Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You admitted to not knowing much about cars before 1980. Those who are familiar with them can tell you what they are by sight...no name of brand necessary. Cars need to be badged now as they all look alike for the most part.

I have an early 90's Cadillac; what car looks like it? It doesn't need a brand name badge on it. No car does....do they pay you to wear that around and advertise for them?

60s-70s cars...most can be named by sight.

How many 40s rods do YOU actually see on the roads? I see more from the 50s and up.

Geos were actually rebadged Suzukis.
That's because the US auto industry was building tanks instead of cars. The factories didn't get retooled to car production until about 1948. Then they sold cars like gangbusters through the early '50s because of pent up demand. Also, everyone was cash rich because of wartime rationing. During the war everyone had a job, but there was nothing to spend the money on because of wartime rationing. Your only choice was a used car, because they weren't making any new ones.

'30s cars were technological disasters. Flat head engines with valve guides that couldn't be replaced, mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic, and heaters/defrosters were an aftermarket item that you had to plumb in yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:58 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's because the US auto industry was building tanks instead of cars. The factories didn't get retooled to car production until about 1948. Then they sold cars like gangbusters through the early '50s because of pent up demand. Also, everyone was cash rich because of wartime rationing. During the war everyone had a job, but there was nothing to spend the money on because of wartime rationing. Your only choice was a used car, because they weren't making any new ones.

'30s cars were technological disasters. Flat head engines with valve guides that couldn't be replaced, mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic, and heaters/defrosters were an aftermarket item that you had to plumb in yourself.
And I can't see a 30's car without thinking of Nazi and Japanese armored cars.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Must bet the cars you are looking at.

The recent new and late model cars I have owned and experienced are so much better than the 80's and 90's, there really is no comparison. By and large, the cars on the market now are very significantly better than cars of just 10 years ago in terms of materials, fit and finish, and overall quality. (Aside from a couple exceptions).
Look at the exterior design of cars compared to 20 years ago. All cars, especially Asian, look angry for some reason. Chevy and Ford took it to another level of angry. That Corvair or a Karman-Ghia are refreshing in comparison.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Fading into nothing quickly

Seriously.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I can't imagine going back to the junk in the 80-90's compared to cars today. They are 100 times better and last longer. Cars today go over 100,000 miles with no issues at all. I am at 135,000 with my Audi A4 and it feels and drives like new and I live in a horrible area for cars, Pittsburgh. Salt and potholes!

BS...a new Hyundai Sonnata would make you eat those words.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Yet the 1994 GMC Safari did, even though that was a design from 1985...
Seat belts work fine. the same people who want unisex restrooms in schools want airbags.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Ever watch an episode of Jay Leno's car show on youtube? His collection is very large and covers various important events in automotive history. If you watch him take his steam powered car out for a spin, you understand that it's less about comfort and more about that particular vehicles place in history as well as the preservation of what an owner had to know in order to drive such a car.

For me, the ultimate car to own is the 427 Cobra (built as a kit car). The curves of the body are beautiful and the raw power make the car practically undriveable for most people, but owning and driving that car is not about the features (because it has none) and it's not about the sophistication because it represents a time in performance car history when a huge motor in a tiny car won races.

I can also appreciate today's safety features and technological advances. The lightweight parts are for weight and fuel savings. They also help the car take turns better.

Watching police car chases from the late 70s and early 80s are always so funny to me. Those cars were terrible handling cars compared to today's 4 door sedans.

^^^ Same for Shelby Mustangs and the assorted GM cars you could get from Yenko, CoPo or Baldwin Motion.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,757 times
Cars today (particularly luxury models) can nickel-and-dime you for electronic nonsense. Oh well.

-Auto transmissions long surpassed manual drivers in efficiency/reliability/whatever.
-When was the last time you heard of a car overheat? In my extended family, it was a late 70s Cadillac in 1988.
-100k early middle age. Even finicky Germans/Jags are doing 250k+. Never mind Japanese vehicles.
-The ability of a car's computer to monitor operation and log faults is mind-boggling. Not as much sleuthing needed by the mechanic.
-Barring hobbyists, who "needs" to be a weekend mechanic tinkering with the car?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Seat belts work fine. the same people who want unisex restrooms in schools want airbags.
??????????????????????????????????

Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
I remember living at the mercy of car mechanics in the 1970s and 1980s. I couldn't believe anyone would sell such poorly built pieces of crap.

Today's cars are absolutely wonderful by comparison.

If you want soul, you'll have to learn how to restore antique vehicles. The closest to a vehicle with soul these days is BMW and Tesla, which are expensive. I'm happy to drive a reliable car and get soul in other aspects of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive