Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 AM

806 posts, read 959,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Leasing is a bad idea financially.
Well, he also thinks leasing for 39 months is a great idea when you'll be responsible for a whole year's reg and most bumper to bumper warranties expire after 36 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Buying used can be a horrible choice or a smart choice. Don't think you're "saving" $10K simply because you can buy a used car for $10K less than a new one. It's not that simple. Used cars generally have less (or no) warranty, higher maintenance costs, less longevity, higher interest rates if you finance, lower dependability and lower trade-in values when it's time to trade again. I'd planned to buy a used Prius a year ago, but from the prices of used cars available it was cheaper to buy new. You can't make a sweeping generalization that buying used or new is more economical, certainly not a "much better deal."

If you won't be driving your car a lot of miles, an older used car should be a better deal. Ex: My wife drives her car about 1000 miles per year. (Yes, ONE thousand.) A new car for her would sit and depreciate with little advantage/little use. I drive my car 35,000 miles per year and need dependability. Our vehicle needs are very different.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
New vs Used depends on a lot of factors including how long you plan to keep it. If short term(<5 years), definitely used. so there is less of a depreciation hit.

I recently bought a new Kia Forte5 SX for $17,900. Plan to keep it for the full 10 year/100k warranty period at least as my fun to drive reliable commuter. I'm 6'7 and it's one of a very few cars that fit me comfortably with room to spare. Very light easy to use clutch that makes driving in traffic a breeze. 200+hp turbo power when I want it, 1.6 liter fuel efficiency when I don't need it. Plus, it's nice to be the first person to fart in it. I plan to pick up a weekend/project car in a year as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Well, he also thinks leasing for 39 months is a great idea when you'll be responsible for a whole year's reg and most bumper to bumper warranties expire after 36 months.

So I'm still unclear as to why you continue to harass me throughout every thread when you've been proven to be nothing more than a troll at best, and are almost always wrong, but playing along anyway...registration fees are about $60 here. I know it's probably difficult for you to comprehend, but just because something is one way one place, it doesn't mean it's the exact same everywhere. Registration fees, procedures, etc., vary everywhere.

As to warranties, a good number are 4 years, 50,000 miles. Most every automaker offers between 60,000 and 100,000 miles on the powertrain warranty. Odds are very good that you won't have any issue in months 36, 37, and 38 that wouldn't be covered by the powertrain warranty or they simply won't matter on lease turn-in.

So, yet again, you continue to be flat-out wrong, but as per your usual, I expect you to loudly proclaim that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and toss in some personal insults just in case. You're basically the Donald Trump of the forum.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 PM

806 posts, read 959,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
So I'm still unclear as to why you continue to harass me throughout every thread when you've been proven to be nothing more than a troll at best, and are almost always wrong, but playing along anyway...registration fees are about $60 here. I know it's probably difficult for you to comprehend, but just because something is one way one place, it doesn't mean it's the exact same everywhere. Registration fees, procedures, etc., vary everywhere.

As to warranties, a good number are 4 years, 50,000 miles. Most every automaker offers between 60,000 and 100,000 miles on the powertrain warranty. Odds are very good that you won't have any issue in months 36, 37, and 38 that wouldn't be covered by the powertrain warranty or they simply won't matter on lease turn-in.

So, yet again, you continue to be flat-out wrong, but as per your usual, I expect you to loudly proclaim that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and toss in some personal insults just in case. You're basically the Donald Trump of the forum.
Responding to your misinformation isn't "harassment" its called a conversation... something that happens a lot on public forums, where posters are free to respond to any post they wish and correct their misinformation, which happens quite a lot with you.

Not everyone lives in Hicksville, USA. Where I live a Honda Accord would cost $300 in annual reg fees.So you'd be paying an additional $100 a month in fees for 3 months because you mistakenly believe 39 month lease is a "great deal."

Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Chrysler, Mazda, Ford all have 3 yr bumper to bumper warranties..... they accounted for about 80% of new vehicle sales in 2015. So unless you believe people only lease MB or BMW most bumper to bumper will expire after 36 months, which means if the window motor, seat motor, a/c compressor or anything else not covered by the powertrain warranty breaks it'll be coming out of your pocket.

I hope you can finally see why a 39 month lease is never a good deal for the lessee.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Can you not just transfer that registration to your new vehicle? I've lived in all sorts of places and registration has been a <$50 affair in all of them and you could transfer it to a new vehicle if it had not expired yet.

I do know there are states out there that have high registration fees based on the value of the vehicle but I've so far managed to avoid those.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:31 PM

The local Mercedes dealer has been advertising something I had never heard of before, leasing used vehicles. Seems that's what they do with their loaner fleet or 1 year lease turn ins.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Responding to your misinformation isn't "harassment" its called a conversation... something that happens a lot on public forums, where posters are free to respond to any post they wish and correct their misinformation, which happens quite a lot with you.

Not everyone lives in Hicksville, USA. Where I live a Honda Accord would cost $300 in annual reg fees.So you'd be paying an additional $100 a month in fees for 3 months because you mistakenly believe 39 month lease is a "great deal."

Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Chrysler, Mazda, Ford all have 3 yr bumper to bumper warranties..... they accounted for about 80% of new vehicle sales in 2015. So unless you believe people only lease MB or BMW most bumper to bumper will expire after 36 months, which means if the window motor, seat motor, a/c compressor or anything else not covered by the powertrain warranty breaks it'll be coming out of your pocket.

I hope you can finally see why a 39 month lease is never a good deal for the lessee.
I fail to see how Dallas, Texas (one of the most populous and largest cities in the USA) is "Hicksville" but apparently all of Texas qualifies as that is how registration is done in Texas.

And as I said, which you apparently ignored and went straight to the "I'm right and you're wrong" portion (can I call it or what?), the odds are pretty good that you'll go the 3 months without any issues.

But please, continue making blanket statements like that something is "never a good deal."

Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

I do know there are states out there that have high registration fees based on the value of the vehicle but I've so far managed to avoid those.
CO is one of these states. Very high registration fees. An average $23K car will cost around $500-600 first year

Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Im sure I have mentioned it here before, but if you're buying a Hyundai or Kia you give up 5 years and 40k miles worth of powertrain warranty by buying used. Second owners only get the 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty. For these brands buying new may make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive