Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:36 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The tag under your name says it all ! You're special
In others words there's no difference.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Thats what I'm trying to figure out because I see people everyday looking at their radio to adjust the channel or volume etc. What about when someone looks down for a split second to turn on their air condition or heater??
The way I see it is this was a chance for an officer to write a ticket. He knows that I'm going to have to take a plea to something. In fact he said "if I meet you in Court maybe I'll plead it to a parking ticket." If he does, great, but it's up to the Judge whether to accept that plea.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For everyone above how is it different from changing the stations on a radio dial to get a traffic report?
changing a song on the phone, is a lot different than changing stations on a radio. teh phone demands more of your attention than the radio does. you got caught, get over it.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I wish they had laws against people using cell phones while operating a motor vehicle in Texas. If they did, people might actually drive.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:45 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
No law against eating French fries while driving?

Old 03-20-2016, 02:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Last night I was coming home from Scarsdale to Rye Brook. I eased into moderately heavy traffic on the Hutchinson Parkway. I picked up my phone to change the song. Not to my ear, mind you. I jockeyed to the left lane to avoid traffic heading for an exit about 1/2 mile away. I noticed I was about to pass a police car going exactly 55 mph so I slowed down to that speed. He slowed down to 50 mph so I passed him and moved into the right lane. He put his lights on.

I moved onto the shoulder. He said to keep moving to the next exit, which I did. When he approached my car window I asked "what's this for" and he said "you were texting, I saw it." I offered him to look at my phone to see if there were any recent texts. He declined. When he came back with the ticket he said "I had been holding the phone." The law in question states:

To me, this is outrageous. The officer is targeting law abiding citizens and lawful activity in order to show that he was actively doing his job. I don't think there are "quotas" but I do believe that officers are under pressure to generate activity. My inclination is to fight this one on the merits. Thoughts?
Sorry OP, but I knew 2 people who died due to people like you. No pity, no sympathy. Hope the ticket hurts enough to remind you never to do it again.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Last night I was coming home from Scarsdale to Rye Brook. I eased into moderately heavy traffic on the Hutchinson Parkway. I picked up my phone to change the song. Not to my ear, mind you. I jockeyed to the left lane to avoid traffic heading for an exit about 1/2 mile away. I noticed I was about to pass a police car going exactly 55 mph so I slowed down to that speed. He slowed down to 50 mph so I passed him and moved into the right lane. He put his lights on.
I moved onto the shoulder. He said to keep moving to the next exit, which I did. When he approached my car window I asked "what's this for" and he said "you were texting, I saw it." I offered him to look at my phone to see if there were any recent texts. He declined. When he came back with the ticket he said "I had been holding the phone." The law in question states:

To me, this is outrageous. The officer is targeting law abiding citizens and lawful activity in order to show that he was actively doing his job. I don't think there are "quotas" but I do believe that officers are under pressure to generate activity. My inclination is to fight this one on the merits. Thoughts?
You are not a *law abiding* citizen when you use your electronic device while driving because you are distracted even though you were not on a call you were not focused on driving you were focused on the device.
You earned your ticket so go and pay it and leave the phone alone while driving.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
For everyone above how is it different from changing the stations on a radio dial to get a traffic report?
I can do that without looking at the dials. Yep, know which button will get the desired station...

Old 03-20-2016, 02:54 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
I just change the song on the phone with steering wheel controls over Bluetooth. All sorts of solutions out there that do not require you holding the phone.

Even if you just had a vent mount for your phone and interacted with it there you would have been fine.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Simple answer. Don't mess with your phone when there are police officers nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive