Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:42 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,241,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol that's one of the funniest things I read today. You couldn't give me a AUDI after warranty expired. And while I personally don't care for Lexus I'll take it over a AUDI any day for the long run.
According to consumer reports new Audi's are projected to be more reliable over the long term than new Acuras. Audi has come a long way from only a few years ago, it's now by far the most reliable German brand. I'm only saying this for late model Audi's, the old ones are ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,750,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
According to consumer reports new Audi's are projected to be more reliable over the long term than new Acuras. Audi has come a long way from only a few years ago, it's now by far the most reliable German brand. I'm only saying this for late model Audi's, the old ones are ****.
Not sure how you project reliability. I'd rather go with tried and true reliability vs projected.

But as far as Japanese car manufacturers. There are the big 3: Toyota, Honda, and Nissan

Mazda and Subaru are niche players.

The others have either left the market or will soon so we don't really have to worry about them (Isuzu, Suzuki, Mitsubishi)

Mazda would the first one I suspect to either merge or get bought by a bigger company. Subaru is fine and isn't going anywhere. They have a loyal following and sales continue to climb year after year.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,227,648 times
god no.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,640,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

Mazda would the first one I suspect to either merge or get bought by a bigger company.
They already were - Ford, and that was a disaster.

I (though biased) think Mazda is on to something. The CX-5 has consistently been one of the top ranked CUV's since it's launch for MY13, and the redesigned 3 and 6 get good reviews as well. Along with the legendary Miata.

Mazda's focus is on handling and efficiency, rather than raw performance. I own a CX-5 and it is probably the most fun small SUV you're going to find, outside of a turbocharged BMW at almost twice the price.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,750,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
They already were - Ford, and that was a disaster.

I (though biased) think Mazda is on to something. The CX-5 has consistently been one of the top ranked CUV's since it's launch for MY13, and the redesigned 3 and 6 get good reviews as well. Along with the legendary Miata.

Mazda's focus is on handling and efficiency, rather than raw performance. I own a CX-5 and it is probably the most fun small SUV you're going to find, outside of a turbocharged BMW at almost twice the price.
Oh I agree. I had a Mazda5 and it was fun to drive.

But from what I have read or heard sales are stagnant or declining. The Mazda6 just hasn't caught on even though it is one of the better looking cars out there.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,012,272 times
I don't think the OP understands how complex the auto industry is.

Who owns who in the car industry: the Tube map by CAR Magazine

Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,391,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Yeh but it's 10x better than a Lexus.
Did you miss the 4th grade classes where they talk about the difference between opinion and fact?

My opinion is that AUDI is what would be called an "also ran". With German automakers I only see a few that I consider worthy. Mercedes has a long lineage and I also to a lesser extent place BMW in the mix. Back in the early 80's I thought of BMW as an also ran.

From Japan I see Lexus as the winner in bringing out a quality car. I perceive both Infinity and Acura as also ran status.

Korea with its Hyundai brand with includes Kia, isn't making a better car, what they have done is improved on what they had and brought it up to the level of other brands. That is not an opinion that is a fact.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM

528 posts, read 825,403 times
To the OP's idea, maybe someday but, not in the foreseeable future. All the Japan based automakers seem to have pretty much their own identity and loyal following. Even those with luxury divisions have done a good job of making their cars desirable and upscale while using the same platforms as their base brands. Being partial to the underdogs I am a fan of Mazda and Subaru, both have good solid products and both have a loyal customer base. A merger of these two could might work in the sense that it would create a bigger stronger company to take on the big Japan 3. Then you run the chance of watering down both brands and losing focus on what make both brands desirable.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,051,140 times
There is such a long history of wildly successful auto company mergers. Look how well Jaguar performed under Ford's stewardship (or Ford's overall health through their "buy and merge phase acquiring Jag, Land Rover, Mazda, Aston Martin...) Or the merger of equals between Mercedes and Chrysler.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but even when two companies appear highly complimentary, with specializations in different market segments (such as FCA), the end result usually is not a powerhouse automotive company.

The behind the scenes time, costs, and complications to merge unique auto companies and end up with one lean, efficient, and successful operation in the long run has proven to be monumentally difficult.

More likely, we will continue to see brands go away if there are too many.

I also have to say, if you think Lexus is a brand that just offers Toyotas with some lipstick, you seem to be in the minority as Lexus is fairly universally accepted now as the top Japanese luxury brand by a long shot, and a respectable competitor to the top German brands.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,391,561 times
Subaru is owned by FHI a company that GM used to own a chunk of. In 2005 GM sold off their part of FHI and Toyota ended up buying 40% of the shares which comes to just over 7% of FHI. Both Toyota and Subaru have been involved with joint venture projects since that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive