Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,011,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Subaru is owned by FHI a company that GM used to own a chunk of. In 2005 GM sold off their part of FHI and Toyota ended up buying 40% of the shares which comes to just over 7% of FHI. Both Toyota and Subaru have been involved with joint venture projects since that time.
BR-Z and FR-S is a perfect example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Not sure how you project reliability. I'd rather go with tried and true reliability vs projected.

But as far as Japanese car manufacturers. There are the big 3: Toyota, Honda, and Nissan

Mazda and Subaru are niche players.

The others have either left the market or will soon so we don't really have to worry about them (Isuzu, Suzuki, Mitsubishi)

Mazda would the first one I suspect to either merge or get bought by a bigger company. Subaru is fine and isn't going anywhere. They have a loyal following and sales continue to climb year after year.
Mitsubishi sales are up 17% YOY in the US.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM

126 posts, read 207,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
BR-Z and FR-S is a perfect example.
Mazda and Toyota too :] - > The Scion iA example

Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,956,227 times
Great line about Lexus being a tarted up Toyota. I had a Lexus and 2 Toyotas and I almost bought an ES350 but decided it was a "tarted up" Camry with bad rear visibility and needed a backup camera to see out of the back window to park. They charge a fortune for service on Lexus figuring if you can afford a Lexus you can afford to pay for high priced service. I don't care for the new front grilles on the new Lexus and would never buy one. The new Mazdas are awesome and we bought a 3 and its head and shoulders above anything else in that class IMHO. My brother had a Subaru and the engine blew up at 60k, I had no trouble with my Subaru and sold it with 10K on it (winter car). It was promptly stolen from the new owner who left the keys on the hood. We also had a Honda Accord and liked it (leased) but would never buy one because we have heard CVT transmissions are inherently unreliable long term.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
According to consumer reports new Audi's are projected to be more reliable over the long term than new Acuras. Audi has come a long way from only a few years ago, it's now by far the most reliable German brand. I'm only saying this for late model Audi's, the old ones are ****.
It hasn't translated over to the resale value. I've seen Audi resale value still plummet very quickly compare to Lexus or Acuras.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM

973 posts, read 917,788 times
I hope you create this thread for the lols

Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,158,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
According to consumer reports new Audi's are projected to be more reliable over the long term than new Acuras. Audi has come a long way from only a few years ago, it's now by far the most reliable German brand. I'm only saying this for late model Audi's, the old ones are ****.
Audi has always batted zero and projections are no better than opinions.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
What a trainwreck. This thread I mean. And... not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but, until ALL of this internal combustion insanity is migrated to a sustainable technology, whatever that might be, the planet is a ticking bomb.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

126 posts, read 207,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What a trainwreck. This thread I mean. And... not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but, until ALL of this internal combustion insanity is migrated to a sustainable technology, whatever that might be, the planet is a ticking bomb.
Biking is always safer

Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinmcx View Post
Biking is always safer
I'm not sure I agree. Biking has inherent risks that should not be discounted. And I am not for a second saying that cars need to go away. I said that they must go away from gasoline or diesel as their prime source of energy potential. Why isn't that clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive