush hour you have people driving just as slow as normal traffic because hybrids can use those lanes, normal cars require atleast 2 passengers aboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive