Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:07 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,407,005 times

Advertisements

Did the 1994 Chevy K5 Blazer have airbags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,425,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Did the 1994 Chevy K5 Blazer have airbags?
No.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
No.
Yet the 1994 GMC Safari did, even though that was a design from 1985...

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,980 times
Quote:
Yet the 1994 GMC Safari did, even though that was a design from 1985...
You'll be fine without them

Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
Quote:

Also, why are people so nostalgic for 50's, 60's, 70's cars? (in fact lots of hot rods on the road today are from the 1940s) Now I didn't live in the pre-1980 era so maybe I don't understand, but aren't most pre-1980 cars very primitive compared to what came next? I personally have a deep appreciation for the sophistication of more modern cars (think of all the seatbelts, airbags, electronic parts, etc) that seems to be unique to me.
Ever watch an episode of Jay Leno's car show on youtube? His collection is very large and covers various important events in automotive history. If you watch him take his steam powered car out for a spin, you understand that it's less about comfort and more about that particular vehicles place in history as well as the preservation of what an owner had to know in order to drive such a car.

For me, the ultimate car to own is the 427 Cobra (built as a kit car). The curves of the body are beautiful and the raw power make the car practically undriveable for most people, but owning and driving that car is not about the features (because it has none) and it's not about the sophistication because it represents a time in performance car history when a huge motor in a tiny car won races.

I can also appreciate today's safety features and technological advances. The lightweight parts are for weight and fuel savings. They also help the car take turns better.

Watching police car chases from the late 70s and early 80s are always so funny to me. Those cars were terrible handling cars compared to today's 4 door sedans.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
You'll be fine without them
That's not the point... GM used the same cargo van design from 1985 to 1994, adding airbags in 1993 even though a total redesign would happen in 1995 anyway, yet the brand new in 1992 K5 SUVs had no airbags until 1995. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
That's not the point... GM used the same cargo van design from 1985 to 1994, adding airbags in 1993 even though a total redesign would happen in 1995 anyway, yet the brand new in 1992 K5 SUVs had no airbags until 1995. It just doesn't make sense.
It might have been that due to the 4-bar-yoke steering wheel that prevented the installation of the airbag. Due to the steering wheel center born button being small.

Until gm made a larger steering horn button to accomudate the air bag

Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,980 times
Quote:
That van design lasted waaay longer, starting in 1971. I have two, both cutaway cube versions.

The government mandated that all vehicles have driver and passenger airbags in 1996, but I can see why it wouldn't make sense.

GM had been using this steering wheel for a few years in the G vans and other vehicles offered from different divisions before 1995, but I guwss they just didn't think it looked right in the C/K, and I'd agree.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
What has been lost since the 90's or even by the 80's, is the originality, and exclusivity among American cars.

I don't think the big 3 at the time really wanted to downsize and start to parts share (Cadillac, Lincoln) with their companies lower line models. But the entire industry changed because of the gas crisis, so in a way it was a good thing for the U.S. automakers as it worked out for them financially because it allowed the companies to take a more streamlined approach to development by focusing their efforts to to building cars that weren't so "different" from one another like sharing the same steering wheel, engine and trans, interior trim, body and frame construction, etc....because it's very expensive to construct thousands of parts that's only used for small period of time and made for specific vehicles.

The way GM was functioning in the 60's had of been an amazing time, as each brand was totally unique. Buick had their own studio and budget from Cadillac, same with Chevy and Pontiac. Each brand doing whatever they wanted to do with almost limitless cash flow. But as GM tried to save cost by consolidating in the 70's and 80's, it had a huge effect on how their cars were designed and built.

The 80's especially was hard times for GM, no longer was a Cadillac all that special, and exclusive to most buyers when compared to a Buick, Olds and a Chevy as they used a lot of the same parts. Even if some of them were reliable, it didn't matter, the days when one bought a Cadillac using only Cadillac parts from front to back, a huge car that made a statement using exclusive interiors and features was over with.

Consolidation is great for shareholders and any business trying to save money, but it sucks for competition and usually slowly can erode quality and service from a product since the company is trying to cut cost.

This is how the auto industry works today, never ever again will we see and feel cars that have a unique touch, styling and even craftsmanship like they did in the past. Today's vehicles are considered "disposable" even if they run great and last forever. They don't stir the mind nor the soul, and personally if a car doesn't spark my interest and feels unique, I'll look the other way.

It's interesting when you watch a TV commercial for most car AD's in recent times, what's the number one selling point you see?

1. Fuel Economy

Followed by:

2. Features

3. Tech

4. Price

Hardly ever do you hear or see the car company talking about the cars styling! Now why is that?

Car commercials in the 50s and 60's went a little like this.

"Welcome to the world of Cadillac, the most cherished, graceful, luxurious, and respected motor car this side of the pond. With its sharp styling recognized by everyone but owned by few, it's in a field of its own. Lavish and pampered interiors using only the finest fabrics, chrome metal, leathers and materials in the world, Cadillac strives very hard to make sure nothing goes unnoticed when each model is built. Carefully inspected throughout for defects, our craftsmen and test men are the best in the industry. The performance in your new Cadillac is at the very top amongst other luxury cars, with the highest Torque and Horsepower ratings. It's ride is second to none, nothing else rides like a Cadillac due to it's unique suspension design, rear 4 link coil springs, and tight body construction, a Cadillac is simply the best riding, smoothest driving, most powerful luxury car in it's class. This is Cadillac, your dream has become reality".

Also the old car commercials on TV and print AD's were beautifully done, even the magazine articles, and brochures were so colorful, tasteful, and very creative compared to what we see now.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Ever watch an episode of Jay Leno's car show on youtube? His collection is very large and covers various important events in automotive history. If you watch him take his steam powered car out for a spin, you understand that it's less about comfort and more about that particular vehicles place in history as well as the preservation of what an owner had to know in order to drive such a car.

For me, the ultimate car to own is the 427 Cobra (built as a kit car). The curves of the body are beautiful and the raw power make the car practically undriveable for most people, but owning and driving that car is not about the features (because it has none) and it's not about the sophistication because it represents a time in performance car history when a huge motor in a tiny car won races.

I can also appreciate today's safety features and technological advances. The lightweight parts are for weight and fuel savings. They also help the car take turns better.

Watching police car chases from the late 70s and early 80s are always so funny to me. Those cars were terrible handling cars compared to today's 4 door sedans.
Unless you you had the right suspension set up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive